• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    For those that include some level of physical exercise in their shooting training routine, what is it that you do that seems to work? In addition to moderate weight lifting to strengthen the shoulder that had rotator cuff surgery last year, I have two areas that I focus on with improving my shooting as a goal.

The first is just a general focus on triceps that includes working the lower arm and wrists. I can’t say for sure that this helps but the muscles that are improving are also the muscles that control recoil so I think it helps.

The second one I do is using one of the spring grip strength trainers. I use that to separate grip from trigger control. I will squeeze the grip spring thingy 10 times using only the lower 3 fingers with the trigger finger extended. On the 10th squeeze, I hold the grip trainer almost completely closed and try to maintain 1/4 inch gap at the bottom while mimicking a trigger pull with my trigger finger. Then, I do the same with the grip trainer squeezed all the way, again doing the trigger pull. 10 of these on my right hand, then 10 on the left and repeat until you can’t maintain that 1/4 inch gap or squeeze the grip trainer.

My goal with those is to separate muscle control between fingers used to grip and the trigger finger.

What are you guys doing that I’m missing? Any technique that helps improve recoil control and trigger pull?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have. My group size has decreased since beginning this earlier this year. It’s still nothing to brag about but it is on a positive trend. Where I’m really seeing the difference is in shooting revolvers SA. If I’m taking my time, I am quite happy with my shooting. I tend to practice SD shooting more though, so I tend to be happy with any hit in a 6” circle at 7 yards when I’m trying to get shots off quickly.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I have a set of grip trianers in the console of my jeep. I found that squeezing 10 times develops bad trigger pull habits. I want to squeeze and pull the trigger while in the squeezing motion. Now I squeeze the 200lb grip trainer and hold and then practice my trigger pull 17 times while holding.

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Some people like the grip trainers but most people screw up their hands doing it. I quit messing with them.

I think the biggest thing is just gripping the gun hard when dryfiring. It will naturally improve your strength as you go. If your forearms aren't wore out after 15-20 minutes of focused dryfire, you probably aren't gripping the gun hard enough.

The video posted earlier is part of a 4 exercise routine to help tennis/shooters elbow. It works to improve strength and prevent injury. Below is the more detailed explanation.
    https://spinalflowyoga.com/shooters-elbow/

Besides that, I got the most out of core exercises so I was better at keeping a stable position in awkward positions.

Last edited:

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Some people like the grip trainers but most people screw up their hands doing it. I quit messing with them.

I think the biggest thing is just gripping the gun hard when dryfiring. It will naturally improve your strength as you go. If your forearms aren't wore out after 15-20 minutes of focused dryfire, you probably are gripping the gun hard enough.

The video posted earlier is part of a 4 exercise routine to help tennis/shooters elbow. It works to improve strength and prevent injury. Below is the more detailed explanation.

Besides that, I got the most out of core exercises so I was better at keeping a stable position in awkward positions.

I had the same experience with the grip trainers. My fingers were constantly sore and stiff. After listening to Chad Reilly on the Steve Anderson podcast I tossed my grip trainers. That Shooting Show: Chad Reilly: Shooters Elbow, Plantar Fasciitis, And GRIP!

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    If you are having issues with sympathetic grip or trigger movement, they can be helpful if used right. Squeeze with the trigger finger extended and trying to keep it as straight as possible, then hold squeezed and articulate the trigger finger without changing the grip. It helps a whole lot on building muscle memory that isolates the grip and trigger actions.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    With our recruits we find that push-ups and kettlebell swings help get them ready for the range. The KB swings are great for quad/hip strength and explosive power, but also builds grip strength. Push-ups for good old fashioned shoulder/chest/arm strength. Don't focus too much to grips strength other than that. Don't really need that much actually. In reality, general strength and fitness will allow you to be a better shooter. You can have strong arms but jello for a core and the arms will be about useless. It all starts with core strength and radiates outward to the limbs.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010

I think the biggest thing is just gripping the gun hard when dryfiring. It will naturally improve your strength as you go. If your forearms aren't wore out after 15-20 minutes of focused dryfire, you probably aren't gripping the gun hard enough.

This advice is spot-on. You need to be "feeling it" in your wrists and forearms during & after dryfiring.

The problem with the grip exercisers, is that they train both hands the same way. You don't want to train both hands the same way! Your weak-hand grip is the biggest part of what the normal person needs to improve, and it's not the same as what your gun hand is doing.

The best exercise for hands/arms in shooting is sport-specific: gun in-hand, gripping hard, and doing it simultaneous with getting good (fast but accurate) index, and making the trigger work, but not more than what it takes to make the gun go off. This is better than anything you can do with grip exercisers. Your trigger finger needs to be experiencing the same level of resistance, in the same position, as it does when shooting, and making sure you're not "over pulling" the trigger in so doing.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    I’m no professional. But, ive seen training with live and dummy rounds that include very basic martial arts.

also: sparring punches are non connecting even if a block is missed. But will connect with blocks. Making arms sore and stamina reducing.

eg: two people, simply do sparring blocks and punches for a set time. When timer goes off they back off and turn 90° to target and Throw 3 COM shots. This is not about speed, safety is still adhered to. Rinse and repeat. The idea being that as your blocking random sparring punches, it raises your adrenaline and gets your mind completely away from distance and shooting. Then you have to switch mentally and in practice. After about 4 sets, the stamina and slight shaking really mimics reality, supposedly. The longer you go the worse the shooting and blocking tends to get.

FWIW: I do not know if this truly works or if this is some silly exercise some induhviduals are doing. In my dojo and with other students in my dojo, we don’t do such things ever.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Shoot some competition so that there is a little stress in your shooting.

[video=youtube;RJEfFRkWOsI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJEfFRkWOsI[/video]

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    [video=youtube;qReH_3GyYos]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qReH_3GyYos[/video]

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    This is a great thread. Lots of helpful information.

I'm especially interested in the exercise, while preventing injury stuff.

Top Bottom