• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jerrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Brownsburg
    Very Cool!!! How old is she? I have 2 girls 9 and 11. If I can ever get back to working I'll buy them .22's. My youngest is the most enthused about it. She wants to shot everything but she is very small ( bottom 3 percentile of her age) She can't really hold up a gun on her own. We have used shooting rests in the past.

DialTone301

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    East Central IL
    The only thing my 10 yr old daughter has asked us to get her for Christmas is her own pistol. She enjoys shooting steel and is hoping to shoot steel challenge matches at Riley next season. She is getting a Ruger Marklll in stainless with a red tactical solutions barrel and red grips (her choices).

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Awesome! Anyone notice that most smaller framed girls (women) shoot leaning so far back? I think they think it will help, but leaning more forward would help handle the recoil better... It's the next thing I plan on working with the Mrs. on.

marine2f3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    I think most people who havnt had any training lean back. It takes practice and training to beat that out of people.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    yeah, my wife does the lean back thing HORRIBLY....she looks like she's going to fall over or do a back flip....even when just handling a gun at a store...lol

marine2f3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Try getting her to practice dry firing the correct way before your next shooting event. It might help out.

Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    despite a few form issues I bet she still has tighter groupings than half the forum! :laugh:

At 7-8 yards she hit 8/10 at a gallon water jug :yesway:

Also, we had this laser zombie shooting game at a haunted house. You had a zombie head that appeared when a door opened and a "real" zombie walking around dodging behind obstacles. It was an AR style laser gun. She hit 4 head shots which won her a t-shirt. I, did not. :laugh:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Way to go, dad!:cool:

Anyone notice that most smaller framed girls (women) shoot leaning so far back?

It is the "girl canatilever". To compensate for the weight of the weapon the torso is leaned away from the weapon.

A minimum of instruction will clear it right up. It is caused by boyfriends handing weapons to women too soon as they do not teach them proper stance or technique (or by watching youtube proper gun handling). If you see it, a man is to blame.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Way to go, dad!:cool:

It is the "girl canatilever". To compensate for the weight of the weapon the torso is leaned away from the weapon.

A minimum of instruction will clear it right up. It is caused by boyfriends handing weapons to women too soon as they do not teach them proper stance or technique (or by watching youtube proper gun handling). If you see it, a man is to blame.

I noticed that stance too that many women have, im not sure it's actually just to compensate for the weight of the gun.
    Usually they do it even when they hold small handguns.
    I think it may have to do with the noise and flash produced by the gun, they want to have their head as far away as possible from the gun when they shoot.

That's why ears and eyes protection are important, you want the first time shooter to know that she/he is safe behind that gun.

+1 to the dad for both ear and eye protection btw, im surprised Kirk didn't say anything about that, even though im sure he would have if she didn't wear any protection.

Lot's of guys who "teach" women to use guns dont know proper stance or technique themselves. :rolleyes:

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Yep, people tend to lean backwards away from the pistol. Maybe the controlled explosion in their hands is alarming so leaning back takes them further away and they feel safer? I dunno, but every newbie I take shooting does it too. It's just a posturing problem and can easily be fixed.

under32hurts

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Central IN
    my 12 year old still does the "lean back" thing if I don't remind her every now and again. ....She's getting it, but it's just taking some time.....

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    It's the weight. Men do it too. Leaning back quite often occurs BEFORE the first shot. Using the body as a support structure in a "new" way, takes a bit of getting used to. Folks new to shooting, that are gently introduced to stance, grip, and trigger squeeze, in the classroom have much less inclination to lean back when they move to the range.

Top Bottom