• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Not sure where this should go, but I think this is the best fit.

My daughter (age 31) is not especially fond of guns. She did recently express an interest in archery, though, and I’d like to assist her in that endeavor.

I know nothing of value related to archery.

I’d like some suggestions of a bow for her and whatever accessories she needs. I’d also like to know where she can learn to shoot it and practice.

I am thinking that Santa reads INGO and may well drop off some of the items suggested, but I’ll probably let her pay for some of the equipment so she has some skin in the game.

Thanks in advance!!

Blessings,
    Bill

Indyal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    What type of archery? Traditional such as recurve or longbow? Compound? Target? Hunting?
    Three shops that I know about in central Indiana that have a large selection of bows and employees that know archery are Honey Creek Bait and Tackle, the Outdoorsman, and Bass and Bucks. They also have indoor ranges.
    In June, there is the traditional archery nationals in Cloverdale. There are vendors that sell new and used bows and matching arrows. There is a try out range.
    Be sure she is not overbowed, meaning she can easily pull back and hold full draw.
    the arrows must be matched to the bow to have accuracy.
    Regards

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Not sure where this should go, but I think this is the best fit.

My daughter (age 31) is not especially fond of guns. She did recently express an interest in archery, though, and I’d like to assist her in that endeavor.

I know nothing of value related to archery.

I’d like some suggestions of a bow for her and whatever accessories she needs. I’d also like to know where she can learn to shoot it and practice.

I am thinking that Santa reads INGO and may well drop off some of the items suggested, but I’ll probably let her pay for some of the equipment so she has some skin in the game.

Thanks in advance!!

Blessings,
    Bill

Not sure where you are located 'cause I'm running short of bacon too...

The IWL hosts a group called Women in the Outdoors (a sub-group of the National Wild Turkey Federation I believe). They instruct in the use of bows among other things. Up here in the Fort they have a week long camp in June.

They might also be able to work on that anti-gun stance a little too by presenting a non-threatening environment in an atmosphere of women instructing women with oversight provided by the DNR.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I would suggest starting with a compound bow as it will likely be easier and more forgiving for a beginner to learn with. Something like the Diamond Prism would be a good option since it has a large adjustment range for draw length (18"-31") and draw weights(5-55 lbs.). You will need to take her to a good bow shop to have her draw length measured properly and set up the bow properly for her. Good bow shops are difficult to find, of those already mentioned I only have direct experience with Honey Creek and the Outdoorsman but have heard good things about Bass and Bucks. Honey Creek is good but doesn't have a full time archery person so you should call in advance to see when someone will be there. They do have a fairly nice indoor range though. I can't really recommend the Outdoorsman.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Thanks very much for your input, everyone. She is 31 and 5’3”. I’m in the general area of Lafayette and the main thing I wanted to avoid was a salesperson talking me into crap she doesn’t need and won’t use. There is an outdoor store at 65 and SR 25 that I’ve been to but it’s been years, and of course Walmart, which I suspect is useless for what I want. I went to Dick’s sporting goods at the Tippecanoe mall, but I didn’t know what I was looking for, so that was pointless.
    So where to go from here? :dunno:

Blessings,
    Bill

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    It would be a long drive, but there is a place northeast of Fort Wayne (Grabill area) called Sportsman's Cove.

I've been there a few times. They have been around for several years and recently moved to a larger location. The guys there eat and breath bows. They have an indoor range, cross bows and more kinds of those fancy new little compound camming, whisker biscuit, fiber optic, trigger release fanciness than you can shake a stick at.

I have heard they are more than willing to help guide noobs for appropriate fit and what-not.

If it is that important to you, give them a call.
    (260) 627-8443

I can't vouch for them personally but they have a pretty good reputation. They sell some firearms and a little bit of reloading stuff too.

Top Bottom