• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    In today's trauma class put in by Redneckmedic, there were a couple of people who said that they were thinking of becoming EMTs or paramedics. Since I have a real hard time remembering names, I'll just post this in the general thread. I was looking for EMT classes for myself, and came across this site on the Indiana DHS website.

The site lists several different types of courses, where they are offered, and when the classes begin/end. They have information through the end of the year. You may have to search out each facility to get information on prices, but I thought this was a great resource for those who are looking to get certified in some advanced classes.

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    I did some more searching, and St Vincent in Indianapolis offers the classes. The one in January is already full (20 person max), but they are accepting applications for one that starts in May. Cost is $650, not including the text book. Classes are three nights a week (Mon., Tues., Thurs) and last from 6pm - 10pm.

Here's a link to the St. Vincent webpage talking about the class. I would imagine that the requirements for the class would be very similar regardless of what facility you are taking the class from.

--------------------------------
    Instead of having a brand-new post in my own thread, I'm editing this one. That way no one can say I'm posting just to up my count. ;)

EMT-Basic Classes in/around Indianapolis

--------------------
    Facility: St. Vincent Hospital

Website Link: Click Here

Next Class: May 2010
    --------------------
    Facility: Community Health Network - various sites

Next Class: January 14, 2010
    --------------------
    Facility: IVY Tech - various sites

Next Class: Unknown - have to request information from website
    --------------------

Well, that's all I can find right now. Hope it helps someone.

Last edited:

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I'll have to look into whether or not the St John's/St Vincents in Anderson is doing this anytime since its close to home. Plus its where my mom works for home health care so it would be the natural choice for me.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    I took my EMT-B at Community Hostpital East, I really enjoyed the class there and the price was comparable to what you posted. You might want to check there too.

alxjmrk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Indy, Nora area
    YAYYYY!

anyone wanna pay for my class for me?

please-please-boy-sad-smiley-emoticon-000319-large.gif

JBrockman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Amity, Johnson Count
    Check with your local fire depts. for a EMT class being put on, sometimes you can get into one local at a reduced price if it is being done through the fire dept. and you never know you might like it and put in an application for the volunteers.

alxjmrk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Indy, Nora area
    Just finished my application for Castleton VFD, an old chief friend of mine said he will drop it off there Monday and say hey to some old friends. Im hoping its not too late, they apparently have decided to really slow down the incoming volunteers. He informed me that at the meeting in December they will be talking about EMT classes for the volunteers. Keeping my fingers crossed...

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Just finished my application for Castleton VFD, an old chief friend of mine said he will drop it off there Monday and say hey to some old friends. Im hoping its not too late, they apparently have decided to really slow down the incoming volunteers. He informed me that at the meeting in December they will be talking about EMT classes for the volunteers. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Just as an FYI I would not get hopes too high, with the problems financially the career side of that fire dept. is having I don't see them taking on more people. I have friends on their that are taking $800 a month pay-cut just to stay employed. Not trying to burst your bubble and I hope things work out for you.

Also for anyone that is considering becoming a medic, it is a huge commitment the shortest class I know of is 18 months. I know lots of married people that have taken it and wound up divorced because of it. I also think you must already be an EMT to get in most classes. You could try EMT- Advanced or EMT Intermediate also.

JimFloyd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I taught the EMT courses at St. Vincent and Ivy Tech Indy for years, and continue to teach EMS Primary Instructor courses (so that others can become certified to teach EMT courses) so here are some thoughts from someone with over 25 years of EMS/Public Safety experience.

First, you must be certified as an EMT-B in order to take more advanced courses (EMT-BA, EMT-I, and EMT-P). Also know that in Marion and contiguous counties there is limited use and recognition of EMT-BA and EMT-I levels due to the overwhelming number of paramedics and the fact that the protocols make almost every run (anymore) an advanced life support transport.

Second, unless you are wanting to work on an ambulance as an EMT, you might want to consider taking a First Responder course instead. It teaches almost all of the same information and just fewer skills since you will not be transporting a patient.

