• ...and so much more!
  • Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    One exercise is dry firing without the gun moving. This will translate into more accurate shot placement.

Edit: Not every pistol is ok to dry fire. If not, use snap caps. Most centerfire pistols can. Some can't, such as the CZ52. The firing pin stops on a shoulder in the middle of the firing pin and will snap at the shoulder after so long. Rim fire 22's can not be dry fired. The firing pin will hit the steel breech face.

Last edited:

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    I used a G-Sight bore laser to do 'dry fire'. I shoot at a paper target at up to 10 yards indoors with my Android phone running the app to record my hits. I also used the Itarget app as it will compute a score too. After a few weeks of almost daily dry firing (about 100 shots a session), my live fire improved greatly. The laser was about $40, there are a half dozen makers of similar if not identical lasers. I was using it in my Browning 1911-380, you can use it in a striker fired gun, you will just have to rack the slide for each shot. The ejector does not have anything to grab on to so the laser stays in the chamber. Use a pencil when done to push it back out of the chamber.

The laser was bright enough for me to see the momentary flash on the paper with indoor lights on. I have shot mine about 6,000 times with the laser in the last two years.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Place an upright cartridge on the end of your slide - fire without filching and dropping the cartridge.

Set up a target on the wall, draw, move, fire. Practice "getting off the X". Practice drawing from you're every day carry setup (i.e. under a shirt if you CC).

Practice tactical reloads.

If you're concerned about your firing pin, get some snap caps.

Oh, if you're going to be rechambering carry loads, (A) get a bucket of sand & (B) rotate cartridges to prevent bullet setback.

tcause17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2019
    Sellersburg
    Place an upright cartridge on the end of your slide - fire without filching and dropping the cartridge.

Set up a target on the wall, draw, move, fire. Practice "getting off the X". Practice drawing from you're every day carry setup (i.e. under a shirt if you CC).

Practice tactical reloads.

If you're concerned about your firing pin, get some snap caps.

Oh, if you're going to be rechambering carry loads, (A) get a bucket of sand & (B) rotate cartridges to prevent bullet setback.
    That’s really good. Thank you!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The LaserLyte training cartridges are very handy. When you pull the trigger and get a streak of light instead of a spot of light, you know that you have to work on your trigger control. When you can consistently get just a brief spot of light, you are getting to the point of pulling the trigger without moving the gun.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Dry practice is a great way to improve your gun handling skills as well. Practice your draw and reloads. It will help tremendously at the range.

tcause17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2019
    Sellersburg
    The LaserLyte training cartridges are very handy. When you pull the trigger and get a streak of light instead of a spot of light, you know that you have to work on your trigger control. When you can consistently get just a brief spot of light, you are getting to the point of pulling the trigger without moving the gun.
    That sounds really nice actually. Where can you get them?

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    There is a thing on the end of your gun which accomplishes the same purpose of the laser.

And, you can leave it on the gun during live fire.

:):

Top Bottom