• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    I am looking to host a medical course this fall does anyone have any suggestions? Dark Angel Medical is not an option.

Thanks,

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Find a way to attend a Wilderness First Responder class.

nat, I'm fairly certain jrm isn't asking what class he should take next. Jrm is the guy that gets the amazing instructors to come to his departments range in Lebanon IN and the courses (unless specified by the instructor) are open to the public in addition to his and other police officers. He's a good guy to follow, great classes in the past. Looks to me like he is considering finding a medical related instructor to come at some point and is taking suggestions. I could be wrong.

JRM: I would like to see an offering that gave guidance on when to wear a mask during this Covid thing. For the life of me I can't find anyone on the internet talking about it.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    nat, I'm fairly certain jrm isn't asking what class he should take next. Jrm is the guy that gets the amazing instructors to come to his departments range in Lebanon IN and the courses (unless specified by the instructor) are open to the public in addition to his and other police officers. He's a good guy to follow, great classes in the past. Looks to me like he is considering finding a medical related instructor to come at some point and is taking suggestions. I could be wrong.

JRM: I would like to see an offering that gave guidance on when to wear a mask during this Covid thing. For the life of me I can't find anyone on the internet talking about it.

Rgr.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Find a way to attend a Wilderness First Responder class.
    Although I don't believe that is what was posted, I am up for a Widerness First Responder class. If there was some way to quickly regain my EMT certification, I would also be up for a Wilderness EMT class. At one time there was a gentleman named Jim Floyd who taught them. I believe he was originally associated with St. Vincent but later with MESH.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    WFR is far better for a civilian than EMT. You get more useful skills/knowledge without the ambulance operations portion or skills requiring specialized equipment. EMT is best suited for people who plan to work as such. I think WFR should be a required High School class.

(I am an EMT Primary Instructor)

brchixwing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Nov 13, 2016
    Indianapolis
    For basic wound care / how to use an IFAK, you should reach out to Franciscan Health Education Center, they teach courses locally for Stop The Bleed. Or might be worth reaching out to the organization directly: 312-202-5790; stopthebleed@facs.org

I am looking to host a medical course this fall does anyone have any suggestions? Dark Angel Medical is not an option.

Thanks,

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Money and time available, I would be interested in a wilderness first responder course.

I have been to stop the bleed and while it has its place I didn't find that it provided substantially greater knowledge than I already had.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I attended SOLO WFR 40h, and it’s come in pretty handy a couple times.

I’d like to re-cert, but if I were, I’d probably want NOLS...SOLO was fine, but I’d like to see how it’s taught by another group.

I considered a WEMT (a combo cert/license of a full WFR, and an EMT-B), but being that I’m just a dude with no employer to kick in, I never went down that road.

WFR is pretty damn comprehensive, but it does NOT cover usage of some tools that a bus will have. EG, mine did not include O2 usage, rates, equipment.

WFR is not inexpensive though, and given the mass of material and unconventional “off the grid” medical techniques... it shouldn’t be.

jrm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    I'm looking for something between a stop the bleed class and wilderness first responder course. I'm going for tq use, wound packing, pressure bandage, and maybe needle decompression.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Sounds like we have a pretty good start to a WFR?!

I bet I could scratch up at least one more attendee on my own.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I'd be up to about anything mentioned, possibly with the exception of full on EMT stuff.

JRM's description of what he is looking for is right in the sweet spot of what I'd like to see. Steps beyond stop the bleed but without having to attain certification to use equipment or meds that will have to be kept up.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I'd be up to about anything mentioned, possibly with the exception of full on EMT stuff.

JRM's description of what he is looking for is right in the sweet spot of what I'd like to see. Steps beyond stop the bleed but without having to attain certification to use equipment or meds that will have to be kept up.
    Agreed. This sounds like a great course for outdoorsmen/hunters/sport shooters.

brchixwing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Nov 13, 2016
    Indianapolis

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    TCCC is great but there’s a lot of it that’s way outside the scope of a regular joe. It’s derived from the military. The mass hemorrhage parts of it are good for the civilian world but that’s about it. Something between Stop the bleed and TCCC would be ideal but I don’t know what that woukd be.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Had to look up TCCC to understand. Tactical Combat Casualty Care for those like me who were ignorant of its meaning.

Top Bottom