Invest in Your Disciplines. Choose Wisely.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Opie Smith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2019
    Columbus
    ***Link to the YouTube/Full 30/FaceBook videos below***

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzwW2Jn65Ww

https://www.full30.com/watch/MDIyOTQ4/invest-in-your-disciplines-choose-wisely

[url]https://www.facebook.com/GrindstoneTraining/videos/759949521174891/

[/URL]

How much do you think about your training? How strong are your skills?

You are probably here because of your interest in firearms, for one reason or another. Firearms, as it relates to training for fighting (self defense, home defense, police/military, etc), is a specialty of the discipline of fighting. Disciplines are just areas of study. Within the fighting discipline you have gun fighting, edged weapon or melee weapon fighting, empty hand fighting like striking or grappling. The list goes on and on.

This can be applied to other areas of study like Medical, Survival, Fitness. At the end of the day we can only learn so much. We have to ask ourselves what we want to learn and how skilled we want to be at it. Over the years we can develop a large skill set. Until then, we need to pick and chose where we invest our time.

Look at your life, determine what skills are the most applicable/useful, start training.

Last edited:

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I started my self defense journey learning empty hand when I was a kid. I earned a 2nd degree brown belt in Shorei Goju Ryu Karate. Since then I have developed my pistol skills. That's where I spend most of my time, effort, and money these days. I am fortunate though in that I brush up on empty handed skills a few times a year for work (mostly ground fighting).

I think my next step will be taking tactics based courses and force on force courses. I have my pistol skills up to an acceptable level (not that I'm content with where I am) to be able to add that next piece.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    A couple of years ago, I switched from live fire to FoF training, from airsoft, to Sims, to UTMs. I still practice live fire bi-weekly, I’ve yet to get back into a dojo for H2H, but still feel I have a solid base of empty hand. I may be wrong there, but hitting the mat at my age tends to hurt more and longer. If I have the time, money and ability, I still take live fire training classes, but I think I get more from abbreviated FoF training with real world scenarios. I was destroyed when Shay lost his space, and hope he finds somewhere else to continue his scenario based training.

Top Bottom