• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I attended an IDPA match yesterday. I usually shoot a full size pistol in SSP. But I decided to use my EDC in CCP and see how I could do. I'm lucky if I get to attend 2 matches of any type a year so I'm definitely not a seasoned competitor. In fact, I didn't shoot one at all in 2019. I do get to the range on a semi-regular basis though.

So my EDC is a 4" XDs. And I usually carry it OWB with the +2 (9 Rd) mag and a +1 (8rd) mag as a spare. I shoot it pretty good.

We'll the problem started at the first mag change on the first stage. It didn't drop free as I'm used to with my full size XDm. It caught me by surprise. I fumbled through and finished the stage. I headed to the safe table and tried to figure it out. They all dropped free. The next stage was the same but I was expecting it and pulled the empty out. It took extra time but became the norm and all was well.

So I did figure it out. Since the grip of the pistol is short, a 7 round mag fits flush, the extended mags would get caught on the palm of my hand. This was preventing it from dropping free. So now I know.

And the second issue. On the last stage, there were some targets of distance that really required some accuracy to score well. (Single head shots at 10 yards. The previous few stages had been fairly close and quick.) On my second target, I was really focusing on my front sight that something seemed really unusual. Then it hit me. The fiber optic had disappeared. It cost me a second or so to adjust and I finished the course of fire.

So I started thinking about it. I'm not really sure when I lost it. Again, not a huge issue but enough to throw me off for a short time.

So I guess my point is have you really ran your carry gun? I've carried this XDs for quite a few years. I've even taken a class or two with Coach and BBI using it. But those classes really didn't involve multiple mag changes where this issue could have showed up. The time for you to find out ANY issue with your EDC isn't when your life or a loved ones life may depend on it. Take your gear, find a match and go and try it out. It's fun, you meet new people. And the people there will be happy a newbie it there and will help you with anything they can. You'll figure out what works and what doesn't. You probably won't win the match. I finished 4th in my class, out of 6. 29th out of 44 overall. But I learned a lot.

So I replaced the fiber optic light tube on my pistol after the match. I think a new set of sights will be in my future. And maybe a pistol that doesn't have extend mags with sleeves.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I shot my first IDPA a couple months ago with a buddy who was nice enough to take me. I’ve done a lot of shooting, including training with Tactical Response this past winter. I’m generally a “good shot,” but man, when I heard that first beep, I engaged the first couple targets, and then it hit me hard... adrenaline dump, big time!

I finished up and took a minute to process it. That was quite the learning experience. My training did it’s thing though, and I was able to execute properly (far from perfectly) the stages. After the first couple rounds, the adrenaline dump wasn’t quite as big, and it was becoming more manageable.

I shot my CCW (P365, flush mag, IWB) in SSP class so I could run 10 rounds. I wore a t shirt and shorts. Everyone else in my group had vest cover garments, carried OWB, and had bigger/fancier pistols.

That’s not a knock on them by any means. Those guys were great, and I learned a lot watching them. That’s just to describe my different approach.

It honestly took me awhile, while I was deciding to bring my P365 or X5 Legion, to set my ego aside and decide that I was going to IDPA to hone my skills and not for competition. Honestly, even after setting my ego aside, it still hurt a little to see my name second from the bottom on the list, but I knew I wouldn’t be winning any trophies with my 365 in SSP, especially my first outing.

Everyone in my group was very supportive and were even proud of my bringing my true everyday carry. I will definitely be back in the future.

Last edited:

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    I'm a fairly new shooter, < 5 years, my current EDC is a S&W Shield 9mm 2.0. It fits my hand and I can shoot it well. I use a IWB all Kydex holster. I took a two day class a few weeks ago about pistol shooting skills. The other nine people in the class all had OWB holsters and double stack magazines with the smallest around 15-17 rounds. My mags held 7 and 8, I had 7 magazines.
    I'm reloading twice while others are on the same magazine! Round count was suggested to be 1,000 for the two day course. I used 800. Other than me, no one else shot their carry gun.

