Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I read through it yesterday. A good read not a hard read at all. Don't let the word count scare you away.

It seems the two big problems are that people do not want to believe they are in danger from criminals, and they want someone else to solve their problems for them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I read through it yesterday. A good read not a hard read at all. Don't let the word count scare you away.

It seems the two big problems are that people do not want to believe they are in danger from criminals, and they want someone else to solve their problems for them.

Bingo.

And as the light of reality is shining brightly right now many of those folks are freaking the heck out and scrambling.

Warrior

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Wow.
    That was worth reading every word. I'm inspired to increase my training and preparedness.

jwright2882

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2019
    Greenwood
    I’ve got a stupid question. Per the law, where is the line of self defense? I obviously understand if I don’t act that it may not matter because I will likely be shot (or gravely injured). And I know you can’t hesitate. So if you have a carry license, is it okay (per the law) to defend yourself with a gun when you perceive a violent threat? I’m not trying to incite any argument here, just looking for personal advice. I have always struggled with this question. I mean, you don’t have time to contemplate “can I prove this was self defense?”.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    You are justified in using deadly force in Indiana if you or a third party is threatened with death or grave injurythe person is committing a forcible felony, or is unlawfully attacking your dwelling or occuppied motor vehicle.

If I don't shoot them right now will I die?
    Yes. Then shoot them.
    Maybe. Do something else.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I’ve got a stupid question. Per the law, where is the line of self defense? I obviously understand if I don’t act that it may not matter because I will likely be shot (or gravely injured). And I know you can’t hesitate. So if you have a carry license, is it okay (per the law) to defend yourself with a gun when you perceive a violent threat? I’m not trying to incite any argument here, just looking for personal advice. I have always struggled with this question. I mean, you don’t have time to contemplate “can I prove this was self defense?”.

First of all, not a lawyer. I'm sure some INGO legal eagle will be by with the legal info for Indiana at some point. I'm just a normal guy who carries on a daily basis. My thought on this is that if I believe I'm in fear for my life, I'm defending myself and will worry about the possible fallout afterwards. I read a lot on the topic of carrying a gun and brush up on the laws as much as I can, trying to stay educated on this topic. I also make sure I attend training classes as often as I'm able. That said, I'd rather use deadly force in a situation where i believe it's needed than to not do so or hesitate and be wrong. At least I'll hopefully then be alive to deal with any consequences.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I think the "reasonable person" standard applies here. Would a reasonable person look at what happened and say that was the correct course of action.

wingrider1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2014
    Harrison County
    A few months ago, Gila Hayes, of the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network (ACLDN) interviewed me about developing the right mindset to deal with violent crime. The transcript of the interview wound up being over 5,000 words. While we’re all stuck at home this might be a good time to brush up on this important topic. See

https://rangemaster.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Givens_Willingness_v2.pdf
    This is worth the read. It is an eye opener about the statistics we here about.

jwright2882

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2019
    Greenwood

Thanks to all of you for your responses. I highly respect your opinions and this helps a lot.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

Indiana IC 35-41-3-2. Having a working understanding of this law will allow you to be confident in your decisions if the time comes.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Don't be Yossarian walking around backwards with your guns drawn. But...when it's GO time it's Go time. Courage, aggression and tenacity will often win even if you are working from a training deficit. It is the conscious willingness to defend yourself, your family and others from wrongdoing that can make the difference between winning and losing. If you are standing around questioning what you should do next, or if you should do anything at all, you have already lost.

Top Bottom