Third, at the sake of sounding like a blatant plug (which is not intended, but I do teach the most, and most affordable wilderness courses of anyone in Indiana), you can do about as much (and in some areas of practice, actually more) with a 32-40 hour advanced wilderness first aid card as you can with an EMT certification in the state of Indiana. While I am certified as an EMT and EMS Primary Instructor, I always maintain wilderness FA/instructor certification because of the different scope of practice it offers. The definition of wilderness medicine is being more than 60 minutes from definitive care (surgery), which means just substitute the word "disaster" for "wilderness" and you immediately see the value of this training since it is focused on improvisation and longer-term care. EMT, etc. is focused on the Golden Hour, or first 60 minutes of patient care. Also understand that once you become certified as an EMT you must complete a minimum of 40 hours of in-service education, audit and review (if you are affiliated as an EMT... you must be affiliated with an EMS provider for all advanced levels), and have your skills checked off every two years. If I had to make a choice, I personally would give up my EMT cert in an instant and keep WFA certification.

Fourth, a source for reputable and accelerated EMT training is Pelham Training in Bloomington, IN (http://www.emtinc.net/). Not cheap, but they have a good pass rate and the military sends personnel there.

Finally, there is much more to providing care than simply performing skills or having a fancy trauma kit. Mindset is the most important aspect of emergency care, self defense, etc. yet it is an area that is often overlooked.

Regards,

Jim

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    I taught the EMT courses at St. Vincent and Ivy Tech Indy for years, and continue to teach EMS Primary Instructor courses (so that others can become certified to teach EMT courses) so here are some thoughts from someone with over 25 years of EMS/Public Safety experience.

First, you must be certified as an EMT-B in order to take more advanced courses (EMT-BA, EMT-I, and EMT-P). Also know that in Marion and contiguous counties there is limited use and recognition of EMT-BA and EMT-I levels due to the overwhelming number of paramedics and the fact that the protocols make almost every run (anymore) an advanced life support transport.

Second, unless you are wanting to work on an ambulance as an EMT, you might want to consider taking a First Responder course instead. It teaches almost all of the same information and just fewer skills since you will not be transporting a patient.

Third, at the sake of sounding like a blatant plug (which is not intended, but I do teach the most, and most affordable wilderness courses of anyone in Indiana), you can do about as much (and in some areas of practice, actually more) with a 32-40 hour advanced wilderness first aid card as you can with an EMT certification in the state of Indiana. While I am certified as an EMT and EMS Primary Instructor, I always maintain wilderness FA/instructor certification because of the different scope of practice it offers. The definition of wilderness medicine is being more than 60 minutes from definitive care (surgery), which means just substitute the word "disaster" for "wilderness" and you immediately see the value of this training since it is focused on improvisation and longer-term care. EMT, etc. is focused on the Golden Hour, or first 60 minutes of patient care. Also understand that once you become certified as an EMT you must complete a minimum of 40 hours of in-service education, audit and review (if you are affiliated as an EMT... you must be affiliated with an EMS provider for all advanced levels), and have your skills checked off every two years. If I had to make a choice, I personally would give up my EMT cert in an instant and keep WFA certification.

Fourth, a source for reputable and accelerated EMT training is Pelham Training in Bloomington, IN (Emergency Medical Training-Emergency Medical Education Classes (EMT, Paramedic, Accelerated EMT, Advanced EMT Classes, Medic & EMT Refreshers/CEU/Inservice. AHA CPR & ACLS, PHTLS, PEPP, AMLS, NSC. First Aid for general public.)). Not cheap, but they have a good pass rate and the military sends personnel there.

Finally, there is much more to providing care than simply performing skills or having a fancy trauma kit. Mindset is the most important aspect of emergency care, self defense, etc. yet it is an area that is often overlooked.

Regards,

Jim

+1 he states lots of truth

Have you taught the wilderness course in Nineveh before? I was signed up for it last year but things came up.

JimFloyd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Yes, I taught a Wilderness EMT upgrade course there. I am looking at doing at least an advanced WFA course in Spring if not a Wilderness First Responder course. Will keep everyone posted here.

Regards,

Jim

PsYcHo SqUiRrEl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    Greenetucky
    I have a couple of friends that own a company that teaches EMT-B, EMT-I, and EMT-P classes along with OSHA, first aid, CPR, and other occupational safety classes. They are looking at starting a EMT-B class soon and would like to have at least 8 people.
    They also offer a class starting with the EMT-B and advancing through the EMT-I, then on to the EMT-P level.
    If anyone would be interested in these classes I can find out more information and pass it on to you. Send me a PM and I'll let you know the info.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I have a couple of friends that own a company that teaches EMT-B, EMT-I, and EMT-P classes along with OSHA, first aid, CPR, and other occupational safety classes. They are looking at starting a EMT-B class soon and would like to have at least 8 people.
    They also offer a class starting with the EMT-B and advancing through the EMT-I, then on to the EMT-P level.
    If anyone would be interested in these classes I can find out more information and pass it on to you. Send me a PM and I'll let you know the info.

