• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • morrismm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    Brownsburg
    My wife is signed up for her first handgun training course. She doesn't have much experience with firearms (just the few times I have taken her shooting). She has done some handgun shopping and has an idea of what she would like to buy, but one of the gun shops said NOT to buy a gun until after her training course. I should have asked "why", but I didn't think of it at the moment. I suspect the gun store rep was suggesting to try out a gun before you buy one, but I think it would be better for her to take the course to get comfortable with the gun she is thinking of carrying. Thoughts?

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I'd take her to a gun range that rents guns and let her try a variety. That way she can see first hand what she handles and shoots best. Then she can buy with confidence.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I put my spouse behind several different handguns before she chose the one she runs most of the time.
    Started her on 9mm CZ's and she stepped up to a commander length comped 1911 and liked that platform but the .45 ACP was a bit rough on her after a series of mags.
    So liking the 1911 and needing to run the 9mm I put her on a Fusion custom 9mm 1911. This is probably the 5th choice and she is now a happy camper.

I say all of this so you know she may or may not stay with her (or your) 1st choice.

Will she need a gun for this class..??

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    What is said above ..... If they provide guns, at the class, don't sweat it .....

Maybe she can shoot several different ones .....

Then go rent as many as she likes, she how she shoots, groups, etc ......

and let HER decide .....

JMHO ..... YMMV .....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What is said above ..... If they provide guns, at the class, don't sweat it .....

Maybe she can shoot several different ones .....

Then go rent as many as she likes, she how she shoots, groups, etc ......

and let HER decide .....

JMHO ..... YMMV .....

And I will wager she changes her mind. It is a Female thing you know. :):

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I think the gun store employee gave you some great advice. Heck you may even try and get her two guns to try out during training.
    A buddy took his wife to train with a shield and a Glock 19 (size difference) and she quickly knew which she would prefer. And beyond that she could then make a much better and informed decision about what gun she would like to own based on training. She liked the glock 19 over the shield in training for reasons x, y and z but didn't settle on it. She then could take her preferences and see how she felt about a sig p320, HK vp9, M&P etc. And make the best most informed purchase for her based on something more than she had before training. It most certainly worked out for the both of them, and I can see why. If it's not an option I wouldn't sweat it too much, but I'm just trying to present the side of the coin post training. Especially if the school rents or you have a few yourself.

Lees

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    If the class isn't too far off in the future, she might as well wait to buy. And, rent before buying.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    WIBC's Gun Guy had a show full of relevant info to new women shooters last episode. Including women trainers offering trial guns. Well worth a listen to the podcast:

The Gun Guy Show | 93.1 WIBC

Guy discusses on new and women shooters a lot. Well worth listening to more, if not all, of his podcasts.

Personally, I differ from a lot who blindly say "Let her decide," on the gun she wants. Most new shooters are not well informed. There are certainly better choices than others and some are just bad choices.

Last edited:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    WIBC's Gun Guy had a show full of relevant info to new women shooters last episode. Including women trainers offering trial guns. Well worth a listen to the podcast:

The Gun Guy Show | 93.1 WIBC

Guy discusses on new and women shooters a lot. Well worth listening to more, if not all, of his podcasts.

Personally, I differ from a lot who blindly say "Let her decide," on the gun she wants. Most new shooters are not well informed. There are certainly better choices than others and some are just bad choices.

Agreed, I have always felt like even if you let her choose you should let her choose from only good options. I was able to put small pistols in front of my other half as well as some larger pistols. She was under the impression she wanted a small one like most women until she shot them. She soon realized little pistols don't shoot well, and turned toward some larger options. At that point I called a buddy with a few good options and between the 2 of us we about 6 options out for her to try along with one she personally thought she may like (and was acceptable). She was able to shoot them all and make a good choice. We were just there to guide the choice but in the end it was still hers. Otherwise you can end up with some wacky IMO pistols up for grabs. This is just hard to do because of all of the opinions out there. Someone and for the life of me I can't remember who wrote it but it was cedardrop or lovemachine or someone who is escaping me, but I referenced it many times! I feel like using that guide or something similar and "letting her decide" is the way to go.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I can't remember how many people I've taken to the range who KNEW what they wanted based on handling it in the shop with no rounds fired. "Boy, that little J frame sure is nice, I want one of those." :lmfao: They never seem to believe you when you tell them that it's an advanced gun. "The guy in the gun shop said he sells them to women all the time." ....and then they shoot it and the light comes on.

Same thing with some of the smaller 9's. It may be nice inside the shop, but once rounds go down range and the controls get crowded things change. Just went through about 20 different guns helping a family member try to decide. Still cleaning them all. She knew up front that she wanted a Glock 26 based on the articles & reviews she had read. The G26 isn't a bad choice, but for a new shooter that has no experience and the hands of a piano player it doesn't work well. After all 20+ guns were fired multiple times she finally decided that a 1911 frame had the best fit. She shot my Ruger LW commander in 45 better than any other gun that day. She's now looking at the Ruger LW commander in 9mm for the lower recoil.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I can't remember how many people I've taken to the range who KNEW what they wanted based on handling it in the shop with no rounds fired. "Boy, that little J frame sure is nice, I want one of those." :lmfao: They never seem to believe you when you tell them that it's an advanced gun. "The guy in the gun shop said he sells them to women all the time." ....and then they shoot it and the light comes on.

