• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I've gotta ask, what's with the pink guns? I assume they sell, because they make 'em. But one would think there would be firearms targeting (no pun intended) women with more, *ahem*, mature taste. I can understand some people might go for the kitschy Hello Kitty look, but why are the gun makers stuck between the "normal" market and the 14-year-old schoolgirl market? Are women stuck between choosing a "normal" gun if they are serious shooters, or choosing a pink gun if they want to make the firearm less intimidating, or to make a statement on the range?

I am too afraid to ask these questions in person out of sheer politeness. (Somehow it feels like asking do you prefer bras that unclasp in the front or in the back?)

Da Bing, curious as hell, ladies

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    I think it's more of a statement than anything else. But I could be wrong. Heck, I know some guys that have pink on their gun...never did get that. Kids these days...

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Pretty much they are a brilliant idea. I've talked to many women who say "I want a pink gun" when we talk about guns. I think it's awesome. Anything to get more women interested is great.

Having said that I always make sure to explain my best how the pink guns aren't the best but it's great that they are interested :)

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I just don't understand it. Why do guys need their guns in OD green? I mean, what kind of market are these gun makers trying to attract? Is it just to attract attention on the range? Boxers or briefs?

It really is just for fun. Why not have a pink gun? Or a purple one? Or a wood stock for an AR (which I can't wait to arrive in the mail, btw)?

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I just don't understand it. Why do guys need their guns in OD green? I mean, what kind of market are these gun makers trying to attract? Is it just to attract attention on the range? Boxers or briefs?

It really is just for fun. Why not have a pink gun? Or a purple one? Or a wood stock for an AR (which I can't wait to arrive in the mail, btw)?

I suppose my problem is that I don't understand OD green either, or for that matter, "tacticool." There isn't much that can compare to the natural beauty of a nicely finished cherry or teak, or to the intricate engravings of those museum-quality guns. Plastic doesn't feel as nice, and artificial colors lack the richness of God-made grains. I dislike the feel of synthetic or plastic materials on a gun, and while tactical items are obviously suited for the military, to me they put up with ugliness for practicality. Most of us civilians have no use for guns in this style except when we want to experience in small ways what it might be like to be a soldier. But some people like that, I suppose, just as some women like pink. But if the guys are playing soldier (like we have been since the age of 5), what are the pink-gun-wielding women playing?

Glad you're getting a wood stock for your AR. Now you can hit someone on the head with the butt of your rifle without worrying about breaking. More mass, too.

Da Bing

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Im all for colors in lots of things.
    So many guns are just black, a few stainless or OD but it can get boring if you just want to collect the gun.
    What if your favorite model of car just came in black?
    I would love to see Glock offering blue, yellow, and other nice colors for their guns.
    Im not saying I would carry a yellow gun but it would be neat to own.

And if some women like the look of the gun, the color and think their gun looks "pretty" or "cute" then they will carry it more often than a "ugly black gun".
    And im all for that, armed women.

So yeah I would carry one or get one for my girl but I understand that it may be cool to some people.

And if that brings more women into guns that's a good thing.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I suppose my problem is that I don't understand OD green either, or for that matter, "tacticool." There isn't much that can compare to the natural beauty of a nicely finished cherry or teak, or to the intricate engravings of those museum-quality guns. Plastic doesn't feel as nice, and artificial colors lack the richness of God-made grains. I dislike the feel of synthetic or plastic materials on a gun, and while tactical items are obviously suited for the military, to me they put up with ugliness for practicality. Most of us civilians have no use for guns in this style except when we want to experience in small ways what it might be like to be a soldier. But some people like that, I suppose, just as some women like pink. But if the guys are playing soldier (like we have been since the age of 5), what are the pink-gun-wielding women playing?

Glad you're getting a wood stock for your AR. Now you can hit someone on the head with the butt of your rifle without worrying about breaking. More mass, too.

Da Bing

I understand your point, it looks like you just want something pretty to the eye.
    I dont care if my black polymer gun is pretty or not.
    Its always concealed in a holster or hidden in a safe anyway so I dont look much at it.Unless I shoot it of course.
    It's just a tool to defend my life with (and to have fun at the range).
    Black works great for that and so does "plastic".It's light to carry and weather proof.It has anything about being "tacticool" or playing soldiers.
    I just want something simple that works anytime I press the trigger.
    And that in a way makes a gun beautiful, being reliable.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I don't see the problem with guns in multiple colors. There are some shades of pink I like. I'd LOVE a purple gun. I've been trying to put together a purple 10/22 now for almost a year. (Just keep getting side tracked on other things to spend the money on).

I have seen some ugly guns in pink and wouldn't own it unless someone gave it to me. I'd never turn down a free gun. :)

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    What if your favorite model of car just came in black?
    I would love to see ... blue, yellow, and other nice colors for their guns.
    Not Glocks, but . . . see below.

I've gotta ask, what's with the pink guns? I assume they sell, because they make 'em. But one would think there would be firearms targeting (no pun intended) women with more, *ahem*, mature taste.

First, are you saying I am NOT mature? Second, why can't men shoot pink?
    1-dadpink.jpg

Or Yellow or Purple :rockwoot:
    1-19.jpg

Or Yellow or Pink or Blue :laugh:
    1-1-1.jpg

1-5.jpg

1-21.jpg

Last edited:

acarnahan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I'm a guy and I'd love to get one of the Walther P22's in Pink Digicam. I saw them on FirearmsPro when they listed all their pink items for Breast Cancer awareness and it the pink camo just looked cool to me.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I'm a guy and I'd love to get one of the Walther P22's in Pink Digicam. I saw them on FirearmsPro when they listed all their pink items for Breast Cancer awareness and it the pink camo just looked cool to me.

I agree! :yesway:
    That the only cool looking pink gun that I saw.That pink camo looks good.

WaltherP22PinkDigi.jpg

Im not sure it looks pink but im colorblind. :dunno:

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Scutter put pink on my glock but it was not highly noticeable.
    2u3w38m.jpg

I don't have it now. It was traded for a different gun.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I don't see a big deal with a pink gun same as for a camo gun. I think the world in general would be pretty boring if it was ony black and white and we know it isn't. :D
    It is all about marketing to everyone. OP you may not like it but obviously they sell which is a good thing. I am all for any color that will promote gun sells and gets women involved.
    Might I also add that pink knives are also cool. Many of the proceeds of the pink items will be donated to the Breast Cancer Foundation and how can you argue with that. :dunno: You can't .

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Most people missed the question I'm asking. Let me put it another way: why just pink? Why not deep glossy red, textured purple, or the whole range of other colors one might see at the lipstick counter?

I can see that pink is for fun -- it's really incongruous on an AR, for example. So that has a humorous effect. Someone here has a gun painted in the John Deere motif, and that's the same idea. Has anyone tried painting their guns in other "feminine" colors, whatever they might be? Or are guns such that the only feminine color that sticks is pink? But more importantly, why are gun makers marketing only pink? What's the market they want to corner?

Color choices are not just about practicality, even if it's black on "tacticool" polymer. After all, how do you account for all the pictures people post here, and all the ensuing drooling over these pictures? There is a process of desiring here, and I'm trying to figure out the case for pink.

I don't intend to criticize other's color choices or to impose my own aesthetic taste on others. Some people have responded to thinking with defensiveness. Maybe I haven't been clear enough, but I'm just trying to figure something out.

Da Bing

Top Bottom