Good to know Squirrel.... However it seems you might be putting the cart a little ahead of the horse.

Not all of these classes are necessary to take sequentially and even to take all of them like your basic college 101, 201, 301, ext. For any really interested look at doing a CPR, then a First Responder. Like Floyd said taking an EMT-Basic isn't necessary the best way to jump in. It does involve a lot of ambulance specific info, but the plus side is upon graduation you are entry level for a full or part time career in a private or 911 ambulance service with fairly good income (about $9/hr).

Let me clarify a few things real fast.

CPR- 4 hr course, including Cardiovascular Emergencies, Foreign Body Airway Obstructions (choking) Adult, Child, Infant Cardiac Arrest
    $55ish.... good class

First Responder-60 to 80 hr course depending how deep the instructor goes into non-functional parts of F.R. I.E. Hazmat, Lifting and Moving, Ambulance Operations, ect. A touch on almost all types of Medical and Traumatic Emergencies and Basic Treatments no real Pathologies of disease process.
    $300ish.... Very worthwhile

EMT-B (basic) - 3 to 6 months depending on how many nights a week or hrs a week you attend. Fairly good Pathology on disease basics of each Medical Emerg. and thorough treatment for most medical and traumatic emerg. Registered with either state and or national in DHLS.
    $800ish ..... If you are pursuing a career in EMS a must otherwise look at a First Responder

EMT-I (immediate) - All above and a second level of pathologies with some more advanced invasive skills
    $? .... worthless

EMT-A (advanced) - All above with ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support)
    $? .....worthless

EMT-P (paramedic) - 3000 hrs Classroom and Clinicals in several different areas of hospital operations from ER to Burn Unit, Surgery, ICU, OB, NICU, ext. Two Years prior experience as EMT-B Two Years plus must interview to get into school, equivalent to a Associates Degree, must also test out in both written and skills stations, and register in a DHLS state, national.
    $2500ish ......must have a strong aptitude for EMS and a very deep knowledge in cellular pathologies and pharmacology, emergency surgical procedures and advanced A&P.
    If there is enough interest I can put together an INGO CPR and or INGO First Responder class.

Matthew Heithoff
    Owner/Instructor
    Lifesavers LLC.
    NREMT-Paramedic
    ASHI Training Center
    AHA Instructor/Faculty
    BLS/ACLS/PPC/PALS/PHTLS/FIRST RESPONDER
    :D

PsYcHo SqUiRrEl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    Greenetucky
    Good to know Squirrel.... However it seems you might be putting the cart a little ahead of the horse.

Not all of these classes are necessary to take sequentially and even to take all of them like your basic college 101, 201, 301, ext. For any really interested look at doing a CPR, then a First Responder. Like Floyd said taking an EMT-Basic isn't necessary the best way to jump in. It does involve a lot of ambulance specific info, but the plus side is upon graduation you are entry level for a full or part time career in a private or 911 ambulance service with fairly good income (about $9/hr).

CPR- 4 hr course, including Cardiovascular Emergencies, Foreign Body Airway Obstructions (choking) Adult, Child, Infant Cardiac Arrest
    $55ish.... good class

First Responder-60 to 80 hr course depending how deep the instructor goes into non-functional parts of F.R. I.E. Hazmat, Lifting and Moving, Ambulance Operations, ect. A touch on almost all types of Medical and Traumatic Emergencies and Basic Treatments no real Pathologies of disease process.

EMT-B (basic) - 3 to 6 months depending on how many nights a week or hrs a week you attend. Fairly good Pathology on disease basics of each Medical Emerg. and thorough treatment for most medical and traumatic emerg. Registered with either state and or national in DHLS.
    $800ish ..... If you are pursuing a career in EMS a must otherwise look at a First Responder

EMT-I (immediate) - All above and a second level of pathologies with some more advanced invasive skills
    $? .... worthless

$? .....worthless

EMT-P (paramedic) - 3000 hrs Classroom and Clinicals in several different areas of hospital operations from ER to Burn Unit, Surgery, ICU, OB, NICU, ext. Two Years prior experience as EMT-B Two Years plus must interview to get into school, equivalent to a Associates Degree, must also test out in both written and skills stations, and register in a DHLS state, national.
    $2500ish ......must have a strong aptitude for EMS and a very deep knowledge in cellular pathologies and pharmacology, emergency surgical procedures and advanced A&P.
    If there is enough interest I can put together an INGO CPR and or INGO First Responder class.

