• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • younggun21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Yes, I am writing this for the specific purpose of showing off what I am most proud of, deal with it

I have been back from spring break for a little over two weeks now and have had time to look back on what transpired on my trip, so I will share.

My lovely lady and I took a road trip down to Florida to visit here brother . She had not seen her older brother in almost three years! I have described our trip to most as the perfect red-neck vacation and I had a blast. ATVs, boating, fishing, snorkeling with manatees and various fish in the clearest water I have ever seen, county strawberry festival, mud trucks, motorcycles, canoeing with gators and of course the gun range!! We went to a local outdoor range with targets at 25,50 and 100 yards. There was also a shotgun range for trap (though you had to bring your own thrower pretty common.) To the gun range we took a model 1100 and an old Ithaca 12 guage, as well as a brand new winchester 30-06 and a hi-point 9mm pistol. the guns were in good shape but not intensely cleaned or lubed or anything.

Here is where the bragging begins. My girl had never in her life fired anything more than my air-soft guns. Her older brother sat down with the 30-06 and fired two rounds at a 50 yard target. He missed all together. Told me he thought the gun was shooting high but figured it was his mistake as well. I sat down fired two rounds. I shot high but hit the paper target above the black circle though. My lady sits down gets a crash course in operating the gun and fires two shots (it should be noted the gun had a nikon scope on it that had not been sighted in.) Before shooting she looked at me and asked "Is it shooting high?" I said yes.

Her two shots from a synthetic stock 30-06 were less than an inch apart and an inch high right of the bulls-eye! Her brother and I just looked at each other our jaws on the ground with the spent brass. She proceeded to shoot more than 2 full boxes of ammo almost in a row. How her shoulder didn't fall off I will never know. We did find that the gun was perfect at 100 yards and I redeemed myself by being the only one of our group of 5 that could hit anything reliably at 100 yards.

Now onto the pistol. I picked up the 9mm and fired 6 rounds at 25 yards. I pretty much fired without a whole lot of aiming but figured I would be good enough to make a decent group (I have experience shooting both long guns and pistols.) Wrong. She picked it up; another quick crash course and she out-shot me again! As before I eventually redeemed myself after picking my jaw up.

Finally we headed over to shoot the shotguns. We had a box of clays and two hand throwers. This is where I do my best and shot as well as I normally do. However my lady is the focus here. I handed her the 1100 with seven shells (6 in the tube one locked and loaded) and explained to her the basic operation. I threw two clays (not at the same time) which she fired at and missed. Clay number 3, 6 and 11 became dust!!!! I was laughing in disbelief! Here was the little 5'6" 120 lb. love of my life shooting like she had been for a while with no experience whatsoever! I was so excited and proud and a little turned on ;)

Sadly though she is still not keen on me carrying, and the chances of getting her to a range with just me and not her brother are slim. It is nice to know though that if something went down I have the comfort in knowing she can hit what she's aiming at. Don't want to end this on a down note so when I asked here what she wanted for our anniversary a shotgun, pistol or rifle... she said "You should save your money get me something cheap those are expensive." Notice she did not say "Don't get me a gun!" Her brother said if she didn't get one from me she as getting one from him! She didn't protest either! There is still hope!

Thanks for listening/reading. I am getting excited again just thinking about how well she did. :rockwoot:

-K

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I've actually heard this is very common.

My wife can out-shoot me.

So can my 50+ Mom.

Pathetic.

undecided

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Yup my mom doesn't like the big guns that kick but she could outshoot me and my dad with our browning lever action 22lr and fairly reliably hit clays with a 410 shotgun(me and my dad were better at this than her though). I think it has to do with women having better fine motor skills for stationary targets.

younggun21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    I've also heard that people who have no experience and no preconceptions about firearms and how to use them tend to find a natural grove and shoot really well. I think this was her case, any how I am so proud of her!!!!

-K

INJoker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I've also heard that people who have no experience and no preconceptions about firearms and how to use them tend to find a natural grove and shoot really well. I think this was her case, any how I am so proud of her!!!!

-K

Yep. Before I go any further, let me mention that yes, proper technique is invaluable.

That said, at it's core, shooting a firearm isn't really that tough... You point it at what you want to shoot and you pull the trigger.

A lot of times women have no preconceptions about firearms. They literally point the gun at the target and pull the trigger. For some reason, it just seems to come together.

Strange.

Bhriindan82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    West Indy
    they say women are better shots then most men
    I'm not too surprised. Speaking from personal experience, us guys tend to tense up and over-think with stuff like this, instead of just relaxing and treating the gun like it was a natural extension to your arm.

When I was at Eagle Creek last weekend I did fairly well when I wasn't freaking out about lining the front and rear sights up exactly right, trying to 'fix' my grip, etc. When I started to think too much about that stuff my accuracy suffered quite a bit. Just my :twocents:.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    I'm not too surprised. Speaking from personal experience, us guys tend to tense up and over-think with stuff like this, instead of just relaxing and treating the gun like it was a natural extension to your arm.

When I was at Eagle Creek last weekend I did fairly well when I wasn't freaking out about lining the front and rear sights up exactly right, trying to 'fix' my grip, etc. When I started to think too much about that stuff my accuracy suffered quite a bit. Just my :twocents:.

And let's not forget the macho B.S. attitudes and all the crap they "learned" from TV!!! :rolleyes:

I'll teach a woman to shoot anyday!! They listen, learn fast and usually are pretty darn good. :thumbsup::rockwoot:

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    My Mother-in-Law and my wife both can dot the I's of my miller lite cans @ 50 yrds with a .22... I have yet to do it intentionally on the first try or repeatedly

Top Bottom