Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Staying at home and finding productive things to do on Spring Break.

So yesterday March 26 I started the first dry practice of 2020. Decided I would focus on the EDC to start. Things are not really calming down and chance favors the prepared and so forth. I worked up a small list of drills to work on. Trigger meet sights 1, and Trigger meet sights 2, draws from concealment to the right side at about four yards on a 1/3 scale USPSA target. Draws from concealment on the left at three yards on a 1/3 scale USPSA target. Move of the line of force to the right and left and deliver three rounds to the body and two to the head on the FPF training target at just over three yards. Moving off the line of force and delivering six rounds on some or all of these same targets. Trying to increase trigger finger speed on these runs, and form the habit of squeezing more with the weak hand.

Yesterday was about getting par times figured out and noticing how rusty I was. Today I was trying hard to be observant of what was and was not happening in front of my face. I noticed a lot of front sight movement during draws. Working to minimize that movement. Flat foot draw work seemed fine as far as grip, but when I starting moving off the line of force my right hand was squeezing more than it should. I tried to work on more grip with the WH. That will be a point of focus in the coming days.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    [video=youtube;QC_SvydBUl4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC_SvydBUl4[/video]

When the rain stopped today I decided to social distance myself to the range. I put the SASII from Bul through some drills. The gun ran very well. I plan to start writing up the review for Front Sight Magazine in the morning. Jake and I are going to do another day at the range as well. I just needed to get to the range today.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I have been dry firing in 2020
    Just not as consistently or as varied as I had planned.
    The work schedule has been nuts, it kind sucks to be essential....until you stop and think about it for a minute.
    I have been defaulting to the steel challenge banners because they are easy to set up.
    I typically do 5 to go , pendulum and outer limits because I suck at those 3 the most.
    I'm kind of on call now so I'm going to try and add some more stuff in tomorrow.
    I glad you started this thread up again
    It reminds me to do something...anything is better than nothing

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Dot torture
    Pendulum
    5 to go
    Outer limits
    18-06
    Both strings
    18-04
    El strong and weak pres
    Alot of strong hand /weak hand after a reload.
    Still hunting the dot at times one handed.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Just finished the routine. Started sweating with this stupid cover garment, and the fan has not been set up yet. So I knocked the right hand ride draws from concealment off and shed the garment. Did Bill Drills at 10 yards to work on weak hand gripping. More grip with WH was a point of emphasis today.

Got some writing to do.

bullitstang1313

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Columbus
    I setup 99-24 (Front Sight 2) and ran some dry fire drills out back. Continued to speed up the par time by .1's to push myself faster. Need to live fire it to ensure my practice is paying off.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    [video=youtube;QC_SvydBUl4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC_SvydBUl4[/video]

When the rain stopped today I decided to social distance myself to the range. I put the SASII from Bul through some drills. The gun ran very well. I plan to start writing up the review for Front Sight Magazine in the morning. Jake and I are going to do another day at the range as well. I just needed to get to the range today.

You spruced up a training thread with video of shiny eye candy. I see what you did there...

stoneytoney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 17, 2014
    indy
    Did a video conference with a GM (Tony Sallis) yesterday working on my AIWB draw. He described a process I’ve never heard of to break it down to make 1 sec draws consistently. Pointed out exactly what was costing me time. So I’ll be working on that for a while. Also need to get Steve Anderson’s and Ben Stoeger books.

Also wanting to get some airsoft guns (officially licensed Glock and M&P replicas) and targets for me and for the family to practice. Plan is to get 2-3 USPSA targets in the backyard and work on movement, draws, transitions, and everything else besides recoil control.

Been hearing nothing but good reviews on BUL Armory pistols. I’m saving up my pennies to get the 1911/2011 Tac Commander. Price is awesome compared to the other 2011s out there.

I

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Got to the range yesterday for some live fire. Jake and I worked out the SAS II from Bul and the CZ P-10F. I suck at Bill Drills. Everything else was solid. I am trying to decide about the payoff versus cost of getting better at Bill Drills. I did a few at the end of the session since I did not have to provide the ammo.

Some writing to do this morning and then back to the range this afternoon. I want to be ready in case there is ever another match.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Does anybody know of a good source to buy weighted blue gun versions of Glock models? I'd like to get a weighted G19 to practice drawing from the holster, but all of the online sources say Glock restricts the sale of these training models to military, LEO trainers, holster makers, etc. I'm wondering how strict this requirement actually is, or if there is another source.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Dot torture
    Starts and stops
    Moving starts and stops
    Starts and stops 2
    Moving starts and stops 2
    Breaking up the starts and stops
    Moving breaking up the starts and stops
    And of course pendulum
    I was working on these movement drills early last fall.
    It took some time to get the par times dialed in.
    If I get the projects wrapped up today
    I'm planning on taking the wife to the range tomorrow.
    It's our anniversary cant go out to eat:):

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Does anybody know of a good source to buy weighted blue gun versions of Glock models? I'd like to get a weighted G19 to practice drawing from the holster, but all of the online sources say Glock restricts the sale of these training models to military, LEO trainers, holster makers, etc. I'm wondering how strict this requirement actually is, or if there is another source.

MCgrease08,

I purchased one from these folks. The Glock policy can be read on the website linked below, which limits purchase to "Law Enforcement, Military, Trainers, Holster Manufacturers and related Industry Professionals". I'm guessing that you will fall into one of these categories, if you think about it long enough.

https://www.alternateforce.net/bluegun-glock.html

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I took a private class at a outdoor range today. Dot torture, draw and fire two shots slow then fast. Drawing and firing 3 shots at 15 yards I was in the 2.4 second range to 2.8. Turn and shoot drills. Walking parallel to the range instructor would call out threat left I would look left call out threat left then turn and fire 2 rounds on target. Shot entire mag draw fire 2 strong hand only and weak hand only . Set up the gun one in the chamber and empty mag and did one hand draw fire then reload and fire one more round x 17 both hands. Walking away from the target he would call out threat behind I would turn and fire 2 rounds out to 50 yards. Finished the class and sighted in a aimpoint on my latest AR build.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Worked on shooting small poppers at 17 yards, target to target transitions, moving into awkward positions, and Merle Standards. Not in mid season form.

whtsti2005

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Carmel
    I have committed to doing dry fire drills since last year. One of the items that I purchased is the Mantis 10. What a great training tool for dry fire as this acts as a shot timer, it measures your accuracy for doing a variety of drills including draws from the holster. Best $$ spent, especially now that ammo is running thin and I don't want to shoot up what I have in inventory.

Top Bottom