• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wethepeople

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Shelby County
    Hope this is in the correct forum. Recently had back surgery and 3 days after getting home my wife got up @ 4:30 am and was walking into the kitchen when she noticed the interior lights were on in her vehicle. She hollered for me I got up and went to the back door and noticed our motion detector lights were on but didn't see anyone for about 30 seconds. Then saw 2 punks walking from the front of our home to the back towards the vehicles and garage in plain sight as the motion lights light up the driveway light the sun. Of course they had coveralls on and full face ski masks. Probably not the wisest choice but I went outside unarmed as all weapons were still in the safe which I put up before surgery and hadn't got my usual CC out. We live in a very rural area SE of Indy and hadn't had an issue in over 35 years. Ran them off. Not sure what I would have done if there had been a confrontation but thank the Lord that didn't happen. Needless to say but they or one had been in the vehicle and left and were coming back when I saw them
    Shelby county sheriff K-9 came and never even got the dog out. We did not hear or see any vehicles so they left the immediate area on foot. Was very dissapointed that he only walked around and actually walked right by a towel that evidently fell out of one of their pockets which I found after putting on more than skivies. Called again he came back and put it in an evidence bag. End of story. Kind of disapointed.

My question is what is everyones experience with the ring flood light cams and other brands. My research found that the ring doorbells and ring spotlight cams actually notify you with a few seconds of detecting motion. Would love to hear some feed back regarding anyones experience with them before I drop several hundred bucks.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It's a bit unnerving that these thieves were prepared for lighting and came right into it?

My system is very low budget. USB webcams looking out the windows using motion detecting security software for recording.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    These people are not fearful anymore as you saw by how much effort the LEO put into finding them. Sad. Not all are this way but hey, with the catch and release programs in place why should they.

We have an 8 Camera security system that covers everything so no surprises when something goes bump n the night. The daughter lives next door and they have the same system. We can access hers with the phone or laptop so we see "EVERYTHING" and hell to the no do not go outside unarmed. What were you thinking man. These punks have no morals or respect for life these days. If they do not fear the light then they may not fear confrontation.

I guess my next question would be why is everything locked up. You just had 1st hand reason why not to do that.

No knock. None. Just be prepared. These are troubled times.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Lock all things always, it's the easiest prep for security.

Like CM we have security cams and motion lights covering all approaches recording 24/7. Also, running outside in your skives to confront a couple of obvious criminals at night is not a good choice. Good luck with hardening your home.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    He's not the only one. I ran out after a ding dong ditcher who just happened to do it while I was 15' away from the door and on my feet. At the time I just saw a young teen reaching for my storm door handle (it was locked) not realizing he was reaching for the bell. I yelled and bolted up the half flight of stairs and out the door after the kid. We had a tense but brief conversation and stern talking to about why its no longer prudent to do that today. (idiots with itchy trigger fingers that dont understand the law)

I turned around to walk back inside and there is Mrs Monkey, pantsless, and breastfeeding one of the mini monkeys on the front porch. I had been talking to her when I saw the kid and she followed me out to "help". After I asked "What exactly were you going to do with an infant in your arms that would be a help?" It was at that point she had the same epiphany as OP. Probably not the best choice. :):

Glad it all turned out OK though.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    He's not the only one. I ran out after a ding dong ditcher who just happened to do it while I was 15' away from the door and on my feet. At the time I just saw a young teen reaching for my storm door handle (it was locked) not realizing he was reaching for the bell. I yelled and bolted up the half flight of stairs and out the door after the kid. We had a tense but brief conversation and stern talking to about why its no longer prudent to do that today. (idiots with itchy trigger fingers that dont understand the law)

I turned around to walk back inside and there is Mrs Monkey, pantsless, and breastfeeding one of the mini monkeys on the front porch. I had been talking to her when I saw the kid and she followed me out to "help". After I asked "What exactly were you going to do with an infant in your arms that would be a help?" It was at that point she had the same epiphany as OP. Probably not the best choice. :):

Glad it all turned out OK though.
    CKW used to do that as well. Not pantless or breast feeding but prone Togo on the offensive right behind me.
    It took several discussions and building a solid plan for her to realize she was a liability in these matters and not a help. O

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    It's a bit unnerving that these thieves were prepared for lighting and came right into it?

