Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
    Same gun, same place, a spare magazine. Competition, join a Gun Club that shoots IDPA. Compete. Fun too.
    This is my goal. I am thinning my "herd" to one pistol to do it all; range, home defense, carry, competition, training, not necessarily in that order.

I will still own other handguns but I'm going to commit to one.
    "If things seem under control, you are just not going fast enough"--Mario Andretti

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Latewatch View Post
    ...Someone also said that no shooting competition is a gunfight but every gunfight is a shooting competition...
    JFYI - Attributed to Massad Ayoob here - competition shooting | Team Gun Blogger

In the form, "A shooting competition isnít a gun fight, but a gun fight is most definitely a shooting competition.Ē
    Nothing is everything, but everything is something. - Ayoob

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gregkl View Post
    Yup I know. I have been dealing with some eyesight issues for a few years now so when I go to the range I spend an inordinate amount of time trying to get things lined up. It just takes practice. This is what I am working on right now. That and maintaining a front sight focus when I do find the front sight.

Once I have dialed that in so it comes into view quickly I will try some competitions. I have shot a couple of steel challenges, IDPA and have taken several training classes but anything that requires even a modicum of speed has me just getting frustrated.

I'll get there.
    I know you didn't ask for advice, but this is INGO, so . . . have you considered alternative sighting methods? Red dots, using the top of the slide, and Jim Cirrillo's "silhouette point" are a few options that can help accommodate vision issues when coupled with good trigger control.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosermann View Post
    In other words, "There is no second place winner in a gun fight." - Bill Jordan, No Second Place Winner, p101, 1965.
    Correct, and he spoke from experience!

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    I know you didn't ask for advice, but this is INGO, so . . . have you considered alternative sighting methods? Red dots, using the top of the slide, and Jim Cirrillo's "silhouette point" are a few options that can help accommodate vision issues when coupled with good trigger control.
    I am a member of INGO for the advice whether requested or not!

I like red dots but I want to be able to shoot pistols with iron sights. All my rifles are scoped at this point. I sold my Garand and my M1 Carbine because I did not want to mount an optic on those.

Shotguns I'm okay with wearing shooting glasses that blur my left eye (I'm cross dominant).

Pistol is my only struggle at this point and I think I am getting closer. I am wearing blurred left lens with built in reader in the right lens to sharpen the front sight.

Next I want to try monovision contacts and see if my brain will adjust. If this works, I will be the same whether at the range or not.

I'm not familiar with the other sighting options you mentioned.

I have thought about target focused shooting, but that seems to get poo-pooed by most everyone. Seems the mantra is "front sight focus".

I have a red dot on my .22 pistol and it's fun and my wife really likes it. So much that I'm thinking of buying a nicer one for it. (current is a BSA cheapie)

BTW, we have done a class together once. It was with Aron at the indoor range in Avon. But you were all the way to the left and I was almost all the way to the right so we didn't interact.
    "If things seem under control, you are just not going fast enough"--Mario Andretti

User Info Menu

This is my goal. I am thinning my "herd" to one pistol to do it all; range, home defense, carry, competition, training, not necessarily in that order.

I will still own other handguns but I'm going to commit to one.
    This is wise. I did that 3 years ago and started taking training more seriously. Iíve taken classes from world class trainers, shot matches, and shoot (mostly) weekly now. Iíve progressed a lot in that time span (I still have a long way to go). Focusing on one weapons system has helped tremendously.

User Info Menu

I have a 1911 that shoots great. It has a red fiberoptic front sight and a blacked out rear.

I need practice. After switching platforms to a better shooter, everything has to be relearned.

Or I can just stick to the Glock I'm used to.
    I'm gonna, riiiide 'till I can't no more.

User Info Menu

I don't see nearly the divide between the gamers and tactitards that we have in the past even as recently as 10 years ago. If I had to guess that is in large part due to all of the high profile ex spec ops guys who are now instructing that also espouse competition.
    Michael Swisher

User Info Menu

I'm not familiar with the other sighting options you mentioned.

I have thought about target focused shooting, but that seems to get poo-pooed by most everyone. Seems the mantra is "front sight focus".

Conventional iron sights are just the most commonly used tool for verifying the alignment of the muzzle with the target. They have the advantage of allowing fairly precise shot placement, but the down side is that as we age or have other vision issues, it's tough to see the front sight properly at any speed.

As long as you have good trigger control (i.e. you press the trigger and bullet leaves the barrel without significantly changing the alignment of the gun), it doesn't matter so much how to confirm alignment. For our purposes, it's very possible to learn to use the top of the slide as a sighting system. All you have to do is learn how the slide looks relative to where you want to hit the target, then consistently achieve the same visual information each time you need to fire a shot. Jim Cirrillo's method is similar and arose because he could no longer see the sights. He found that the back side of the gun (facing you) had a consistent outline when properly aligned with the target. By learning what the "silhouette" should be relative to the target, you can confirm alignment of the gun. Those are just two ways of achieving the same desired result that are less dependent on healthy, young eyes.

BTW, we have done a class together once. It was with Aron at the indoor range in Avon. But you were all the way to the left and I was almost all the way to the right so we didn't interact.
    Uh-oh! Do I need to apologize for anything I said or did? I'm not well behaved in public.

INDIANA CONSTITUTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cedartop View Post
    I don't see nearly the divide between the gamers and tactitards that we have in the past even as recently as 10 years ago. If I had to guess that is in large part due to all of the high profile ex spec ops guys who are now instructing that also espouse competition.
    I don't either.

I used to get denigrated by "defensive training" only people for being a "competition shooter" and by other competition shooters for being a tactical tommy. That doesn't happen anymore, possibly because they learned that I suck at competition and it's not worth mentioning.

Then there's also what you mentioned. I got a lot of people thinking in new directions just by mentioning that Larry Vicker's placed in the top ten at the USPSA Limited Nationals twice in the 1990s.

INDIANA CONSTITUTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast