ACT DP205b Low Light Skills 7DEC19 Conservation Club

EVENT: DP205b – Low Light Skills
    DATE: 7 DECEMBER 2019
    TIME: 17:00 approx. start time; class will last about 4 hours
    INSTRUCTOR: John Viray, assisted by ACT staff
    TUITION: $95 prepaid
    PREREQUISITES: DP101 (or equivalent); instructor approval REQUIRED
    DESCRIPTION:
    DP205b “Low Light Skills” is a brief version of our DP205 that offers an introduction to defensive handgun techniques applied to low light or total darkness situations. The class will focus on the use of modern, high intensity flashlights and their applications to defensive use in conjunction with handguns. Topics will include acquisition of information, use of handheld flashlights both with and without firearms, use of weapon-mounted flashlights, use of supplemental sighting devices (e.g. lasers), use of tritium night sights, etc.

This class is not appropriate for inexperienced defensive shooters. You don't have to have completed classes with us, but I reserve the right to final approval on all students. If I don't know you and you wish to participate, please contact me via email (not PM): john@adaptiveconsultingandtraining.com

** PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS CLASS WILL INCLUDE LIVE FIRE DRILLS. **

GEAR LIST & RECOMMENDATIONS:

• Reliable, high-intensity handheld light; lanyard recommended
    • Back-up light (optional)
    • Spare batteries (recommended)
    • Spare lamps (if your light uses incandescent lamps)
    • A couple of feet of 550 cord to make a lanyard (optional)
    • Low intensity "task light" for navigation and checking targets (optional)
    • Weapon-mounted light (optional)
    • Inert replica of your pistol if you have one (e.g "Blue Gun" or similar that fits your holster; optional)
    • Concealment garment
    • Pistol, caliber consistent with defensive needs
    • 300-500 rounds of ammunition (how much you need depends on how much you choose to fire)
    • 5 or more magazines or speed loaders. More is better to avoid delays on the line.
    • Magazine or speed loader carriers
    • Strong side belt holster (IWB holsters are fine) that covers the trigger guard and allows one handed holstering
    • Pistol belt
    • Eye and ear protection. Electronic muffs or vented earplugs suggested for allowing easier hearing of range commands.
    • Billed cap
    • Please dress appropriately for outdoor activities according to the weather and allow for moderate physical activity. We will shoot, rain or shine, so consider bringing rain gear.
    • Remember that you may be shooting while wearing gloves. Wear the gloves you normally wear during cold weather.
    • You should bring snacks and fluids of your choice. Snack bars or power bars are great to keep in your shooting bag. Water or a combination of water and sport drinks work best. ACT will provide bottled water.

We will be meeting at Bandanas for BBQ before the class.

Last edited:

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    [h=2]I just wanted to share what one student has to say about this course.

Low Light is coming! (reviewed)[/h]
    Low Light Pistol

I’m writing a review of an upcoming course that I have taken a few times from ACT, out of Terre Haute, IN. I must include a brief bio of myself before continuing so that I may give due credit to the ACT crew and you may all prejudge whether I could have anything of value to say or just hot air. I spent a fair career on Active Duty Marine Corps in the black chevron mafia; trained over 22,000 shooters myself and received firearms and weapons handling training across the globe. Some good, some bad, some government funded, others out of my pocket. All different. Different environments. Different gear. Different guns. Different instructors. Different purposes and different range facilities.

The ACT low light course usually unofficially begins at Bandana’s BBQ joint in Terre haute, just 15 minutes from the range, and for a reasonable price one can be well fed and get to know most of the other shooters before arriving at Riley Conservation Club’s clubhouse for the necessary classroom portion of the course. You’ll receive standard fair classroom instruction on proper weapons handling, gear manipulation, and safe conduct while on the range. Don’t forget, it’s a low light course and things are different with the lights turned off. John Viray is no spring chicken, has a storied history in the combat arena before we all wore tan cammies and knows his stuff regarding all things CCW civilian sector. To that end, the lack-of knowledge in students is predominantly gear related. John will identify many issues before they bite you on the range.

RCC: the conservation club charges an incredibly reasonable annual family membership fee for use of the range, fishing ponds and woods. Their range is one of the best I have had the luxury to use in all of my time. Sure, there are no truly long ranges. But if you can stretch your legs on that 22lr to the available 265-yard line, you’re the man. There are numerous pistol bays, and all are outfitted with loads of steel and in various configurations. There are barrels, snow fence obstacles, and makeshift walls and windows throughout to include awnings, tables, chairs and nearly anything else a guy could ask for on a range. It truly is fantastic and at an unbeatable price for (did I say family) membership. My wife and kids had a wonderful time on numerous picnic outings with dad at the range. Not something that could be easily pulled off just anywhere, and safely. Many of the bays allow shooting in three directions and there is rarely a crowd. I used to take sandbag and KB and PT on the range. Nothing to check your skills like a racing heartbeat intermingled with trigger time. But, I digress.

The classroom portion complete, it is time to head to the range. Things begin on the range as soon as the sun sets. Not when then sun is still out, but when it’s actually dark outside. I saw numerous shooters with decked out blasters, having lasers and lights and handheld lights and night sights and whatnot but couldn’t get rounds on target because they had never actually used the gear. Spend all the money you want on gadgets, but it’s time behind the trigger on a range that you need. Many shooters wouldn’t work the bugs out until 30 minutes into the course. You might want to sort this out before you decide to use your piece in real life and death engagements, and this professionally supervised training is the best place to do just that. This is not a high round count course and there is no requirement for gear outside basic light and pea shooter, ears and eyes, which, as a significant but side note, makes this class incredibly affordable. I choose to carry just as I would in every day life. This meant a wheel gun and surefire pen light. I know some choose to carry a full combat load out, but that’s not most, regardless of what you want to say on social media, and besides, that mess of gear is welcome at the class, too. I just chose to carry as I would any other time. I didn’t buy any additional gear and didn’t need it. I can say without hesitation, I learned more on this course than I could have expected. It’s the only shooting course I actually want to attend annually (That’s every year, for my fellow crayon eaters) without the need to change anything. All other training is intentionally rotated, but this is the one that can’t be missed if any.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    If you need review on low light or even initial training on the subject. This is a prime opportunity.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Yum. They should have Coca-Cola products by now.

I was going to ask if we’d see Rhino this year, but when I read “head to the range and set up” I knew.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Funny, Barry. The Rhino may make an appearance.

Reminder to all: Be prepared for the weather. Forecast is for mid to low 30's after dark. Should be fairly clear skies, but we all know that weather forecasting is voodoo.

Looking forward to training with you all!

Top Bottom