Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Info Menu

Exercises to improve shooting

For those that include some level of physical exercise in their shooting training routine, what is it that you do that seems to work? In addition to moderate weight lifting to strengthen the shoulder that had rotator cuff surgery last year, I have two areas that I focus on with improving my shooting as a goal.

The first is just a general focus on triceps that includes working the lower arm and wrists. I canít say for sure that this helps but the muscles that are improving are also the muscles that control recoil so I think it helps.

The second one I do is using one of the spring grip strength trainers. I use that to separate grip from trigger control. I will squeeze the grip spring thingy 10 times using only the lower 3 fingers with the trigger finger extended. On the 10th squeeze, I hold the grip trainer almost completely closed and try to maintain 1/4 inch gap at the bottom while mimicking a trigger pull with my trigger finger. Then, I do the same with the grip trainer squeezed all the way, again doing the trigger pull. 10 of these on my right hand, then 10 on the left and repeat until you canít maintain that 1/4 inch gap or squeeze the grip trainer.

My goal with those is to separate muscle control between fingers used to grip and the trigger finger.

What are you guys doing that Iím missing? Any technique that helps improve recoil control and trigger pull?
    Ď88 (aka Ď88, the mad scientist)

User Info Menu

LIBERALISM IS A MENTAL ILLNESS

User Info Menu

Thatís pretty good. I try to incorporate the wrist roll in the tricep exercises but these look more focused

User Info Menu

Have you been doing it long enough to see results?

User Info Menu

I have. My group size has decreased since beginning this earlier this year. Itís still nothing to brag about but it is on a positive trend. Where Iím really seeing the difference is in shooting revolvers SA. If Iím taking my time, I am quite happy with my shooting. I tend to practice SD shooting more though, so I tend to be happy with any hit in a 6Ē circle at 7 yards when Iím trying to get shots off quickly.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I have a set of grip trianers in the console of my jeep. I found that squeezing 10 times develops bad trigger pull habits. I want to squeeze and pull the trigger while in the squeezing motion. Now I squeeze the 200lb grip trainer and hold and then practice my trigger pull 17 times while holding.

User Info Menu

Some people like the grip trainers but most people screw up their hands doing it. I quit messing with them.

I think the biggest thing is just gripping the gun hard when dryfiring. It will naturally improve your strength as you go. If your forearms aren't wore out after 15-20 minutes of focused dryfire, you probably aren't gripping the gun hard enough.

The video posted earlier is part of a 4 exercise routine to help tennis/shooters elbow. It works to improve strength and prevent injury. Below is the more detailed explanation.
    https://spinalflowyoga.com/shooters-elbow/

Besides that, I got the most out of core exercises so I was better at keeping a stable position in awkward positions.
    Last edited by romack991; 08-15-2019 at 21:49.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by romack991 View Post
    Some people like the grip trainers but most people screw up their hands doing it. I quit messing with them.

I think the biggest thing is just gripping the gun hard when dryfiring. It will naturally improve your strength as you go. If your forearms aren't wore out after 15-20 minutes of focused dryfire, you probably are gripping the gun hard enough.

The video posted earlier is part of a 4 exercise routine to help tennis/shooters elbow. It works to improve strength and prevent injury. Below is the more detailed explanation.
    https://spinalflowyoga.com/shooters-elbow/

Besides that, I got the most out of core exercises so I was better at keeping a stable position in awkward positions.
    I had the same experience with the grip trainers. My fingers were constantly sore and stiff. After listening to Chad Reilly on the Steve Anderson podcast I tossed my grip trainers. That Shooting Show: Chad Reilly: Shooters Elbow, Plantar Fasciitis, And GRIP!
    Last edited by JCSR; 08-15-2019 at 21:48. Reason: add link
    LIBERALISM IS A MENTAL ILLNESS

User Info Menu

If you are having issues with sympathetic grip or trigger movement, they can be helpful if used right. Squeeze with the trigger finger extended and trying to keep it as straight as possible, then hold squeezed and articulate the trigger finger without changing the grip. It helps a whole lot on building muscle memory that isolates the grip and trigger actions.

User Info Menu

With our recruits we find that push-ups and kettlebell swings help get them ready for the range. The KB swings are great for quad/hip strength and explosive power, but also builds grip strength. Push-ups for good old fashioned shoulder/chest/arm strength. Don't focus too much to grips strength other than that. Don't really need that much actually. In reality, general strength and fitness will allow you to be a better shooter. You can have strong arms but jello for a core and the arms will be about useless. It all starts with core strength and radiates outward to the limbs.
    On the other side of fear lies freedom.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast