• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Part of. Had a period there where I competed pretty heavily around the midwest.

That said, I have a pretty strong opinion that a well-rounded Shooter should have a strong background in the practical effects of firearms..ie: how fast they kill something they’ve perforated.

I’ve had both, and I think the safety/practical effects should come first.

Too many “target only” shooters who have only EVER played the various “sports” have a greater tendency toward complacency and more casual concern for muzzle direction and firearm condition than those who have seen firsthand what bullets do to meat.

It is nearly uncountable how many times I’ve been swept on the ranges, when there is NO good excuse for poor discipline, “safety” protocols or not.

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    The shooting sports can be a great way to build marksmanship skill and gun handling skill. In my experience there is a lot lacking in marksmanship skill and even more lacking in gun handling. However, in my experience those shooting things like USPSA have far greater gun handling skills than those that do not shoot competitions like that. There are other disciplines that involve shotguns and rifles that do not seem to place the same emphasis on gun handling.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Part of. Had a period there where I competed pretty heavily around the midwest.

That said, I have a pretty strong opinion that a well-rounded Shooter should have a strong background in the practical effects of firearms..ie: how fast they kill something they’ve perforated.

I’ve had both, and I think the safety/practical effects should come first.

Too many “target only” shooters who have only EVER played the various “sports” have a greater tendency toward complacency and more casual concern for muzzle direction and firearm condition than those who have seen firsthand what bullets do to meat.

It is nearly uncountable how many times I’ve been swept on the ranges, when there is NO good excuse for poor discipline, “safety” protocols or not.

Case and point: Sunday after shooting a USPSA match I was standing on the porch of the clubhouse. A group of three men and a woman were in a bay doing some casual shooting. One of the three men was seated at a picnic table. He was point a 1911 pistol up range out of a three sided bay into the parking lot and dry firing. I stood and watched in disbelief as he dropped the hammer three times in that direction, racking the slide in between. I loudly made some corrective comments.

Some people should not have guns.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    So far, I have mostly attended training classes. Usually defensive training types. And there are things that are taught in defensive classes that are probably not used by competitive sport shooters and may even draw sneers from fellow shooters.:)

That said, I would like to get more time behind the gun in a timed environment with multiple targets to engage.

I think it would help.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    The shooting sports can be a great way to build marksmanship skill and gun handling skill. In my experience there is a lot lacking in marksmanship skill and even more lacking in gun handling. However, in my experience those shooting things like USPSA have far greater gun handling skills than those that do not shoot competitions like that. There are other disciplines that involve shotguns and rifles that do not seem to place the same emphasis on gun handling.

I think that ANY of the shooting sports, taken in heavy doses and to the exclusion of other shooting, can produce a very specialized, but one-dimensional shooter.

The same shooter, unfortunately, can also become pretty myopic about other types of shooting and shooting sports.

We ALL like to believe at times that our sport is the bestest sport, and seek affirmation of that from time to time.

I have commented many times that I would be happy to go try nearly anything except African stuff (and I’d still probably shoot one, if asked).

Having shot a little Smallbore, Smallbore Silhouette, Bullseye, Cross-Course Highpower, Long Range Highpower, Trap, Sporting Clays, International 10m Pistol, International 10m Rifle, and about 28 years in the woods....

...I feel I can definitively state that ALL of the above are hard in their own way, produce gains in skillset, and deserve respect.

Looking in from the outside, it would appear that USPSA, PRS, IDPA, and some similar would produce a rounded shooter kinda like a Rally driver: can drive a car really well in a lot of conditions, and on demand, but probably can’t drive a dragster (and might not want to).

Many of the sports I’ve played in are tending toward specialization, Smallbore and 10m Pistol at the top end. It’s meant that I am pretty “okay” at putting individual shots precisely where I want.

I make no apologies for that, but I DO recognize the limitations of my skills, as advanced as my ego might like to place me.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I wonder if a lot of organized shooting sports safety protocols are enforced according to the number of participants?

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I think that ANY of the shooting sports, taken in heavy doses and to the exclusion of other shooting, can produce a very specialized, but one-dimensional shooter.

The same shooter, unfortunately, can also become pretty myopic about other types of shooting and shooting sports.

We ALL like to believe at times that our sport is the bestest sport, and seek affirmation of that from time to time.

I have commented many times that I would be happy to go try nearly anything except African stuff (and I’d still probably shoot one, if asked).

Having shot a little Smallbore, Smallbore Silhouette, Bullseye, Cross-Course Highpower, Long Range Highpower, Trap, Sporting Clays, International 10m Pistol, International 10m Rifle, and about 28 years in the woods....

...I feel I can definitively state that ALL of the above are hard in their own way, produce gains in skillset, and deserve respect.

Looking in from the outside, it would appear that USPSA, PRS, IDPA, and some similar would produce a rounded shooter kinda like a Rally driver: can drive a car really well in a lot of conditions, and on demand, but probably can’t drive a dragster (and might not want to).

Many of the sports I’ve played in are tending toward specialization, Smallbore and 10m Pistol at the top end. It’s meant that I am pretty “okay” at putting individual shots precisely where I want.

I make no apologies for that, but I DO recognize the limitations of my skills, as advanced as my ego might like to place me.

I think all the shooting sports have value and no one is best from the marksmanship point of view. But I think USPSA does a better job of safe gun handling and safety protocols. I have visited some ranges where the long gun sports were going on and could not believe the way guns were being handled. Muzzles sweeping people for example. Things that get you disqualified at USPSA ( and should) were common place.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Case and point: Sunday after shooting a USPSA match I was standing on the porch of the clubhouse. A group of three men and a woman were in a bay doing some casual shooting. One of the three men was seated at a picnic table. He was point a 1911 pistol up range out of a three sided bay into the parking lot and dry firing. I stood and watched in disbelief as he dropped the hammer three times in that direction, racking the slide in between. I loudly made some corrective comments.

Some people should not have guns.

You? Make loud comments? I dont believe you. :):

Top Bottom