• teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    AAR – Campcraft Outdoors Basic Bushcraft – August 3, 2019
    https://www.campcraftoutdoors.com/

On Friday August 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] I took a half day and my daughter and I drove to Bethlehem Kentucky. We arrived at the facility after 7pm and I got us checked in with Jason Hunt who’s the lead instructor and owner of the school. The class was held at his home of over 100 acres in beautiful rolling hills of Bethlehem Kentucky.

After checking in we setup hammocks for the night in one of his “hammock islands”. My daughter was in an ENO doublenest, in a usgi patrol sleeping bag, a bugnet and tarp. I was in my dutchgear hammock using the swagman roll as a sleeping bag. The weather forecast for the night was cooling off and clear sky’s. We setup the hammocks with bugnets, but also setup the tarps for the sake of showing my daughter how to do it, but also just in case the weather changed it’s mind in the night that we could toss the tarps over easily. I woke up around 5 am cold and ended up going to the car to grab a sea to summit sleeping bag liner to use in addition to the swagman roll. My daughter had woken up too and said she wasn’t sleeping well because she couldn’t get comfortable. I think she was struggling in the hammock because it was her first night in one and she’s a side sleeper.

Saturday August 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] we got up and started packing up all our gear. We got changed into our clothes for the class and we met up with everyone in the barn for the classroom portion of the class. During the classroom part of the class Jason talked about what he called the survival triangle where God gives us directions for Passover, Pentecost, and Sukkot. As support for where he thought God was showing him these things, he listed out the following verses of the Bible:

1. Creator Gen 1:1, John 1 2
    2. Condemnation Gen 3:1-19, Romans 5:12
    3. Covenant Gen 17:1-2, Hebrews 12:24
    4. Commandment Exodus 20:1-17, Matt 19:17
    5. Christ Isaiah 52:13-53:12, John 3:16
    6. Changed Romans 12:2, Corinthians 5:17
    7. Cleansed Isaiah 4:4, 1 John 1:17
    8. Called Psalm 100:3, 2 Timothy 1:19
    9. Cross Zecheriah 12:10, John 19:17-37
    10. Comforter John 14:16, Acts 2:38
    I really liked Jason’s explanation and understanding the of what the Passover, Pentecost, and Sukkot meant and how it all related to staying in touch with God’s creation of this earth.

After the classroom portion which was just shy of an hour or so we grabbed our gear and started walking as a group. We didn’t get far before we would stop and Jason would start discussing different plants and what they can do for us and how we can use them, how God made them for us. To name a few we discussed yarrow and plantain. In addition to plants we discussed different trees and their uses as well.

At the end of the hike we stopped at a small campsite in the woods. Once there we setup camp chairs and Jason started to show us how to go about making soap. It was an interesting process to watch without a doubt, but having lye around the house was not something I was interested in doing.
    Afterwards we were shown how native americans would grind up different colored sandstone rocks to make a fine dust into paints. They took a chicken egg letting the white out and keeping the yoke and would use that with the dust making a colored paste to use as their ink. After we were shown how to do that we went for a short hike down a hill where we looked for different colored sandstones along a creek bed. Once everyone got a couple we went back to the campsite and ground those rocks into dust for the painting project of scribbling something on another flat stone.
    The next thing we did was to take an altoid tin or any tin and put strips of 100% cotton in it to make char cloth. After that was done we started working on flint and steel to get sparks. Then we combined the two and got a spark on the char cloth and blew that ember into flame using a birds nest. My daughter took a minute to get the hang of getting sparks off the flint and steel and then getting those sparks to hit the char was a little difficult, but once she got it we blew the ember into a flame using the birds nest right away and it was great.

After the flint & steel fire was completed Jason sent us out on a scavenger hunt looking for certain plants he’s pointed out before. We had to find some, and come back showing him that we’d found it and explain what it was good for.

After all of that was done it was around 5pm and Jason made everyone a turkey pot pie in a dutch oven over the fire. The man can cook and it was fantastic.

Overall it was a hot sunny day that had a fair amount of hiking up and down beautiful hills that would have any flatlander a little winded. My 10 year old daughter was enjoying that enough that even on a less than great nights sleep she was still having fun. For me as a dad, I got to spend some awesome quality time with my little girl, and I know some day when she leaves the nest she’ll have that much better understanding on how better to take care of herself and those around her.

I can't recommend Jason Hunt's Campcraft school enough and I hope to go back soon.

7IuLVKy.jpg

A5qz8C4.jpg

mmSU0Kj.jpg

tcwUzBI.jpg

BRjvbZi.jpg

gI3wkmu.jpg

RHZMnvS.jpg

VOvgesE.jpg

Top Bottom