Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    As the title asks what is your reload plan in the event of a self defense shooting? Do you carry a spare magazine, (speed loader) if you have to do some defensive shooting in the street, parking lot, or front room where and when will you reload the gun or will you? Is the plan to shoot until it is empty and then reload and shoot more if necessary? Are you planning to reload before for scanning for additional threats?

What is best practice on this subject and why?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I have always practiced running the mag dry and then reloading. I carry 2 spare mags.

If the fight is over I will load a fresh mag. One thing I need to practice is retrieving the mag as I change. I have always dropped the empty as I reload the fresh one.

Thanks for giving us another thing to help our mindset.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I carry AIWB with a spare mag to the left of my holster. I practice reloads from concealment so I’m competent at least. 18+1 with a spare 18 rounds.

I honestly haven’t given too much thought to when I would reload given my high capacity.

I suppose if I had cover or a lull in the fight it would dictate what I do. I’ll have to ponder this more.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I'm a proponent of the "Best possible" condition we covered during the CC league.

My philosophy used to be don't go to a place where one full mag wouldn't get you out of trouble, but I'm going to start carrying an extra mag either in a front pocket or on a mag holster.

Shoot-Scan-Change mags with retention-scan

Latewatch

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Henryville, IN
    Off-duty I carry 1 spare mag for my G19. My plan is to shoot, as required, till empty unless I get to a point in the situation where things slow down enough where I actually start thinking if I should reload. At that point I'll make an evaluation if I should or not. I've always called a "tactical" or partial mag reload a "Thinking Man's Reload" because IMO it requires a lot of thinking and evaluation before it should be considered.

My .02

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    As the title asks what is your reload plan in the event of a self defense shooting? Do you carry a spare magazine, (speed loader) if you have to do some defensive shooting in the street, parking lot, or front room where and when will you reload the gun or will you? Is the plan to shoot until it is empty and then reload and shoot more if necessary? Are you planning to reload before for scanning for additional threats?

What is best practice on this subject and why?

1. If shooting is necessary, keep shooting until the problem is solved or it won't shoot anymore.
    2. If it won't shoot and slide is locked back, reload and resume. If a malfunction is obvious, go to next gun and resume.
    3. When shooting is no longer necessary, assess and scan, then reload when it is prudent to do so (which may be during or after scanning). May reholster depending on the situation. I'm not going to remain with a gun that is not chamber loaded with a fully charged magazine any longer than is necessary. It's unlikely I will run out completely.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Was getting ready to post something similar to ^^^^^^

I suspect a reload will not be necessary for most encounters, but I have at least one available. Heck, I expect a firearm will not be necessary for most encounters, but I have at least one available.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I’m terrible about carrying extra mags. I know I should, and I know why I should... but truth be told, most times the 18rds in the gun are what I have on me.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I dont carry an extra mag on my person. I do have spares at home and in the car, and an extra in my man bag when I am packing extra gear around. But just day to day I dont have a spare on me.

Given BBI and others' stats that we are most likely to encounter a 3x3x3 (3 rounds, in under 3 seconds, within 3 feet) situation, I split the difference and keep extras nearby.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've always carried two mags at 9:00 to balance the gun carried at 3:00. Extra's are 17 rounders to the barney'd 15 rounder in the gun. Two mags on the belt actually cover better than a single mag bulge.

50 rounds on the belt allow for some flexibility. Less worry about leaving mags lay or when to drop the first one. If the threat isn't in multiples or shooting a long gun, less fear of leaving essential rounds on the floor. You can change mags when appropriate vs the monkey/football administrative mag change stuff.

If the threat is in multiples or carrying a long gun, obviously mo bang is betta...

How many spares do the boys in blue carry?

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I carry a spare mag

1. Emergency reload
    a. I have ran to slide lock (this is probably gonna be accompanied by me needing a underwear change as well)
    b. Malfunctions that are cleared by changing magazine

2. Tactical reload
    a. After a scan and assessment
    b. If under cover and tactical situation allows
    c. Before leaving cover when under fire (I have found a empty weapon is not very useful in this situation)

Note:
    IME tunnel vision, auditory exclusion, and sheer panic will prevent counting rounds heck I cannot do it in training!

BTW
    I know this guy who carries two full size M&P’s!

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I carry a spare mag

1. Emergency reload
    a. I have ran to slide lock (this is probably gonna be accompanied by me needing a underwear change as well)
    b. Malfunctions that are cleared by changing magazine

2. Tactical reload
    a. After a scan and assessment
    b. If under cover and tactical situation allows
    c. Before leaving cover when under fire (I have found a empty weapon is not very useful in this situation)

Note:
    IME tunnel vision, auditory exclusion, and sheer panic will prevent counting rounds heck I cannot do it in training!

BTW
    I know this guy who carries two full size M&P’s!

He is not ashamed of it either. :)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It depends on what I am carrying.
    1911....yes at least 1 extra mag.
    CZ with 18 in the handle not so much.

I am possibly too comfortable with the self knowledge I can hit what I a pointing my gun at.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    My understanding is that the most likely cause of a pistol malfunction is a magazine issue. That information could be wrong, but that’s why I carry a spare. Extra rounds are great, but probably not too likely to be needed in a self defense situation. Having a spare in case a malfunction arises is probably a more likely scenario.

To answer the OP, my thought is to shoot until empty or the threat stops in a self defense scenario. I would like to know the statistics of how often someone shoots through a modern high capacity magazine and needs the additional rounds. Now, if you’re still living in the land before television was invented and still carry a 1911, that may be a different story. Sorry, CM. :D

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I have been thinking on this topic some lately. Heading out to the range right now and I have some private instruction to do this evening but I hope to sit down and post the points and the observations I have. Then see what folks think.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    My understanding is that the most likely cause of a pistol malfunction is a magazine issue. That information could be wrong, but that’s why I carry a spare. Extra rounds are great, but probably not too likely to be needed in a self defense situation. Having a spare in case a malfunction arises is probably a more likely scenario.

To answer the OP, my thought is to shoot until empty or the threat stops in a self defense scenario. I would like to know the statistics of how often someone shoots through a modern high capacity magazine and needs the additional rounds. Now, if you’re still living in the land before television was invented and still carry a 1911, that may be a different story. Sorry, CM. :D

A friend of mine had the bottom of his mag fall out during a classifier at a USPSA match. It spilled every round onto the ground. You never know what’s going to happen, may as well be prepared.

Top Bottom