• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Warrior1354

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 25, 2017
    Carthage
    In the market for one of these rifles made by a very hard too find German company of them. Waffenwerke Oberspree Kornbusch for one has a very interesting history making these rifles. Contracted out by DWM, the machines they used were taken from Belgium from their factories, and they only made them for a few years. After the war was over the history of WOK stopped around 1919 and the rest of was lost too history.

So I would really like too add one of these rifles too my collection. I would prefer an all matching example and in good condition. A bolt mismatched rifle I can deal with as long as the rest of the rifle is matching plus the stock. They were made in the year of 1915, 1916, 1917, and very few in 1918.

As for year it doesn't matter just would like too have one in my collection.

Thanks

Warrior1354

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 25, 2017
    Carthage
    Under 100,000 for total production. The lowest year of production was the year of 1915 maybe close too 1000 were produced. One of the rarest Gew98 rifles too own very few survived that are still in their original configured. Almost bought one of these 1915 dated pieces on gunbroker a few weeks ago but the seller had no inspection period and wouldn't show me all the important details. Have too say it was hard too let it go but my gut told me too pass on it.

WOK rifles are very hard too find too say the least. When you factor in the rifle losses during the war, bubba chopping them up in those days, the interwar period where most of these were updated in the 20s and 30s, the WWII days, and low production. Not too mention collectors like these rifles and the ones in collection tend too stay there. And I can't say I blame them either. Also WOK did not have a good start up as well. Their first batch of rifles took alot of time too get finished.

I have spent almost five years too find one in person and have had no luck. Seen only three examples for sell so far too. Two on gunbroker and another from a military collectable site.

Too bring more of the history of this company is also a very interesting topic. What is known about them only goes too 1919 the rest is lost too history. Maybe more will turn up someday.

This the best summery of info a good collector friend of mine sent too me about this company. A good collector friend and a wealth of knowledge. Has one of the best records of Gew98 rifle and Kar98a carbine data out there as well:

WOK was a cooperative arrangement between private enterprise and the state, typical of governments then and now, they stole their part of the "deal" and formed WOK with machinery from occupied FN. Which ironically was owned by DWM at the time... FN was occupied and dismantled, machines going to start up WOK and to Spandau to enlarge their MG production.
    DWM became involved at an early stage, buying up most of the stock on the open market, and by 1918 was able to buy the controlling interest in the company. Unfortunately, what seemed like a good idea in early 1918 turned out to a bad move by 1919, not only did DWM lose what remained of FN in Belgium (they owned FN prior to WWI), they also had to return all the looted machines that now made up Oberspree. To top it off, the Belgians canceled their stock and ownership of FN, so DWM lost FN entirely, the machinery at Oberspree and essentially the entire investment in the Oberspree Company.

I suppose they kept the land and building... I guess it hardly mattered though; the loss of FN was probably the gloomiest part, as it would have been an outlet for their patent holdings and a way to keep in small arms. Oberspree would have been a loss irregardless of the machinery, it was a rifle factory and DWM didn't need a rifle factory in 1919, they had enormous capacity already (MO & DWM combined could compete with all the arsenals combined - through efficiency, which is always lacking at government firms, - why WOK had such a bad start up, the government was involved.) and small arms production was no longer an industry of promise in post Versailles Germany.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Very Nice info, The flow of arms and arms factories after wars always lead up to neat variations 50 years later... At the time it stinks...

I think I know the auction you referenced.. Always intrigued at people who will take the time to list an auction, and then not answer questions.. Really no excuse for anyone, let alone a 1k+ rifle..

But I have to ask. OK no wrong answer, not trying to trip you up, Just a question...

Considering how rare that 1915 was, what would be so wrong about getting one that does not match 100% in the stock.. Ok It was put back together, so a few of the numbers do not match.. Is that
    really a big deal if the gun comes in well under what a matched rifle would?? Is not the crest the Meat and Potatoes of the rifle?? Its just a hell of a piece..

Now between you and the lamp post I thought the line about "It looks its been put together for a long time" was a real shady worthless line. Almost like the Carnival barker in the Simpsons
    claiming that rumors are that Hitlers body is in the trunk of the car, but he's to busy to look...

Warrior1354

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 25, 2017
    Carthage
    The rule of collecting Mausers is the more the matching the better but sometimes if a rifle is so rare its almost impossible too find one all matching. I can deal with a bolt mismatched piece or a mismatched floorplate if the rifle passed through a depot or something and its marked for that. But if the stock is mismatched you can tell now that this rifle was more of restoration project most likely. Too many mismatched parts now. The collecting rule with Mausers is a mismatched bolt or stock cuts the value down by almost 50%. When it keeps getting lower your better off waiting for a nicer example.

Hell it took me almost 4 years too find an all matching AX 1940 K98k that was a bring-back in mint condition. Rare code and very hard too find but it was worth it in the end. And yes I hate that line its been together for a long time only way too tell that take the rifle apart. When I took my Kar98a 1915 Erfurt apart. That rifle was together for a long time! Old dirt, grime, grease, and a dead spider. But it was all original and all matching.

Top Bottom