My system is very low budget. USB webcams looking out the windows using motion detecting security software for recording.
    If they think no one is awake, then lighting is like a red carpet. If theyre concerned with being filmed they can just cover their faces. if your lights & cameras can't notify you for action then IMO the system is incomplete

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If they think no one is awake, then lighting is like a red carpet. If theyre concerned with being filmed they can just cover their faces. if your lights & cameras can't notify you for action then IMO the system is incomplete

I do recall jailhouse interviews where convicted burglars said that often times always-on lights dont always deter them when they think nobody is around, but they dont like motion lights because if someone is around it calls attention to them.

But they do seem to be getting more brazen.

abeguzmanmarine

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    TERRE HAUTE
    My question is what is everyones experience with the ring flood light cams and other brands. My research found that the ring doorbells and ring spotlight cams actually notify you with a few seconds of detecting motion. Would love to hear some feed back regarding anyones experience with them before I drop several hundred bucks.

Very good. the ring cameras that tie directly into 120vac where your old flood light used to be are excellent. They have a good picture and yes they notify you quickly and accurately with the motion zones you set. it costs $30 a year per camera for unlimited video storage. Which is outstanding.
    I actually have credentials in this field, I have been in the security industry for 21 years, I am currently a project manager for a large security company and travel all over the country currently installing high end camera systems with analytics and LPR. So I know a lot about this field. The camera systems I am currently installing average $250K to $375K per site, they are obviously very high quality and have great software to back them up. That being said I have Ring cameras at my house. The price point and ease of software and low annual make them (in my opinion) the best the consumer market has currently. As a company we have tried multiple platforms besides the Ring, but we have the most success with them. If you have any questions about Ring or anything in this area please PM me and I can also tell you what you need if you want to do a standalone alarm system that makes noise without having false alarms for animals.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Let's see, Ring had a security issue a while back where people were seeing the pics of OTHER people's front porches (their doorbell cams), and there was an article on Fox just this week about a family that had a wireless ring cam in their child's room compromised by a third party and spoke to their kid.

For me and mine, cloud based and/or wireless cameras are out of the question for home security (wireless maybe for ad hoc, temporary installs). All mine are PoE wired with on site storage. I want control over the storage, and I don't want uncontrolled remote access to the cameras.

abeguzmanmarine

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    TERRE HAUTE
    Let's see, Ring had a security issue a while back where people were seeing the pics of OTHER people's front porches (their doorbell cams), and there was an article on Fox just this week about a family that had a wireless ring cam in their child's room compromised by a third party and spoke to their kid.

For me and mine, cloud based and/or wireless cameras are out of the question for home security (wireless maybe for ad hoc, temporary installs). All mine are PoE wired with on site storage. I want control over the storage, and I don't want uncontrolled remote access to the cameras.

this had nothing to do with Rings security, the hacker logged into the customers account which had "weak account security"
    these could also be compromised by someone having weak security with their ISP router as well or leaving equipment at default.
    even your security equipment can be hacked if you leave your router at default or your dvr on default. theres a back door to almost every type of security equipment. being in the industry as long as i have i know almost every back door to most all equipment.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    this had nothing to do with Rings security, the hacker logged into the customers account which had "weak account security"
    these could also be compromised by someone having weak security with their ISP router as well or leaving equipment at default.
    even your security equipment can be hacked if you leave your router at default or your dvr on default. theres a back door to almost every type of security equipment. being in the industry as long as i have i know almost every back door to most all equipment.

This is true. But just the mental aspect that it can be done is not easy on the mind. And I say this with all respect for what you do.

We have our stand alone hard wired attached to the router but not with out password protection. But as you say there are ways around most everything.
    That said I will pass on my info being.....wait for it....."Out there"
    Screw the cloud. Some one is running that and people in and of themselves cause a lot of the security leaks we hear about. Not that I am fort knox on any level. :):

My system is so I can see whats is happening in the compound. The 30" TV in the bed room is set to the system. If something wakes us up I merely grab the remote on the nightstand right next to the 10mm 1911 and turn on the TV. Bingo, instant access to the property. In this I am not overcome with the desire to run outside in my skivvy's unarmed and with no knowledge of what I will be facing. Works very well for us.

Daughter next door has the same system. They overlap on some viewing fields.

I m sure there are much better ways to do this but I am really OK with what we have done.

abeguzmanmarine

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    TERRE HAUTE
    This is true. But just the mental aspect that it can be done is not easy on the mind. And I say this with all respect for what you do.

