• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    As active shooters its our responcability to take new shooters to the range and really reinforce their interest in our sport. Sometimes that means going out and having a bit of safe fun instead of repetative training. I like to do my part one or two women at a time. So today after the Valpo Gun Show, I took this lady out to JP and had a blast with her. This was her first time shooting a Compact Pistol, but it prolly will not be her last.

Also its important for women to exercise there wrist and forarm muscles so that they can better fire compacts. Limp Wristing is a hard problem to solve. Try and try as I might, I could not figure out a way for her to fire the pistol without this happening. I know she is a small woman, but the pistol is only a 9mm.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YioOtiwBGDY]YouTube - Woman with pistol 1[/ame]

At least she had fun shooting the Ruger 10/22 afterwards.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roaem3vRGgQ]YouTube - Woman with rifle 1.MOV[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjvMLFJ7l4w]YouTube - Woman with rifle 2.MOV[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGZ2ALjPOiE]YouTube - woman with rifle 3.MOV[/ame]

:ingo:

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    Not a shooting expert, that being said I would have her lean forward a little more I find this helps. The way she is standing it's easier for her to be "knocked" off balance.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    Not a shooting expert, that being said I would have her lean forward a little more I find this helps. The way she is standing it's easier for her to be "knocked" off balance.

Kinda what I was thinking. She looks familiar - have you posted a video of her shooting before?

She does seem to lean back a bit and if this is the same girl I'm thinking of, she was leaning back in the last video too.

RH822-A

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Pleasant Lake, Steuben County
    What Pretty Women do after Gun Shows
    Mine drags my butt to JC Penny, cause she know I hate following her around that store as much as she hates following me around gun shows.
    My wife knows how to shoot (Army trained) but just chooses not to.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    She would likely find shooting a .22 easier to learn the basics on. Then move to a 9mm. have her put her hands together as if she was getting ready to fire a handgun. "bump" her clasped hands from the front. If her toes come up, she's off balance to the rear. Ideally for most folks, control is more easily achieved with shoulders above, or better yet, a bit in front of the hips. Consider sliding her left hand a bit further around in front of her strong hand, and perhaps doing a bit of "push-pull" with her hands.... gentile push with her strong hand into her support hand.....

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Can she throw a closed-fisted punch? She has to lock her wrist to execute that properly without causing injury. If she can, she "knows" how to do it. Whether or not she has the strength or the ability to remember to transfer that knowledge to the grip when shooting is another story.

Limp-wristing is usually a grip strength issue. It's nearly impossible to limp-wrist when the grip is right. (I've also read it's a problem in polymer pistols more than others. Something about less inertia in the lighter pistols means more reliance on the shooter's hand stability to keep the pistol in place for the slide to move against. Not the most technical description, but good enough for government work.)

Most discussions of limp-wristing by women focus on their physical strength. But my personal opinion is that there's a fear that keeps them from "attacking" the act of shooting. They are passive shooters when it comes to the act of shooting rather than active ones. Her posture in the videos kind of hints this may be the case.

Regardless, you should determine first if she has the physical strength. Silly as it sounds, have her grab your wrist as if she were trying to keep you from tickling her while you try to tickle her (or at least move your hands towards her as if that's what you were trying to do). If she can't provide any resistance in the wrists (which will come from locking them and creating a firm, strong grip on your wrist), there's probably some strength issues. Might also be fear issues, but strength is easier to diagnose.

If she wards off your "advances well", the move to the .22 and a focus on a more assertive shooting posture will probably help. And there just might be some guns she can't get a good strong grip on for some reason.

Anyway, that's based on my experience with female shooters. I've never had a problem limp-wristing when I've been able to get a good grip. So I would say that's a good place to start. Just my :twocents:

Good luck.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Kinda what I was thinking. She looks familiar - have you posted a video of her shooting before?

I was thinking the same thing. She looks like the girl from a post about her first time at a gun range. She was wearing stilleto boots and stick thin. The hair and Orange tinted safety glasses are identical. That girl was the sister to the OP's girlfriend. I looked for that thread but couldn't find it to compare the two girls.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I was thinking the same thing. She looks like the girl from a post about her first time at a gun range. She was wearing stilleto boots and stick thin. The hair and Orange tinted safety glasses are identical. That girl was the sister to the OP's girlfriend. I looked for that thread but couldn't find it to compare the two girls.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...7362-gorgeous_woman_at_the_shotgun_range.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...woman_doing_zombie_pacification_training.html

there ya go

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Sadclown and his sidekick stopped by our tables at the Valpo show this past weekend. It was nice meeting her and I think it is great that she likes to shoot. :D

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Also its important for women to exercise there wrist and forarm muscles so that they can better fire compacts. Limp Wristing is a hard problem to solve. Try and try as I might, I could not figure out a way for her to fire the pistol without this happening. I know she is a small woman, but the pistol is only a 9mm.

As the others mentioned, she definitely needs to have a more forward bias of her weight. A little bend in the knees and sticking the posterior outward does the trick.

As far as limp wristing goes, it's tough to tell from the video much about her grip. Given how much muzzle flip she has, I'd say that even though she has her support hand touching, it's not really doing anything. That means she's essentially shooting one-handed. Work on the grip, including applying 60-80% of the gripping force with her support hand. A forward cant of the wrists will help substantially as well.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    As far as limp wristing goes, it's tough to tell from the video much about her grip. Given how much muzzle flip she has, I'd say that even though she has her support hand touching, it's not really doing anything. That means she's essentially shooting one-handed. Work on the grip, including applying 60-80% of the gripping force with her support hand. A forward cant of the wrists will help substantially as well.
    Exactly. Have her move her support hand in front of her shooting hand and have her push/pull her hands together as tight but as comfortable as she can. That is what I worked on with my wife, she's 4'11" and 95lbs when she ain't pregnant and she can shoot anything I have but my compact 1911 .45

SBGR55

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    North Central IN
    88GT- I do agree with the probability of being a little scared. I'm taking a course to become an Armorer and my take on the inertia issue is this. Inertia is created by the round being fired(caliber, load P,+P etc) so inertia will be the same in any firearm. How that inertia is controlled is by the grip and stance and recoil. I hope this is doesn't sound critical or that I might be a know it all it's just my schooling that I'm tryin to pass on. Just starting to work on firearms here in NW IN. I work part time at Kingsbury F&W shooting range so if you or anyone is in the area stop on in. NRA member and NRA RSO. See you there!

Top Bottom