• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Wasn't that Bruce Lee's created style?

Yes, kinda. Jeet Kune Do, is basically Bruce Lee saying "whatever works for you, best, use it." There's no set program that applies to everyone. For instance a fat guy is going to be sling roundhouses Tae Kwon Do style, like a thinner guy, and a slight guy is going to be at an obvious disadvantage to against a bigger opponent when attempting to grapple.

peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    They have a Groupon right now, one month unlimited for $65. Thought it might be worth checking out as I’ve never done any JKD and only a very limited amount of Wing Chun.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    What are your goals? On the north side of Indy, for the same $150 a month, I'd sign up at Fishers BJJ and Boxing. Train ground and standing and avoid gimmicky businesses. Watching the video on their website, the first demo on the ground was a scissor sweep. Fundamental BJJ sweep and a move I like quite a bit. The standing demo is utter BS. Even at "full speed" it was an unrealistic setup. Learn how to fight on the ground, learn how to take a punch, to punch and to kick. Learn to to choke and what it feels like to be REALLY choked, full speed, 100%.

peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    No real goals to be honest, I’ve done 10th Planet BJJ, krav, boxing, etc and really just curious to try their program as I’ve never done any JKD. At $65 I figure it may be worth it to find out first hand. Didn’t have the markers of a Mcdojo but the “self defense” class makes me wonder.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I will beat you up for $72.50! Choking somebody out is a additional $17.50!

Listen to the Denny people attempt to beat him up daily. I will take someone to the ground before I do a standing punch contest.

peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I will beat you up for $72.50! Choking somebody out is a additional $17.50!

Listen to the Denny people attempt to beat him up daily. I will take someone to the ground before I do a standing punch contest.

I hear you and really don’t want to go down the pugilist vs grappler conversation but for me it’s more tools in the toolbox, in with what I find useful out with the things I don’t.

I have much respect for BJJ at any level but it doesn’t fit every situation in my opinion.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    No real goals to be honest, I’ve done 10th Planet BJJ, krav, boxing, etc and really just curious to try their program as I’ve never done any JKD. At $65 I figure it may be worth it to find out first hand. Didn’t have the markers of a Mcdojo but the “self defense” class makes me wonder.

I'll be mean guy, and say what everyone is is tiptoeing around. The place look low budget, and the instructor doesn't look like he could fight his way out of wet paper bag.... with scissors. You can find a number places locally that will square you away, and have the reps to back up their training.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    Jeet kun do is NOT karate. It was 1 particular style by Bruce Lee. He was ever officially regarded by many of the styles he ripped apart and slammed back together to make his style.

mono respect for those who came before him or trained beside him.

if you want a martial arts style pick a style that is widely regarded at least.

Krav Maga, Shorin-Ryu, Shorinkan, Goji-ryu, etc. stay a step away from MMA centered ones. They fight with rules. Defense and street need survival rules.

peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'll be mean guy, and say what everyone is is tiptoeing around. The place look low budget, and the instructor doesn't look like he could fight his way out of wet paper bag.... with scissors. You can find a number places locally that will square you away, and have the reps to back up their training.

This is what I’m looking for, I didn’t want to disparage this business online as I haven’t tried it but it does look a bit gimmicky. Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something as the $65 deal was enticing.

Appreciate everyone’s input btw.

id really like to find a seminar or course for grappling with a knife, I plan to hit ECQC this year and want to get some mat time beforehand.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    This is what I’m looking for, I didn’t want to disparage this business online as I haven’t tried it but it does look a bit gimmicky. Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something as the $65 deal was enticing.

Appreciate everyone’s input btw.

id really like to find a seminar or course for grappling with a knife, I plan to hit ECQC this year and want to get some mat time beforehand.

If youre not far from Fishers, there's a Krav place that's pretty solid.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    Top level martial arts in crawfordsville has one of the top level Okinawa Karate teachers Tom Ward. Trained under Eddie Bethea one of the original 7, sent directly from master nakazato to bring traditional Okinawan karate to America.

if anyone knows defense, and any other style it’s them

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Top level martial arts in crawfordsville has one of the top level Okinawa Karate teachers Tom Ward. Trained under Eddie Bethea one of the original 7, sent directly from master nakazato to bring traditional Okinawan karate to America.

if anyone knows defense, and any other style it’s them

Shorin-ryu, ain't no punk. I started out with that as a kid, but I found it too structured. Almost like the Japanese version of Wing Chun; not stylistically, but rule wise. Though you punch like a freight train once you have some time in.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    Shorin-ryu, ain't no punk. I started out with that as a kid, but I found it too structured. Almost like the Japanese version of Wing Chun; not stylistically, but rule wise. Though you punch like a freight train once you have some time in.

you might really enjoy top level. They throw in defense, street work, even some Krav Maga and pistol defense work. Along with how kata can be used in a real life situations and the basics. Sure structured around the traditional, but very hard to beat. He even does Kobuto.

have stick will travel. Seen a rolled magazine used as aa effective tondo? I have.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    What are your goals? On the north side of Indy, for the same $150 a month, I'd sign up at Fishers BJJ and Boxing. Train ground and standing and avoid gimmicky businesses. Watching the video on their website, the first demo on the ground was a scissor sweep. Fundamental BJJ sweep and a move I like quite a bit. The standing demo is utter BS. Even at "full speed" it was an unrealistic setup. Learn how to fight on the ground, learn how to take a punch, to punch and to kick. Learn to to choke and what it feels like to be REALLY choked, full speed, 100%.

Which video?

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    if you want a martial arts style pick a style that is widely regarded at least.

Krav Maga, Shorin-Ryu, Shorinkan, Goji-ryu, etc. stay a step away from MMA centered ones. They fight with rules. Defense and street need survival rules.

How do they practice with real contact and real energy if there are no rules?

One of the primary advantages of sports or martial arts like MMA, BJJ, Judo, Wrestling, Boxing, Musy Thai, etc, ect is they can practice, train, and compete with real energy and real intensity. There is no theory. Things work or they don't and you know it. There is real value in this in the same way there is real value in Force on Force simulations and scenarios.

If you go to a class where they mainly teach things you can't practice with real energy, at full speed, and live contact because its "too effective" or they think the MMA rules the MMA fighter trains with will leave a gaping hole they can exploit with an eye jab, well.... maybe. I'm betting the MMA fighter can figure out how to do that eye jab or break your fingers, or kick you in the junk.

He also has a good base in, striking, standing grappling, ground work, chokes and locks. It may not be perfectly applicable to self defense but his training methods will make him easily adaptable.

I'm not disparaging any of the styles you mentioned. I'm not saying they don't also do these things. However, it seems rare to me that a person with only a traditional martial arts background has the same ability to apply things in real time that a similarly experienced practitioner of these other "sport" disciplines do.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    There are things taught like breaking necks. And gouging eyes. You cannot perform the last 10-15% but it is there. MMA and BJJ have rules against many joint manipulations. In defense situation you want to destroy, not knock out with submission or break an arm.

Top Bottom