We have our stand alone hard wired attached to the router but not with out password protection. But as you say there are ways around most everything.

that beinhat said I will pass on my info being.....wait for it....."Out there"
    Screw the cloud. Some one is running that and people in and of themselves cause a lot of the security leaks we hear about. Not that I am fort knox on any level. :):

My system is so I can see whats is happening in the compound. The 30" TV in the bed room is set to the system. If something wakes us up I merely grab the remote on the nightstand right next to the 10mm 1911 and turn on the TV. Bingo, instant access to the property. In this I am not overcome with the desire to run outside in my skivvy's unarmed and with no knowledge of what I will be facing. Works very well for us.

Daughter next door has the same system. They overlap on some viewing fields.

I m sure there are much better ways to do this but I am really OK with what we have done.

standalones will always be more secure than cloud based simply because of what you said "other people" that make mistakes. i agree with that. but as soon as you connect your standalone to your router it no longer is "as secure", at least its password protected and hopefully you have also disabled all defaults on your ISP router as well. (just password protecting your wifi is not the same as securing your router)

that being said, op asked specifically about Ring, and in my opinion for the price point its outstanding. and cloud based doesnt scare me as much as it used to, everything we do in life is cloud based anymore. everything. EVERYTHING! so whats one more thing? im truly more concerned about my bank, my 401k, my ira. whats the downside to someone hacking Ring to see a billions people front doors and back yards recorded video?

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    He's not the only one. I ran out after a ding dong ditcher .

I did the same sort of thing once to a midnight door beater...but it was with a maglight and Ruger P90. Next day we got a door hanger from the local security system installer...think he might have been out drumming up business.

Also, all of our cameras are hardwired with local storage only and no internet access.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

This. Just ran across an article discussing a hacker podcast.

"Software to hack Ring cameras has recently become popular on the forum. The software churns through previously compromised email addresses and passwords to break into Ring cameras at scale. This has led to a recent spate of hacks that have occurred both during the podcast and at other times, several of which have been covered by local media outlets. In Brookhaven a hacker shouted at a sleeping woman through her hacked Ring camera to wake-up. In Texas, a hacker demanded a couple pay a bitcoin ransom. Hackers targeted a family in DeSoto County, Mississippi, and spoke through the device to one of the young children."

This is a good reason not to use the same email/password combo everywhere. If you do when say, I dunno, Jerry's discount online Jerky" website gets hacked and the hackers start trying the various banking websites using the user/password combinations they pulled down in the hack, they are able to get into your bank account because you use the same password everywhere.

And on a related note, my users at work are getting fun emails from hackers trying to extort bitcoin from them. It goes something like this

TO: Bill@email.com
    Subject [a password Bill uses]
    Good day, sir. As you can see, we know your password. And we know you frequent [insert naughty website here].

If you do not scan the 2D barcode below and deposit $300 in bitcoin into our account, we will tell everyone you enjoy...

You get the picture.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... that being said, op asked specifically about Ring, and in my opinion for the price point its outstanding. and cloud based doesnt scare me as much as it used to, everything we do in life is cloud based anymore. everything. EVERYTHING! so whats one more thing? im truly more concerned about my bank, my 401k, my ira. whats the downside to someone hacking Ring to see a billions people front doors and back yards recorded video?

I've worked in the IT audit, security, policy, and privacy industry for 20 years. Well aware of the risks, safeguards, etc. Thanks, but no cloud-based or wireless cams for me.

What's the downside to someone hacking Ring, seriously? We all know Ring has expanded into the indoor camera space. Ring isn't just doorbell cams any longer.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've worked in the IT audit, security, policy, and privacy industry for 20 years. Well aware of the risks, safeguards, etc. Thanks, but no cloud-based or wireless cams for me.

What's the downside to someone hacking Ring, seriously? We all know Ring has expanded into the indoor camera space. Ring isn't just doorbell cams any longer.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^BINGO^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Cameras are great for the use that CM stated and are a important part of a total security package.
    But a camera is only going to document the “Hill’s have eyes” guy that wants to enter you house in order to prison rape you.
    IMO
    Security should be planned from the inside out with a worse case scenario as the baseline.

Humans - Drills for the family even children where does everyone go and what’s each individuals action?

Weapons- Where are they, what’s the status and type availability? Locked and loaded or empty chamber? Who is qualified to use them? Is everyone prepared to stop a threat?

Physical barriers - Doors, Windows, safe room, exits, gates, fences, locks on sheds, garage

Electronic barrier- Cameras, Alarms

Outliers- LEO response time? How close are other houses? What’s the crime rate? War game your threats!

ID your “redline” where you will fight.

Top Bottom