Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

User Info Menu

Training AR for instructors? What are the options?

I'd like an AR that is functional for manipulation drills, malfunction drills, demonstrations, and teaching but not capable of firing. I've used an airsoft gun at carbine clinics but is limited in use to demonstrating basic gun handling skills.

I like what Yeager had in video posted up by Bwframe but I don't know if that is a commercial thing or if he simply removed the firing pin from an AR and painted it.

A blue gun is expensive and noting moves.

Thoughts? Ideas? Experience?

Here is bw's thread.
    https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/l...functions.html

The video with the AR I'm talking about.

https://youtu.be/d2tJA7KyUHI
    Putting firearms' contribution back in our history makes a more complete telling. Teaching marksmanship in that context deepens the understanding. Revere's Riders, because history involved guns!

User Info Menu

The video so it isn't on the first post which messes up the ability to see the post.

Putting firearms' contribution back in our history makes a more complete telling. Teaching marksmanship in that context deepens the understanding. Revere's Riders, because history involved guns!

Patriot, Pater, Plinker obijohn's Avatar

User Info Menu

I use a blue gun and a gutted airsoft gun that Rhino modified. The airsoft rifle is clear. Between the two, there is never a chance to mistake either as a functioning weapon.
    Rifleman
    NRA Endowment Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    USPSA NROI

Adaptive Consulting & Training
    Riley Conservation Club

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To Prevail...you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SmileDocHill View Post
    I'd like an AR that is functional for manipulation drills, malfunction drills, demonstrations, and teaching but not capable of firing. I've used an airsoft gun at carbine clinics but is limited in use to demonstrating basic gun handling skills.

I like what Yeager had in video posted up by Bwframe but I don't know if that is a commercial thing or if he simply removed the firing pin from an AR and painted it.

A blue gun is expensive and noting moves.

Thoughts? Ideas? Experience?

Here is bw's thread.
    https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/l...functions.html

The video with the AR I'm talking about.

https://youtu.be/d2tJA7KyUHI

Whether something like what Yeager has is commercially available or home grown, it's not going to be a small investment. It's a cool idea and I see the utility, but I don't think it's worth the investment just for the few things that you can't do with deactivated airsoft replicas ("bull**** guns," as they were labeled by the late Louis Awerbuck).

If cost isn't an issue, then rendering the bolt inert and slugging the bore past the chamber on a real rifle followed by painting and labeling would probably work really well, or better yet, an inert bolt carrier group and a dummy barrel that only has a chamber and no bore. Ideally, I'd prefer something with a magwell and magazines that are slightly small than an AR to prevent insertion of live ammo. You'd need custom dummy rounds to match, but cost isn't an issue in my thought experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by obijohn View Post
    I use a blue gun and a gutted airsoft gun that Rhino modified. The airsoft rifle is clear. Between the two, there is never a chance to mistake either as a functioning weapon.
    I wondered what happened to those! Now I remember!

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Just guessing, but I'd bet it's just painted red and he took the firing pin out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by obijohn View Post

not a big fan of Blue guns or other toys. I have seen them misused more than once.
    "See you on the Range"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper Jim View Post
    not a big fan of Blue guns or other toys. I have seen them misused more than once.

That's a great reason for you to not use them. Solved!

INDIANA CONSTITUTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

Stay Picky my Friends

User Info Menu

You could use something like this in an existing one.

https://www.botach.com/blade-tech-ar...training-bolt/

I thought there were a few more training bolt options but I can't find any others at the moment.

Just kidding... I see they discontinued it. Dangit.

Quote Originally Posted by Que View Post
    I've banned a couple of people while in church.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OneBadV8 View Post
    You could use something like this in an existing one.

https://www.botach.com/blade-tech-ar...training-bolt/

I thought there were a few more training bolt options but I can't find any others at the moment.

Just kidding... I see they discontinued it. Dangit.
    Did those allow chambering a round? If so . . .

INDIANA CONSTITUTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

Stay Picky my Friends

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    Did those allow chambering a round? If so . . .
    I don't think so because I believe you run that bungee thingy (techincal term) down the barrel. Although I guess if you didn't do that part, then maybe?

Could probably 3d print a BCG with a hollowed out bolt with just enough to chamber a round but nothing behind it. I guess it'd be hard to run malfunctions possibly without chambering a dummy round

Quote Originally Posted by Que View Post
    I've banned a couple of people while in church.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast