• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    So the wife has decided after a long hiatus to start carrying again. I don't want to turn this into a discussion on why she stopped but rather start looking into ways to get her more interested again.

With the different firearms that we have and the quality holsters that go with them I have decided to look towards a belt for her. Typically she does not wear a belt anymore. I have tried to loan her some of the better looking ones that I have, but alas they are too manly, too ugly, too big and the like.

Pushing for on-body carry. She had purse carried way back when, but sees the problems associated with that. If nothing else works out we may try and do purse carry at least to get her started.

I tried to explain that if she is carrying concealed with a cover garment then nobody will see the belt anyhow. Guess it was a man statement because she didn't agree with my sentiments at all.

Guess I am looking for ideas on quality belts that might not look so tacticool, manly, ugly and such. Any places that might be available for her to get hands-on? There is no problem with spending the cash, especially if it gets her started again. I just don't want to have a bunch of non-winners sitting around to frustrate her.

Plan is to get her geared up again and comfortable with carrying at least around the house. Then maybe we can both sign up for some additional training.

Any ideas or points in the right direction? I will head to a couple LGSs and see if they stock anything but I need ideas.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Don't know where to find "girly" gun belts locally. When I have discussed carry with my wife, we end up talking about other options she can dress around more easily, like ankle holsters and the like.

Talked to a neighbor about the "FlashBang" under-bra style recently. Depending on your wife's build, that may be an option.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    With my wife's OCD she would have to carry on both ankles...

I will mention the bra version but to be honest I am not too comfortable with that carry style. I like to watch the commercial I guess but I just don't think it would be a good idea as the primary.

I have an old Thunderwear holster some place. Maybe I could talk her into that. Still not a very good draw, but better than leaving the gun in the safe.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    What does she consider stylish? I wear a 5.11 leather belt with the insert to stabilize my holster. I wear it every day, even when I'm no OCing. IMO black leather never goes out of style and matches everything I wear with it.

Lees

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    I started with a regular leather belt that's meant for jeans (I think it was from Eddie Bauer), and figured I'd get a gun belt, eventually. I never had the need to upgrade from it, none of my guns are very heavy and it works fine. A Remora, or a Remora with the ulticlip, means you can get away with not wearing a belt at all. I think I really prefer that, I just hate wearing a belt. I'm curious about getting one of the corset type holsters but I'm kind of waiting for them to evolve more, they're not safe enough for me to really trust them with a Glock.

For purse carry, I really like my Crossbreed Purse Defender. I think it's the only holster where I've been 100% happy with it. CrossBreed® Holsters Purse Defender . I do not EVER purse carry with my kids around. It's an office-use-only type of thing. I have ended up using it more than any other carry method. Once, I had a bad situation where a total creep was banging on my van window and being very aggressive, and I was really glad I had the gun easily accessible in my purse, right by my hand, because pulling it from a holster on my belt would have been more difficult while seated in the driver's seat. I also feel like I can draw from the purse more easily than I could from a belt if I am wearing a heavy coat, too. But again, I NEVER purse carry with my kids around, and the purse does not leave my body except while I'm driving.

I have three types of holsters from Flashbang and none of them work all that great. The actual Flashbang is uncomfortable, shifts, and it keeps coming unscrewed (maybe because I am left-handed and the screws are right-handed).

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    A Remora, or a Remora with the ulticlip, means you can get away with not wearing a belt at all. I think I really prefer that, I just hate wearing a belt.

Does this really stay in place if you are mobile? What about reholstering? Better to remove it, holster gun, replace it in waist?

She doesn't like belts... which is what started the problem. She did purse carry years ago, but with a holster stuck in the purse. I am still not happy with off body carry, but maybe as a transitional thing to get her back into it.

Thanks to all so far for the input. I bring it all to her attention.

Lees

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Does this really stay in place if you are mobile? What about reholstering? Better to remove it, holster gun, replace it in waist?

The Remora is comfortable and easy, and I'm convinced that there's no way to pull the trigger through it, which is why I feel good with it, but I feel more comfortable having some sort of clip, which is why I like the ulticlip. I have a tiny clipless Remora and a tiny Kahr .380 that I can tuck into the side of my bra, but I haven't shot the Kahr enough to trust it yet so I don't carry that way often even though it's comfortable and has an easy draw. It's in a good spot for me, no matter how many layers of clothing I'm wearing, even if I'm sitting, I can draw from there. The biggest drawback is that the gun has to be tiny and the woman can't be, and I can't wear just any shirt with it if I want to be really sure its concealed. I have the Flashbang holster that's supposed to go in the same spot and the Remora is more comfortable, quicker, and doesn't shift any more than the Flashbang version. Both have to be removed to reholster.

The ulticlip does not seem to come off and you might not need a belt if you have a light gun. With a light gun, I could jog with it in a clamshell, clipped to Yoga pants. I wouldn't try it with loose shorts. The only problem I have had is when using it on a kydex clamshell with yoga pants, if I have to squat down to pick up a kid who's having a tantrum, or sit in something like an Adirondack chair, it still shifts around too much. I find that happens with the kydex clamshell anyway, but a regular clip/belt combo reducing shifting, probably because of the belt. The belt helps to conceal the whole thing better, too, so the shirt has to be looser if she's not wearing a belt. I don't have a Remora with the clip attached yet but I keep meaning to get one to try it out. One drawback with clipless is that she's got to do something with the gun and holster every time she's got to use the bathroom. With the clip, she still has to be careful about it but it will stay clipped ok during the, um...process...of the bathroom.

LlamaMama

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2016
    Bunker Hill
    I kind of have a similar issue, I don't wear belts much, but I won't purse carry. I used to just tuck my Llama 22 in my bra, but I carry a Taurus PT111 G2 now so that doesn't work anymore.
    After looking into the belly band and corset style holsters, I decided to get the CanCan hip hugger holster. Can Can Concealment - Women's Self Defense Holster. There's 3 styles for different size handguns, I picked the 'classic' size for my Taurus because it's supposed to accommodate up to 6.5". Anything bigger than my Taurus absolutely wouldn't fit in the classic size, if I hadn't already worn mine I probably would exchange mine for the larger one. Otherwise, I like it, it does what it's supposed to do and conceals pretty well. If it's 90° out or something, of course it gets hot, but it doesn't move around. I took some pictures in yoga pants and a tank showing appendix and small of back carry.
    I also ordered a women's leather gun belt from Daltechforce for when I wear jeans and want to use my Tagua holster. It just shipped today, I'm excited to get it.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Very interesting, and you made the gun disappear perfectly.

Went to the website then followed a few tube vids. Not sure how well this will work with different body styles. Definitely a good alternative for beltless carry.

LlamaMama

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2016
    Bunker Hill
    Went to the website then followed a few tube vids. Not sure how well this will work with different body styles.

I wondered that myself, because all those ladies in the videos are very thin, and I can assure you that I am not! These are sold on Amazon as well, reviewers of different sizes have posted a good amount of pictures wearing them. Might check those out as well.

CavMedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    My wife found a purse that she liked, she then ripped the back open and sewed a pocket in there between the outside and the lining, then put a zipper in. If you aren't looking for it you cant see it, and it holds the gun very securely in place.

Top Bottom