• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Looks like this company has run classes at TopGuns in Terre Haute. This video was suggested to me by YouTube, which was encouraging as we all know about YouTube's trend to remove gun related content.

I ran into another of the gent's vids a bit back when doing a YouTube search of some sort. It appears as though this company makes a lot of video, a fair amount of the content is noticeably long, not the typical 5-6-7 minute blurbs. That's a real plus for me, as one who likes to have video playing in the background at work.

Wonder if any INGOers were at these classes and what they thought?

[video=youtube;mQzDGBFQuwg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQzDGBFQuwg&t=862s[/video]

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Never heard of him but I like his personality and I am curious.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Watched several of his videos over the last week and find his stuff mostly agreeable. I don't know him from Adam, but I would be interested in feedback from someone that does.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I've been watching his Videos for a while now. I also listen to his podcast (The Higher Line) - which I also recommend.

I've not yet trained with him, but I hope to. Actually, I'd kind of like to have him down for a class here in central Indiana - but I don't know of any place that'd host him like Top Guns did over in the Haute.

His normal stomping grounds are the FAR NW 'burbs of Chicago. Minimum 4 hours from Indy - closer to 5 with a pee stop and traffic. BUT I have a free place to stay up there for a few more months...

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I know the posted video is an edited compliation. But I wonder how precise his instruction is. He says you see my point or something similar several times.

A reference to point shooting made me cringe a little bit as well but we do not have the full context and defintion of what he means.

I need to do some more research.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I know the posted video is an edited compliation. But I wonder how precise his instruction is. He says you see my point or something similar several times.

A reference to point shooting made me cringe a little bit as well but we do not have the full context and defintion of what he means.

I need to do some more research.

I still cannot remember exactly what the first video of his was that I seen, but it was hardware specific I think. I don't recall being that particularly impressed.

This video turned up in a YouTube suggestion when I accessed their site, before I searched for anything. I was happy to see them recommending any gun related content.

The point shooting reference made me roll my eye's also, but we'll see. I'm happy that there is a lot of their content to watch. Unless the guy just starts into really stupid stuff, I'll likely be able to sift some helpful info out of his vids.

I watch a fair amount of Yeager vids for the important little helpful tidbits. There is a strong likelihood that I'll never even consider training with TR. Even Jay Gibson makes some pretty good video content, when he's not downrange with a camera. :n00b:

There is stuff to be learned from trainers who have covered a lot of ground training on their own. I don't think we have to fall in lockstep to pick up some good parts.

Last edited:

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Seems like a decent guy and makes good videos!

This goes into my issue with instructors I grew up in environment where instructors had a base amount of experience before even being considered to be qualified to be a instructor.

In the Army we have “badge hunters” they go to every school possible but never apply the skills in a operational unit.

In the civilian world anyone can attend Thunder Ranch and then hang out a shingle!
    It’s my training money and time now I even have to pay for ammo, weapons, hotel, travel, food.

Brad’s rules for instructors

Marksmanship training
    Demonstrated ability to shoot?
    Competition shooter with awards and wins?
    Can I learn from this person do they shoot better than me?
    Will I learn new Skills and benefit from the training?

Defensive pistol training
    Background/experience
    Training approach
    Using real world situations
    mindset
    Does the instructor care about hitting the target?

High Speed Carbine, Low Light, Zombie Apocalyptic stuff
    Just about have to be LEO/MIl with a big resume
    This level requires years of experience in many disciplines that are almost impossible to achieve without doing it for a living and other people paying for it.

Carry Trainer seems like a cool guy I guess for a pistol class might give him a chance if I was bored and it was cheap.
    We have trainers on INGO that are probably a better value and IMO more experience instructors.

stoneytoney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 17, 2014
    indy
    His S12 events looks awesome!

Three days of:
    Medical training
    Pistol training
    Rifle training
    Great food

Also $1k+ for entry and bring your own ammo.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia

This goes into my issue with instructors I grew up in environment where instructors had a base amount of experience before even being considered to be qualified to be a instructor.

In the Army we have “badge hunters” they go to every school possible but never apply the skills in a operational unit.

In the civilian world anyone can attend Thunder Ranch and then hang out a shingle!
    It’s my training money and time now I even have to pay for ammo, weapons, hotel, travel, food.

Marksmanship training

Background/experience
    Training approach
    mindset

This level requires years of experience in many disciplines that are almost impossible to achieve without doing it for a living and other people paying for it.

Carry Trainer seems like a cool guy I guess for a pistol class might give him a chance if I was bored and it was cheap.
    We have trainers on INGO that are probably a better value and IMO more experience instructors.

most training companies bring something to the table some better than others however the number one disconnect is the students commitment to actually practice (a lot) the info he just paid for. The work starts when the class is over. Real practice happens at the range, preferably an outdoor range set up for the purpose of shooters getting better. There is no beginning or end to being a student of the gun. Just a trek to get to your personal best which as we grow older is always changing.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia

Marksmanship training

Background/experience
    Training approach
    mindset

most training companies bring something to the table some better than others however the number one disconnect is the students commitment to actually practice (a lot) the info he just paid for. The work starts when the class is over. Real practice happens at the range, preferably an outdoor range set up for the purpose of shooters getting better. There is no beginning or end to being a student of the gun. Just a trek to get to your personal best which as we grow older is always changing.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    How to not shoot yourself...

;)

NSFW

[video=youtube;VkW6MnrNZWw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkW6MnrNZWw[/video]

dekindy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2020
    Noblesville
    I took his 2-day pistol class at Top Guns in Terre Haute last Summer. He lives in Illinois, has been politically active supporting the 2A. I felt like I got good instruction and my money's worth. Indoor range is limiting, would take outdoor class next time.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom