• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    So during this time of buying all the ammo I can afford or not find, how do people train? I know that is my weakness, I can afford ammo to shoot or classes at this time so is there anything I can do to help myself? Videos or someone willing to help be my Yoda lol

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    I do have 150 rds depending on what fire arm rifle/pistol and I work @ 3 Saturday, only problem is I know this sounds stupid is the ammo I do have is for shtf and with ammo being so expensive and or hard to find i really hate to use what I have stored up, I don't have the luck of financial affording ammo just when I want, I could try and find some cheap 45 ammo if available, as for the holster it's the junk one I got in the kit not what I feel comfortable ever carrying

Corbon

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    Columbus
    I do have 150 rds depending on what fire arm rifle/pistol and I work @ 3 Saturday, only problem is I know this sounds stupid is the ammo I do have is for shtf and with ammo being so expensive and or hard to find i really hate to use what I have stored up, I don't have the luck of financial affording ammo just when I want, I could try and find some cheap 45 ammo if available, as for the holster it's the junk one I got in the kit not what I feel comfortable ever carrying

Hi Burt, sounds like your to busy for my class this Saturday in Jonesboro. I was going to give you a free spot in my Defensive Shooting Skills Level 1 class. Honestly I truly understand the cash flow problem as I was in the same situation. I solved mine by taking on two more part time jobs in order to fund my addiction in addition to teaching multiple classes per month. If you don't have enough money than get a part-time job to solve the problem. I know what your going to say, I have other commitments. You either have to give up those commitments or live with being financially strapped all the time. It is a hard decision to make some times. Good Luck.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Vert has it right. Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire.

Snap caps aren't even really required for most guns.

Save that ammo unless you are swimming in it.

Use your google. Tons of information on dryfire online. Study up, do drills or your own plan. Learn how to check your work.

Most of all understand how to BE SAFE while dry firing. The Four Rules still apply...

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Vert has it right. Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire.

Snap caps aren't even really required for most guns.

Save that ammo unless you are swimming in it.

Use your google. Tons of information on dryfire online. Study up, do drills or your own plan. Learn how to check your work.

Most of all understand how to BE SAFE while dry firing. The Four Rules still apply...

I only suggested snap caps because they allow a person to practice reloading with something in the mag. Or practice clearing malfunctions. Dummy rounds can be a handy inexpensive training aid.

harrysonsss

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2020
    Carmel
    Dry Fire -> Dry Fire w/snap caps -> Live Fire

keep adding to your training as money/resources permit, but basic dry firing is always good for fundamentals.

whtsti2005

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Carmel
    I might suggest looking at getting a Mantis 10. These are absolutely one of the best training devices. It measures your accuracy in both dry fire and live fire mode. It measures your draw speed and accuracy. Awesome tool.

redleg16

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I might suggest looking at getting a Mantis 10. These are absolutely one of the best training devices. It measures your accuracy in both dry fire and live fire mode. It measures your draw speed and accuracy. Awesome tool.
    +1 for this, I also purchased a dryfire mag to help with followup shots. I travel alot and use this in my hotel room, it has greatly improved my accuracy. Highly recommended!!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I am limiting myself to 50 rounds of 9 mm on range days and then I switch to .22. I don't like it, but until I see an end in sight for all this, I'm going to be conservative.

When I got my red dot, I pretty much knew I was going to have to dry fire so I could learn how to find the "dot". It was very helpful. Now I do different drills using Ben Stoeger's Dry Fire Revisited book.

I am barely into the book since I want to really drill each one a lot before I add facets to it.

I do use dummy rounds for slide manipulations. For awhile I was practicing reloads on closed slide. I know I got pretty good at getting "muscle memory" because at the range, I reloaded and forgot to rack the slide.:ugh:

I am confident that a consistent dry fire routine with weekly live fire, even with reduced rounds, will have me come out in spring a better shooter.

At least a better shooter than when I went once every couple months and shot up 200 rounds with zero dry fire.:)

Oh, and though money is tight, get a timer. Put it on your Christmas list. Using a timer has been a game changer for me in both live and dry fire.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I am limiting myself to 50 rounds of 9 mm on range days and then I switch to .22. I don't like it, but until I see an end in sight for all this, I'm going to be conservative.

When I got my red dot, I pretty much knew I was going to have to dry fire so I could learn how to find the "dot". It was very helpful. Now I do different drills using Ben Stoeger's Dry Fire Revisited book.

I am barely into the book since I want to really drill each one a lot before I add facets to it.

I do use dummy rounds for slide manipulations. For awhile I was practicing reloads on closed slide. I know I got pretty good at getting "muscle memory" because at the range, I reloaded and forgot to rack the slide.:ugh:

I am confident that a consistent dry fire routine with weekly live fire, even with reduced rounds, will have me come out in spring a better shooter.

At least a better shooter than when I went once every couple months and shot up 200 rounds with zero dry fire.:)

Oh, and though money is tight, get a timer. Put it on your Christmas list. Using a timer has been a game changer for me in both live and dry fire.

The timer really helped me pick up some speed, although I cheaped out and used an app on my phone. Atleast until I manage to get a real timer

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have a couple of LaserLyte training cartridges that I use for dry fire practice. Those make dry fire a lot more fun and they help a lot with point shooting practice. In addition to those, I have a couple BB gun versions of some of the carry guns I have. In the P07 platform, I can shoot a .177 cal BB, .22lr, 9mm and .40 all with a near identical feel. Couple the BB gun practice in the basement with the LaserLyte trainers and I’m keeping myself from going nuts while conserving ammo.

I recently got into the P226 platform and now have one of Sig’s P226 pellet gun trainers coming.

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    I'm wanting to get the mantis system to help my shooting, not as fun as going to a range but times are tough, I wish there was a indoor range that you could shoot at that lets you practice the "run and gun" stuff like airsoft but for real guns.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I'm wanting to get the mantis system to help my shooting, not as fun as going to a range but times are tough, I wish there was a indoor range that you could shoot at that lets you practice the "run and gun" stuff like airsoft but for real guns.

It is a shame but it is never going to happen. It is not a practical use of space and the range cannot afford to allow a small group of shooters to swallow up the whole range. The other things is many shooters that go to indoor ranges cannot handle run and gun.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    It is a shame but it is never going to happen. It is not a practical use of space and the range cannot afford to allow a small group of shooters to swallow up the whole range. The other things is many shooters that go to indoor ranges cannot handle run and gun.

Good to see you back in these parts Coach! How are you doing?

Top Bottom