Matthew Heithoff
    Owner/Instructor
    Lifesavers LLC.
    NREMT-Paramedic
    ASHI Training Center
    AHA Instructor/Faculty

Sorry if I was misunderstood, but I wasn't meaning that you had to take the courses one after the other. I know I've had many students riding with me that take an EMT-B course, then skip over the Advanced and Intermediate in order to take the Paramedic course. I was just offering an example of the courses that were available with my friend's company.

A few corrections to your post, EMT-Advanced does not include ACLS and I agree that it is pretty much worthless.

The EMT-Intermediate level includes quite a few more skills over the EMT-Advanced such as the administration of medications, EKG interpretation, cardiac pacing, chest decompression, I/O(placement of IV into the bone), and visual endotracheal intubation. Cost for the EMT-I course runs around $1200. Pay varies depending on location with the south-central part of the state paying close to what entry level paramedics in the area make($12.00/ hr to $16.00/hr) depending on experience.

The requirement of two years experience as an EMT-B prior to acceptance to paramedic training was dropped several years ago. One can now go straight from high school, take and pass a EMT-B class, then go straight into the paramedic class. I believe that this year will be the last you will be able to do this as starting next year a college level A&P course will be a requirement of the paramedic class.

alxjmrk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Indy, Nora area
    G-dangit!
    This is proving to be much more confusing than I expected. I am totally sure I want to be in the emergency services (EMT or Firefighter). I need to first get the money, which will take at least 6 months to a year, and then decide what I need.
    Should I take some of the CPR and First Aid /First Responder courses prior to EMT-B? Or would that be redundant?

I need your help you pros!

PsYcHo SqUiRrEl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    Greenetucky
    G-dangit!
    This is proving to be much more confusing than I expected. I am totally sure I want to be in the emergency services (EMT or Firefighter). I need to first get the money, which will take at least 6 months to a year, and then decide what I need.
    Should I take some of the CPR and First Aid /First Responder courses prior to EMT-B? Or would that be redundant?

I need your help you pros!

I would recommend to get your EMT certification and become a firefighter. Based on a few friends that have recently been hired at larger departments (Zionsville, Bloomington, etc.), usually you have a better chance if you already have at least your basic EMT cert. Redneckmedic probably could advise more on the requirements.

If I were younger and in better shape, I'd go for a fire dept. instead of being stuck in EMS. Pay and benefits are MUCH better! Don't get me wrong, I love my job. I just wish it paid better and had better benefits. That's the main reason I'll be furthering my education soon after the first of the year.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County

$55ish.... good class

$? .... worthless

$? .....worthless

Matthew Heithoff
    Owner/Instructor
    Lifesavers LLC.
    NREMT-Paramedic
    ASHI Training Center
    AHA Instructor/Faculty

First I would like to say I hope no one thought I was saying you had to take all of those classes from start to finish, that was not my intent.

Being an Advanced EMT and being in a doughnut county to Marion (Johnson) I will disagree that Advanced EMT is a worthless cert. it is frustrating that Marion County Protocols are written for and catered to medics. Yes there is little I can do over a basic EMT but starting a line prior to the medic getting there saves scene time after they get there. I have considered Intermediate however no one offers it around here because of the over abundance of medics in the 10 central counties. I am not sure I would take it now anyway but I was considering it. I agree that Intermediate is probably wasted anywhere around here but I would not say it is worthless everywhere.

ALXJMRK

As for the getting hired by becoming certified first. It is all about where you want a job, my department and many others require that you be certified EMT-B and FF 1&2 at a minimum to get hired, n=bigger departments, IFD, Wayne Twp they don't care if you are a burger flipper at McDonald's or a 30 year fire service vet you get trained their way no matter who you are and you are paid while they train you. The same is not true in all states though I know in texas and Cali. you must pay to go through their state training and then get hired by somebody and then more often than not get trained again by them to do it their way.

Top Bottom