• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    So a friend of mine is pregnant, she's taken up an interest in firearms, her Dr. told her she should be fine in the first and second trimester if she wanted to fire... however, I'm not much a fan of doctors. So, ladies... have any experience with being pregnant and actively shooting? I know she needs to be careful with handling lead rounds, stick to well ventilated shooting venues, and avoid solvents and the like...

Anything I can pass on to her? She just became interested in firearms and I want to give her all the info I can so she can try and explore her new interest while keeping herself and the baby she is carrying safe. Thanks in advance!

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Here's some info previously posted elsewhere...
    If you want the whole thread, just click on the
    viewpost.gif
    beside Indy_Guy_77's name.
    FYI, infants can begin to hear as early as 14 weeks post conception.

"Auditory sense is present in the infant 24 weeks before birth [14 weeks after conception]. This involves brain functioning and memory patterns." M. Clemens, "5th International Congress Psychosomatic," OB & GYN, Rome: Medical Tribune, Mar. 22, 1978, p. 7

Recent technology allowed a tiny microphone to be placed by the fetus’s head and "We heard almost everything, from people talking 12 feet away, to a door opening in the room, to a cart going down the hall with the door closed. The clarity was incredible. It was easy to tell who was talking."
    The results showed the fetus hears everything we do, only 10 decibels less. Their earliest response to sound was at 26 weeks. Is Noise an Intrauterine Threat, Phelan & Satt, by R. McGuire, Med. Tribune, Nov. 30, 1989

Obviously, I'm not a physician. But I highly encourage you to talk to your OB about this and get his professional medical opinion.

-J-

PhilB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    Randolph Co.
    When I was younger and a much more active shooter, my wife went to the range with me frequently. When she was pregnant with our oldest son she had to quit going towards the end of her pregnancy. The sound of the shots would cause the baby to jump or move. I don't think it hurt the baby but it was quite uncomfortable for my wife.:D She said it was hard to shoot a pistol without flinching when you're expecting the baby to kick your bladder.:laugh:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Whether it is true or not that shooting might hurt a fetus, the old rule of better to be safe than sorry. While there is a good chance you won't notice any problems with your child, why take the chance. It is only a few months of not shooting versus a life time of hating yourself if God forbid there be something wrong with your child, whether you can relate it to the shooting or not.

My 2 cent, error on the side of safety. Again, it's only a few months.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Whether it is true or not that shooting might hurt a fetus, the old rule of better to be safe than sorry. While there is a good chance you won't notice any problems with your child, why take the chance. It is only a few months of not shooting versus a life time of hating yourself if God forbid there be something wrong with your child, whether you can relate it to the shooting or not.

REPPED!
    /thread

:yesway:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne

:+1::+1::+1:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

All that needs to be said.

there are known risks and it hasn't been "proven" safe (cuz who wants to experiment with an unborn kiddo?). Kinda tips the scale one direction, IMO.

hidesert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    My wife and I took out my .380 when she was 7+ months pregnant. She and the kid were fine. We took the next pregnancy to see KISS. Both are fine.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    To risk the hearing of an unborn child for a few months of shooting is sheer lunacy. Just my opinion, and it's the choice of every female out there.

Some folks have been known to win in Vagas.... others have lost their shirts.
    A shirt can be replaced.....

I posted this months ago, and started a large pissin' match, but here's the info, I found. Do as your conscience leads you to do, but I'm not arguing about it any more.

I really did look, and search, but I couldn't find the original thread...

I had a pregnant (first trimester) lady inquire about firearms classes for her and her husband. I told her that I would be glad to teach her, but only upon receipt of a statement from her Dr. saying that it would be safe for her to do so. I've had several similar requests over the years, and have never received a statement from a Dr. saying it would be safe to shoot during pregnancy. I haven't found any concrete evidence, either way. I won't risk damaging the hearing of an unborn child, but here are a couple of considerations.....

