Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Does not matter if they come from shooting sports, practice or training there are lots of training scars that people unintentionally do to themselves. Here is a list of some that come to mind that I see in classes and matches regularly. I have done most of these things in the past and I try really hard to no longer do them. I am working or getting them out of my normal procedures. Working to be better. Please feel free to include your own observations.

1) Finish shooting and immediately re-holster. Putting the gun back in the holster is part of the drill or sequence.
    2) No scanning. Ever.
    3) Not topping off or reloading even in circumstances where allowed.
    4) No follow through on the sights.
    5) Lack of trigger finger discipline. The finger is inside the trigger guard when it should not be.
    6) No ammo left on the body to use.
    7) Taking the gun off to go home or to lunch. (WTF)
    8) Not having ammo on the body on cold ranges.
    9) Shooting faster than they can see the sights lift. Which means faster than they can stop if the threat is stopped.
    10) Muzzle discipline goes out the window they first gun problem that is encountered.
    11) Doing administrative reloads and press checking at the belt level.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Speed reholstering or speed return to ready position of choice is something I see even among those who vehemently preach against it. For some it seems like any time you are on the clock, getting the gun out of action must be done just as fast as getting it into action.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Speed reholstering or speed return to ready position of choice is something I see even among those who vehemently preach against it. For some it seems like any time you are on the clock, getting the gun out of action must be done just as fast as getting it into action.

I see a lot of people who appendix carry, holster without taking time to ensuring there are no obstructions... if the threat is gone, a quick glance at your holster to ensure no clothing, brass, etc is not a bad idea... bUt YoU aRe TaKiNg YoUr EyEs oFf ThE ThReAt....

Randy Harris

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    But honestly...you probably should not be holstering until the threat has either gone.....or is no longer physically capable of being a threat....

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Does not matter if they come from shooting sports, practice or training there are lots of training scars that people unintentionally do to themselves. Here is a list of some that come to mind that I see in classes and matches regularly. I have done most of these things in the past and I try really hard to no longer do them. I am working or getting them out of my normal procedures. Working to be better. Please feel free to include your own observations.

1) Finish shooting and immediately re-holster. Putting the gun back in the holster is part of the drill or sequence.
    2) No scanning. Ever.
    3) Not topping off or reloading even in circumstances where allowed.
    4) No follow through on the sights.
    5) Lack of trigger finger discipline. The finger is inside the trigger guard when it should not be.
    6) No ammo left on the body to use.
    7) Taking the gun off to go home or to lunch. (WTF)
    8) Not having ammo on the body on cold ranges.
    9) Shooting faster than they can see the sights lift. Which means faster than they can stop if the threat is stopped.
    10) Muzzle discipline goes out the window they first gun problem that is encountered.
    11) Doing administrative reloads and press checking at the belt level.

All good points but never ever put empty mags in pouches.

and for. CCW rounds I try not to charge magazines with fingerprints.

Patrick Taylor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2018
    Leitchfield Kentucky
    Some things I find amusing at classes.

"I would have won the ( insert class token / trinket here ) if the extra time for concealed versus open carry had been "FAIR" instead of biased against the way I carry."

"This is my class gun, I carry a smaller one WHEN I DO CARRY as this one to to big"

"I do not carry concealed with this holster but is it faster so I use it for classes and practice."

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Some things I find amusing at classes.

"I would have won the ( insert class token / trinket here ) if the extra time for concealed versus open carry had been "FAIR" instead of biased against the way I carry."

"This is my class gun, I carry a smaller one WHEN I DO CARRY as this one to to big"

"I do not carry concealed with this holster but is it faster so I use it for classes and practice."

Some people are unclear on the concept of training. Too many of them view it as a competition. Even if there are competitions incorporated into the training, the overall situation is absolutely not a competition. People who don't understand and embrace that are not making the best use of their time for defensive training.

It's similar to people who don't understand that sparring is a mutual learning experience and not a competition to see who can hurt the other person.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Is “fingerprints” slang for something, or do you really load your SD rounds while wearing gloves?

For my CCW and Bug I inspect and gauge each commercial round and load into my magazines or speed loaders with the same rubber gloves I clean firearms with. After 60 to 90 days max I will spend them on some targets in practice at the range and recharge with clean ammo.

DasOmen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2018
    Avon
    I don't particularly understand why fingerprints on your SD ammo matters? Unless you're considering ending someone for the hell of it or find yourself in shady situations a lot where you might need some deniability, I don't see the point, but this is just my opinion. In the case of a SD shooting, lets just assume it was a good shoot and you were acting in Self-defence your fingerprints being on your SD ammo shouldn't matter.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I don't particularly understand why fingerprints on your SD ammo matters? Unless you're considering ending someone for the hell of it or find yourself in shady situations a lot where you might need some deniability, I don't see the point, but this is just my opinion. In the case of a SD shooting, lets just assume it was a good shoot and you were acting in Self-defence your fingerprints being on your SD ammo shouldn't matter.

Caution may be that it is not 100% sure I care to hang around and wait on the administrative paper work of a SD shooting. It’s a paper doll world in our legal system and justice may be too expensive for some to defend.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Caution may be that it is not 100% sure I care to hang around and wait on the administrative paper work of a SD shooting. It’s a paper doll world in our legal system and justice may be too expensive for some to defend.

Well, this ranks up there with some of the worst advice I’ve ever read on INGO. So there’s that...

rebarguyindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2013
    Spencer, IN
    My dad always said "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6." I would stick around. If you leave and are subsequently found, I would guess the consequences would be more severe.

stoneytoney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 17, 2014
    indy
    I don’t know if it’s a scar, but not dry firing my rifle as much as I should. Right now it’s only 5 mins ...2 days out of the week. Just practicing sling manipulation...transitions to pistol...and some type of ready position

Right now I’m having problems with my support hand grip so I’m kind of throwing everything out the window as far as reluctantly re holstering...scanning...etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I'd have to give it some thought to find specific training scars, but I have lost a measure of intentionality in my shooting just in general. I used to be very intentional and procedure-oriented in my practice. Deliberately scanning, reloading, moving, or whatever. Now, on the rare occasion that I actually put in some work, I just do whatever. Not always the same thing, either.

Lack of deliberate action may be as much or more a training issue than training scars. In some cases, if you've burned in suboptimal actions, you're still doing something. Sometimes something is better than nothing. Sometimes it isn't.

Patrick Taylor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2018
    Leitchfield Kentucky
    Having your own place to shoot is a big plus. Much of the things taught in even the better courses is still designed for the square range and student safety ( lawsuit prevention ) and not a combative environment.

Just as an example the scans taught in classes.

Top Bottom