• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Can anyone point me to training resources (trainers, courses, videos, books, etc) with a good treatment of long gun retention problems and solutions?
    IIRC Gunsite had a series of "self defense tactics" videos that were broken down by topic and one dealt with long gun retention. This was about 20 years ago. They might have updated it or you might have to dig in somebody's archive to find it

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Of the things I've found on YouTube, I think I like this the best. I'll have to do some testing.

[video=youtube_share;D5Et0dXfuG0]https://youtu.be/D5Et0dXfuG0[/video]

[video=youtube_share;n8Yg2oL42Dg]https://youtu.be/n8Yg2oL42Dg[/video]

Many videos feature techniques where you're doing other things like:

1. Giving up the long gun to present a secondary weapon. I don't like the idea of giving up a superIor weapon to try to end the fight with a lessor one. Its also not universal. It only works if you have a second weapon. You also now have two weapons in play at what is probably clinching/grappling range and possibly (depending on the video) no control over the rifle or the person. This seems unfavorable to me.

2. Striking with the rifle out in front of your body as a first line option. In certain circumstances this is probably effective, but as a general principle, the farther the rifle is from my body, the less control I have. If the other guy can get between me and the rifle, I have a problem. If he can get between me and the muzzle he is relatively safe. For those reasons, starting with retracting the muzzle to reorient it to the threat seems like a higher percentage, more universal concept. Striking with the rifle could be added once control is established and you're oriented to the threat.

3. Using some rotation or circular motion of the rifle to wrest it from the attackers hands. Some of these look very effective and some look like fantasy aikido. I think a basic set of these could be incorporated if combined with the initial response outlined in this video.

When I have some more time I'll post video examples
    of the above-listed techniques for discussion. Judging by the lack of response it doesn't seem like anyone is very interested in this topic. Maybe those videos will spark some interest or ideas.

Last edited:

Latewatch

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Henryville, IN
    As in most physical CQB techniques, the devil is in the details. Orienting the muzzle towards your attacker may be problematic depending on his level of aggression, strength, skill, how they grab the rifle, the space available, etc. It is also very important to note that if you take a hand off the long gun without stabilizing it effectively, the attacker will most likely end up with a leverage advantage that they could exploit if they know what they're doing or luck into it. Tactical slings are another consideration because, if you attacker can gain a leverage advantage they can use the sling to toss you around like a rag doll.
    My agency trained on a couple of techniques for weapon's strikes, including something very similar to this, techniques that use the attacker's momentum to throw them off, and a technique to stabilize the long gun so that a secondary weapon can be utilized.

Top Bottom