• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    For INGOERS that play with External Hammer Firearms, I thought we would do an informal survey on how many thumb cock the hammer before racking the slide on pistol or lever actions when charging the chamber?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Never. :)

Lke, I don't think it ever even occurred to me.

I guess the idea would be to save wear on the hammer or something?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I guess the idea would be to save wear on the hammer or something?

It makes the slide easier to rack. The hammer spring is now out of play. If you have marginal hand strength it can be a big difference. When my dad could still carry a semi-auto I showed him to do it that way. Since I have no hand strength issues I have no need for the extra step.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    It makes the slide easier to rack. The hammer spring is now out of play. If you have marginal hand strength it can be a big difference. When my dad could still carry a semi-auto I showed him to do it that way. Since I have no hand strength issues I have no need for the extra step.

Fair 'nuff.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I don't.

When I was younger hunting deer with a 35 REM lever action, I would charge the barrel and let the hammer down. Then cock it when I was ready to shoot. I can't imagine being able to lever a round in without spooking the deer.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    carmel
    Ive used it as a tactic to introduce to physically weaker shooters, older ladies and such, to allow them to manipulate the slide easier..but as far as personal use, no, i dont ever thumb the hammer back before chambering a round

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Only for inspection, cleaning, maybe dry-fire, or teaching a weak-handed shooter how to get by. In prep for actual shooting, no. So I guess for the original question about doing it when chambering a round, no I do not.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Back in the day on the line to make ready it was common for shooters to thumb back the hammer and hold it while they charged their gun. Holding the hammer while dropping the slide was always an indication of an uncertain sear/hammer that could follow. Many 1911 owners tweaked their actions past the safe point. If your hammer follows on anything upon charging easy or radical you have an unsafe gun.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I have an older Colt Commander that it sure helps to do it on...

Had that issue on an old surplus semi auto pistol...seems like it was either a broomhandle or something else, maybe a tokarev? Heck, maybe both. Cocking the hammer before chambering a round made things a lot easier whatever it was. That's been years ago, so I don't remember the details of which gun.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

^This^^^^

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Back in the day on the line to make ready it was common for shooters to thumb back the hammer and hold it while they charged their gun. Holding the hammer while dropping the slide was always an indication of an uncertain sear/hammer that could follow. Many 1911 owners tweaked their actions past the safe point. If your hammer follows on anything upon charging easy or radical you have an unsafe gun.

I can remember old bullseye guys telling me they held the _trigger_ back while charging the gun. The reasoning was that you are gripping the gun firmly while dropping the slide and all safeties are disengaged, so if the hammer followed and the trigger is forward, the disconnector is _not_ engaged, so it's not just going to fire one round - it's going to cook off all 5 of them. So in the event of a hammer-follow, having the trigger held back engaged the disconnector and at least limited the hypothetical damage to the shooting bench and your ego to just the chambered round. (I guess your idea of just holding the hammer back dispenses with all this unpleasantness...but it never occurred to me to point that out, while in the midst of such imparted wisdom). My first thought was, "Gee, I never thought of that," and my second thought was that they must be shooting one of those unsafe old "tweaker" guns you speak of, with the trigger job done by so-and-so in one of the prisoner shacks between days at Camp Perry.

A legal 3.5 pound minimum trigger should never do that, however, these kinds of tips seemed to come from the guys wearing band-aids on their thumbs for pulling alibi re-shoots, back in the days before the rules were changed...so that tells you the type of person you're probably dealing with.

Last edited:

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I can remember old bullseye guys telling me they held the _trigger_ back while charging the gun. The reasoning was that you are gripping the gun firmly while dropping the slide and all safeties are disengaged, so if the hammer followed and the trigger is forward, the disconnector is _not_ engaged, so it's not just going to fire one round - it's going to cook off all 5 of them. So in the event of a hammer-follow, having the trigger held back engaged the disconnector and at least limited the hypothetical damage to the shooting bench and your ego to just the chambered round. (I guess your idea of just holding the hammer back dispenses with all this unpleasantness...but it never occurred to me to point that out, while in the midst of such imparted wisdom). My first thought was, "Gee, I never thought of that," and my second thought was that they must be shooting one of those unsafe old "tweaker" guns you speak of, with the trigger job done by so-and-so in one of the prisoner shacks between days at Camp Perry.

A legal 3.5 pound minimum trigger should never do that, however, these kinds of tips seemed to come from the guys wearing band-aids on their thumbs for pulling alibi re-shoots, back in the days before the rules were changed...so that tells you the type of person you're probably dealing with.

Yep to this. If I had my way there would be no alibi rules in Bullseye. When I run a rimfire match the shooter has ten rounds only to fire and score each string. It is his problem if he brought crap that don't run.

Top Bottom