A lot of the drills could pertain to self defense. A lot of the drills were timed. The last drill we did was setup a 15' "wall" that we peeked around at one end and shot 6 steel plates at 10 yards, then after doing the 6 run to the other end of the wall, peek around, and shoot six more. See how many you can do in 30 seconds. I got eight with two reloads. The best student got 28 (17+ round magazines), the instructor did 48!

I asked them about the gun they used and why no one used their EDC. They all said this is the gun they wanted to use, many use it for competition. The instructor said if you know how to shoot it does not matter which gun you use.

I now believe everyone but me was in the course to get better at competition. That is okay, I have no issues and I believe I got some good self defense drills out of the course. My draw to first shot was 2.5 seconds. I need to practice this! The best student was around 1.1 seconds.

I agree with the OP, you need to practice with your EDC, in meaningful ways.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I asked them about the gun they used and why no one used their EDC. They all said this is the gun they wanted to use, many use it for competition. The instructor said if you know how to shoot it does not matter which gun you use.

Not sure how much I can agree with that instructor. It always makes me scratch my head when people use a fancy gun that's very different from their EDC, as well as a competition style holster, mag holders and belt that are different from what they normally use. I would think that if you're constantly practicing with your "race gear", that's what you'll be used to, not your EDC equipment. I'm sure a lot of the skills transfer over, but certainly not all. I agree with BT that using your EDC equipment is a good idea at least some of the time when you're doing shooting sport matches. Might just be me, but it seems like common sense... :dunno:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Once I get a little proficiency in shooting a pistol, I'm going to try some type of action pistol. Maybe start with steel challenge and then IDPA, not sure.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Once I get a little proficiency in shooting a pistol, I'm going to try some type of action pistol. Maybe start with steel challenge and then IDPA, not sure.

Steel challenge is a good place to start. No moving, drawing the pistol or reloads. Pure shooting skill.

But the biggest thing about any of these competitions is the safety factor. Follow range commands, keep the gun pointed down range (180° rule), keep your fingers off the trigger when moving are the biggest for obvious reasons.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Steel challenge is a good place to start. No moving, drawing the pistol or reloads. Pure shooting skill.

But the biggest thing about any of these competitions is the safety factor. Follow range commands, keep the gun pointed down range (180° rule), keep your fingers off the trigger when moving are the biggest for obvious reasons.

I'm not sure how to say this without sounding non-humble but I have practiced safety since I was a kid shooting. I have taken quite a few training classes and they always drill the safety pretty well. I should be okay with following the safety rules in a match. The biggest thing for me will be to follow those commands like unload, show clear, downrange, hammer down stuff. Because in a lot of the defensive classes I take, we holster hot frequently. And we drop mags with rounds in them which I believe are prohibited in some of the action disciplines? But like you say, "follow the range commands". I tend to be a rather compliant individual.:)

Its the trigger squeeze, grip, front sight focus (until I get red dots dialed in) that I struggle with.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I had a shock Saturday as well. Lost an earplug halfway through a stage. I considered stopping but I only had a few more shots so I powered through it.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I'm not sure how to say this without sounding non-humble but I have practiced safety since I was a kid shooting. I have taken quite a few training classes and they always drill the safety pretty well. I should be okay with following the safety rules in a match. The biggest thing for me will be to follow those commands like unload, show clear, downrange, hammer down stuff. Because in a lot of the defensive classes I take, we holster hot frequently. And we drop mags with rounds in them which I believe are prohibited in some of the action disciplines? But like you say, "follow the range commands". I tend to be a rather compliant individual.:)

Its the trigger squeeze, grip, front sight focus (until I get red dots dialed in) that I struggle with.

It was nothing against you. Hopefully it didn't come across that way. I was just trying to point out the safety factor. The good majority of folks are great at it.

And yes, they are all cold ranges. So the whole load and make ready, show clear, yada yada yada. It's not that tough. Just don't rush through it.

As far as I know, IDPA is the only one where you can't dump a non-empty mag on the ground. You can remove it and keep it on your person though.

As to the trigger squeeze, grip etc, Steel Challenge is the place to start.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    It was nothing against you. Hopefully it didn't come across that way. I was just trying to point out the safety factor. The good majority of folks are great at it.

