• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I always enjoy seeing people take responsibility for their futures.

There are some very stocked-up members on this forum. Preps are good. Having guns, ammo, gas, rice, water, med supplies, BOBs, knives, blankets.... All good.

BUT how many of you have stockpiled training? How many of you have invested in the most important item for SHTF......YOURSELF?

My second point is to get in shape. Healthy people survive stressful situations better. They are able to endure more physical and mental hardship and resist or recover from disease more easily. There are plenty of benefits from daily exercise and a good diet that will be noticeable even if **** never does hit the fan.

In addition to fiscal preparedness, many underestimate physical preparedness. I find the above quotation an excellent reminder of the latter.

With that in mind, I'm starting this thread for members to set goals and objectives, assist one-another with workout plans, post updates of their advancement, etc.

I know, I have been slacking lately. Due to degenerative joint disease in both knees and a bum shoulder, I discontinued most of physical training and subsequently lost about 30 lbs in just several months. Now, I am trying to slowly get back in the game.

I'm sure there are much more knowledgeable people on the subject than me on this forum, but I may be able to help with any questions about devising a plan. In the Army, I had the additional duties of the Training NCO and Special Population PT instructor. I was also studying for Physical Trainer certification exam, but never finished due to my life taking another direction.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I'll start:

Goal - Complete 5K race in Fishers, one month from now, without causing further injuries to my knees.

Plan:
    First week - 1 mile every other day
    Second week - 2 miles every other day
    Third Week - 3 miles every other day
    Forth Week - 3.5 miles every other day
    Between running days, muscular strength exercises for legs, abs, and lower back.

For a short-to-medium distance race such as this, I would normally incorporate 400-800 sprints in my routine, but since I have not run in over a year and due to my bad knees, I want to minimize risk of further injury.

Updates:
    First day - Completed 1.25 miles in 8 minutes.

Last edited:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Every other day, run 5 miles in the morning with BOB, including weight for ammunition, weighted item in holster, weighted capped PVC tube with sling for rifle simluation.

Everyday (except weekends): Gym, but not for size. I look at what chimps/apes do for "play". I do alot of compound exercises, supersets (for muscle endurance). Trying to go for the Jack Lalane body (tighter than sin, high efficiency muscle tissue).

ABNK: Good luck on the running! You schedule looks great, alot like those in the running rags one sees everywhere. Yours looks more intuitive for the first week though (which is great!)

Another great exercise (when grouped into the regular stuff) is taking the exercise tubes at home, looping it over your rifle and the other end on your foot, doing bearing drills, then drills without the tube (so that your muscle memory doesnt "overshoot" the target) and you will notice some real results!

Jon: Used to be, a good shoe store (smaller mom and pop business) would do it, but there arent too many of those around. Ask a pediatrist (spelling?) if they know local stuff (they should, its their job!), plus advice should be free. :D

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I assume you're asking about running shoes? There is a running store in Fishers by I-69 and 116th. They film and evaluate your running for pronation or supination so they should be able to accomodate you or at least point you in the right direction.

There is also a place called Good Feet in Greenwood that specializes in insoles , but I have no personal experience with them.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    With my "expeditionary pack" :D, it gets around 65 lbs. It used to be 90, but alot of stuff got tossed overboard. My side bag set up is very light (but I dont run with it often b/c it would deintensify my training), but once amonth I run with it as it has a different balance. That bag weight about 45 lbs (including several of the tools, such as the 9lb sledge, etc..).

Maybe I dont understand the "gravity" of the situation? :D:D:D:D Couldn't resist!

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    Since November I've lifted and ran a mile 3-4 times a week...I need to step up the running though. I never realized that once you get back into some sort of shape the stress and worries seem to go away.

Last edited:

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    With my "expeditionary pack" :D, it gets around 65 lbs. It used to be 90, but alot of stuff got tossed overboard. My side bag set up is very light (but I dont run with it often b/c it would deintensify my training), but once amonth I run with it as it has a different balance. That bag weight about 45 lbs (including several of the tools, such as the 9lb sledge, etc..).

You run five miles every other day with a 65-lb pack?! You're an animal!

Kids, don't try this at home.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Knees are always an issue. I have not began to "hurt" but you can tell that there is some real strain going on down there. A good pair of shoes always fixes this. The hint is to find a running/cross trainer, because the higher amount of cushioning of the crosstrainer helps big time with the added weight.

The funny thing is I can run that, but cant squat worth a damn :(

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    Knees are always an issue. I have not began to "hurt" but you can tell that there is some real strain going on down there. A good pair of shoes always fixes this. The hint is to find a running/cross trainer, because the higher amount of cushioning of the crosstrainer helps big time with the added weight.

The funny thing is I can run that, but cant squat worth a damn :(

I'm the same way. I run 5 miles a day with good running shoes. But If I do full squats my knees are messed the next day. So I do half squats and lunges.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Update:

- First week went as planned.
    - Ran 2 miles yesterday in 16:30. Although I was running for distance and not time, I would have liked to run it faster, but running with my dad usually slows me down. I had a lot of energy left when I was done so I'm sure I could have run it much faster.
    - Knees feel great so far. My orthopedic doctor and physical therapist have both told me that my hamstrings are way too tight which can cause knee and back pain so I have been pretty conscious about stretching regularly.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Since November I've lifted and ran a mile 3-4 times a week...I need to step up the running though. I never realized that once you get back into some sort of shape the stress and worries seem to go away.
    It's not so much the shape that relieves the stress as it is the getting into shape. Exercise causes the body to produce endorphins, which are the feel-good compounds in your body (and produce similar effects to opiates, if wikipedia is to be believed: clicky-> Endorphin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

I also remember my PT saying something about proteins and fat being shed to make room for the muscle gained, and that having to do with the feel-good syndrome, but that might just be because you're happier with your body's shape and feel more confident in general. *shrug*

To quote Elle Woods from Legally Blonde, "Exercise releases endorphins... endorphins make you happy... and happy people just don't kill people!"

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Oh, where to start...

In my prime (as much of a "Prime" as it was) I was 175 lbs, muscular, and in pretty good shape. 6 years of marriage, one deployment, and gallons of beer later... I'm not so much of the "prime" I used to be in.

I hate running. No, I ABHOR running. However, I love the feeling afterward. I hate getting up early, but I get more done in the mornings as opposed to evenings. I have no motivation in the afternoon.

So, I suppose I need to set a goal to get up at 5 AM every morning. I generally go to bed around 10, so that gives me 7 solid hours of rest/sleep. So, here are my goals:

Current Weight: 247 lbs

Week 1: Wake up at 5 am consistently. Run 1 mile for distance
    Week 2: Run 1.5 miles for distance MWF, Muscular Strength T-Th-Sat
    Week 3: Run 2 miles for distance, Continue Schedule in Week 2 for MS.
    Week 4: Run 2.5 Miles for distance

Last edited:
    Top Bottom