Dangerous Decibels Hearing Loss

• A typical conversation occurs at 60 dB - not loud enough to cause damage.
    • A bulldozer that is idling (note that this is idling, not actively bulldozing) is loud enough at 85 dB that it can cause permanent damage after only 1 work day (8 hours).
    • When listening to music on earphones at a standard volume level 5, the sound generated reaches a level of 100 dB, loud enough to cause permanent damage after just 15 minutes per day!
    • A clap of thunder from a nearby storm (120 dB) or a gunshot (140-190 dB, depending on weapon), can both cause immediate damage.
    then this........

http://www.theppsc.org/Staff_Views/C...nt_officer.htm

Noise usually is considered to be detrimental during pregnancy. In most European countries, health regulations forbid pregnant women from working in surroundings with a continuous noise level greater than 80 dB or a rapid-impulse noise level greater than 40 dB, which is much less than the noise of a firearm [6]. In the United States, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration permissible exposure limit for rapid-impulse noise is 140 dB, with additional regulations for continuous noise. The sound levels of firearms are about 125 to 140 dB for rimfire rifles; 140 to 150 dB for rimfire pistols; and 150 to 160 dB for centerfire rifles, pistols, and shotguns [7].

Intrauterine measurements showed that the fetus was not significantly protected against loud noises [8]. One study in human volunteers found a maximal intrauterine noise attenuation of 10 dB at 4000 Hz [9]. In a study of ewes, the noise attenuation was 20 dB at 4000 Hz, but the noise inside the uterus was 2 to 5 dB greater at 250 Hz [10]. In comparison, foam plugs offer attenuation of 12 to 20 dB and are considered to be the least effective hearing protection [7].

Noise exposure during pregnancy has been associated with several disorders, including miscarriage [11,12], intrauterine growth retardation [13,14,16], preterm delivery [12,15,16], hearing loss in babies and children [17], altered immune response in the fetus [18], and hypertension [12]. A combined exposure to noise and lead seems to have an increased toxicity, causing heart lesions, which are not observed for those agents alone [19].

For information only.....

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    More to add:

My wife is nearing the end of her 25th week with our first child.

In the Pregnancy Diary book that we've been reading, it said that the hearing organs are complete at the end of the 24th week.

So, coupling that with what I found earlier and posted in another thread, that's a 10-week window where the baby can hear... But it gets betterer and betterer. I do not know for sure, but I PRESUME that from 24wks through birth that it stays roughly the same.

Also what we know: Sound is a pressure wave.

As such, sound waves travel FASTER in fluids and are much more easily felt in fluids.

Unborn babies are floating in fluid.

Now, while a baby may not be able to hear with clarity due to the fluid, it for sure can hear. And loud noises can startle them as much as us.

Couple loud noises with the enhanced feeling of the pressure waves that'll come at the kiddo from every angle...

I just do not think it's wise, at all, for anyone past 14 weeks, to engage in activities such as shooting.

However, I might very well relax on: suppressed rimfire. Suppressed centerfire handguns, even with subsonic ammo, is still loud. Suppressed centerfire rifle (.223 / .308 / etc) is still painfully loud even when suppressed.

Another hazard associated with shooting and shooting sports is lead exposure. This one's easier to protect against, but the dangers posed by lead are MUCH greater to an unborn baby. Why risk it?

That's now probably 5-cents worth out of my 2-cents.

-J-

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I had a pregnant (first trimester) lady inquire about firearms classes for her and her husband. I told her that I would be glad to teach her, but only upon receipt of a statement from her Dr. saying that it would be safe for her to do so. I've had several similar requests over the years, and have never received a statement from a Dr. saying it would be safe to shoot during pregnancy. I haven't found any concrete evidence, either way. I won't risk damaging the hearing of an unborn child

That about says all that can be said ^.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    My wife is prego with our 3rd. I dont want her around gun/shooting at that time for a few reasons including: lead, loud noise, and solvents.

Its only 9 months, but what happens in that 9 months can effect a child for life. Not worth the risk to me.

Top Bottom