• Status
    Please reply by conversation.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I need a 100’ length of recently decommissioned climbing rope or similar, 3/8” or 1/2” diameter. Will not be used for climbing but will be used for ground-level extrication/rescue operations as a tie off (hence why I’m looking for the good stuff!). Any climbers/spelunkers needing to donate some rope to a poorly paid and self-equipped copper, please holler at me! I’ll come pick up or arrange local pick up.

Jamie

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Just for clarity (since I'm really not interested in giving up either of my retired ropes), are you sure you want dynamic rope? If nobody is going to be taking a fall on it, the stretch of a climbing rope is usually a downside.

For ground-level stuff, I would think you would want a static rope. The good news is that these are a good bit cheaper. For instance: Performance Static - 10 mm from Edelrid

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Thanks Josh, I hadn’t given much thought to buying something new like that. I’d looked at Menards and didn’t necessarily want to buy anchor rope, and I’m WAY out of practice with any real climbing technology skills besides standard belays and knots. I know some folks end up having stuff laying around the garage when they’ve taken it out of service.

The intended purpose is for an all-around SHTF line for work: toss rope for ice breakthroughs/vehicles/people in the water, livestock wrangling (on very rare occasion), rescue line for downed personnel, and whatever else may come my way.

I’m not looking to be Rescue Randy (although I’ve had the training and BTDT) but as a last resort in some cases. The Boy Scout in me feels the need to be better prepared. I want something that if my 225# butt is tied off on the other end for some reason, I don’t have to worry about it.

Status
    Please reply by conversation.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tmixon
    Top Bottom