And yes, they are all cold ranges. So the whole load and make ready, show clear, yada yada yada. It's not that tough. Just don't rush through it.

As far as I know, IDPA is the only one where you can't dump a non-empty mag on the ground. You can remove it and keep it on your person though.

As to the trigger squeeze, grip etc, Steel Challenge is the place to start.

Didn't take it that way at all. I'm just not Shakespeare when it comes to writing and I didn't want my lack of marksmanship sound like I'm new around firearms or not safe. One can never point out safety enough.

I'm without my pistol for 6 weeks plus getting it milled for a red dot so I won't be doing anything unless I want to suffer through with my 1911 with a fuzzy front sight due to my loss of vision.:)

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I attended an IDPA match yesterday. I usually shoot a full size pistol in SSP. But I decided to use my EDC in CCP and see how I could do. I'm lucky if I get to attend 2 matches of any type a year so I'm definitely not a seasoned competitor. In fact, I didn't shoot one at all in 2019. I do get to the range on a semi-regular basis though.

So my EDC is a 4" XDs. And I usually carry it OWB with the +2 (9 Rd) mag and a +1 (8rd) mag as a spare. I shoot it pretty good.

We'll the problem started at the first mag change on the first stage. It didn't drop free as I'm used to with my full size XDm. It caught me by surprise. I fumbled through and finished the stage. I headed to the safe table and tried to figure it out. They all dropped free. The next stage was the same but I was expecting it and pulled the empty out. It took extra time but became the norm and all was well.

So I did figure it out. Since the grip of the pistol is short, a 7 round mag fits flush, the extended mags would get caught on the palm of my hand. This was preventing it from dropping free. So now I know.

And the second issue. On the last stage, there were some targets of distance that really required some accuracy to score well. (Single head shots at 10 yards. The previous few stages had been fairly close and quick.) On my second target, I was really focusing on my front sight that something seemed really unusual. Then it hit me. The fiber optic had disappeared. It cost me a second or so to adjust and I finished the course of fire.

So I started thinking about it. I'm not really sure when I lost it. Again, not a huge issue but enough to throw me off for a short time.

So I guess my point is have you really ran your carry gun? I've carried this XDs for quite a few years. I've even taken a class or two with Coach and BBI using it. But those classes really didn't involve multiple mag changes where this issue could have showed up. The time for you to find out ANY issue with your EDC isn't when your life or a loved ones life may depend on it. Take your gear, find a match and go and try it out. It's fun, you meet new people. And the people there will be happy a newbie it there and will help you with anything they can. You'll figure out what works and what doesn't. You probably won't win the match. I finished 4th in my class, out of 6. 29th out of 44 overall. But I learned a lot.

So I replaced the fiber optic light tube on my pistol after the match. I think a new set of sights will be in my future. And maybe a pistol that doesn't have extend mags with sleeves.
    Kodiak in South Bend does a great job with their defensive pistol league, and force-on-force training. When I run my EDC, the standard mags don't always drop free, and can snag on my hands or gloves. The larger mags drop free without issue.

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    My EDC is an AMT Backup. 5 shots. It's a whole different mental attitude and expectation in confrontations. I've carried that pistol for 20 years and into a couple hostile situations. Shooting and understanding accuracy under stress helped me understand in what ways that type of pistol can be used and what to expect.

People have laughed at me, but something I always stress is getting comfortable unloading a firearm. Exiting a high stress condition makes for mistakes if solid habits aren't formed. I've witnessed a person unintentionally discharge their weapon after a high stress encounter. Their nerves were shot and couldn't coordinate thought and action. Fortunately no one was injured. I'm sure most people have had encouters like that and had trouble getting their nerves under control. That's where familiarity helps a lot I think.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Good on the OP testing his carry setup. Most of the fiber optic sights I've seen just aren't up to the task of defensive/duty use in terms of ruggedness.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Yep. Dots, FO, lasers and WML are all fun to use but you won’t see me carrying them on the street. Here comes the hate mail from the non believers.

Top Bottom