Same thing with some of the smaller 9's. It may be nice inside the shop, but once rounds go down range and the controls get crowded things change. Just went through about 20 different guns helping a family member try to decide. Still cleaning them all. She knew up front that she wanted a Glock 26 based on the articles & reviews she had read. The G26 isn't a bad choice, but for a new shooter that has no experience and the hands of a piano player it doesn't work well. After all 20+ guns were fired multiple times she finally decided that a 1911 frame had the best fit. She shot my Ruger LW commander in 45 better than any other gun that day. She's now looking at the Ruger LW commander in 9mm for the lower recoil.

Oh man I hate the "I read the reviews" folks.
    Never fired a gun in their life but by reading a few reviews and articles they are set.
    Then we have to convince them to at least try a few different platforms.
    My buddy and his wife made the leap over from the A2A camp. They are huge on doing the due diligence on anything they purchase including cars etc.
    I take them to the range with their guns of choice (glock 27's in 40 I think) and proceeded to attempt to get them on point with them.
    Was not a good day and they were so disappointed in the guns.
    The upside is they both shoot 1911's now.
    I am a bad influence.....:):

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Oh man I hate the "I read the reviews" folks.
    Never fired a gun in their life but by reading a few reviews and articles they are set.
    Then we have to convince them to at least try a few different platforms.
    My buddy and his wife made the leap over from the A2A camp. They are huge on doing the due diligence on anything they purchase including cars etc.
    I take them to the range with their guns of choice (glock 27's in 40 I think) and proceeded to attempt to get them on point with them.
    Was not a good day and they were so disappointed in the guns.
    The upside is they both shoot 1911's now.
    I am a bad influence.....:):

Yep. At the time she was convinced she wanted a Glock 26 gen 4 or "one of those small revolvers". It also HAD to be a gen 4 since it was the newest then it must have all the improvements and be the best of the series. That's what the gun shop guy told her anyway. I went to a friends and retrieved my old G26 gen 3 that I sold him a few years ago, left him a G19 while his was added to the lineup. "But it's a gen 3. You don't have a gen 4 to try out?" I finally got her convinced that it really wouldn't matter much. Keep in mind. I'm 20 miles north of I70 & 2 miles from Ohio. I went to Kokomo to get the 26, then had to take it back the following weekend.

Glock 17 - Too large, too short of a trigger reach
    Glock 19 - Too short of a trigger reach
    Glock 26 - Too small, trigger reach again
    Glock 21 - Too big & heavy
    Glock 30 - Awkward in the hand, felt top heavy
    Glock 30s - Didn't like the recoil, too short of a trigger reach
    M&P9 4.25" & 5" - Awkward in the hand, a bit large, didn't like the trigger reach
    GP 100 3" - Way too heavy
    642LS/642/442 - Too much recoil, hurt to shoot
    625 PC - Way to big, too light a trigger but didn't mind the recoil
    3913LS - trigger reach again, didn't like the DA/SA
    Ruger P90 - Heavy, didn't like the trigger
    Kahr P9 - :lmfao:
    Several other small guns that were dismissed without being fired due to size, feel, & control placement.

Winner of the day was the Ruger 1911 4.25" LW - Good trigger reach, comfortable, good balance. :yesway:
    Other favorites to shoot (but not to carry) were the M&P full size 22's and the S&W M&P 15-22's. The daughter requested a pair for Christmas.

It was a long day....

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I think every new shooter, regardless of gender, needs to take a class or two in order to be an informed consumer--even if just a little--before buying. Likewise, renting/trying a variety of handguns of different sizes is part of that process so that they'll understand the compromises being made if they choose a smaller gun that might be easier to conceal.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    You are making this too complicated. If the question is "Do I buy a gun before or after the training course?", the correct answer is "YES!"

Buy before and after. Simple.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    My wife is signed up for her first handgun training course. She doesn't have much experience with firearms (just the few times I have taken her shooting). She has done some handgun shopping and has an idea of what she would like to buy, but one of the gun shops said NOT to buy a gun until after her training course. I should have asked "why", but I didn't think of it at the moment. I suspect the gun store rep was suggesting to try out a gun before you buy one, but I think it would be better for her to take the course to get comfortable with the gun she is thinking of carrying. Thoughts?

You are making this too complicated. If the question is "Do I buy a gun before or after the training course?", the correct answer is "YES!"

Buy before and after. Simple.

My answer starts with a question... What class is she taking?

If she's taking NRA Basic, then probably not. Instructor is supposed to have different things for the students to test drive.
    A class from TWAW? Maybe, depending on what the Instructor / other ladies have around to test drive.
    Independent instructor's class? Probably, but don't go out and spend money on a Quality Holster / Mag Carrier or a dozen spare mags until after she takes the class and has some mileage with the initial choice of firearm.

One thing that is easily overlooked is a Quality Belt. To me there are a handful of things that make up the ecosystem of a good carry rig, but by large the belt is the most overlooked.

FULL DISCLOSURE - I am an NRA Instructor and (like several above this post) have worked with my fair share of new and / or female shooters. The group of trainers I run with have actually developed a course to help people in these situations - Familiarization with Modern Defensive Handguns

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Here is a place to try a variety of guns back to back and in one visit.

9MM SMORGASBORD | Parabellum Firearms & Indoor Range

If she is taking her first training class with an instructor that is requiring she buy a gun first then I would rethink that class. Did the gun store guy give that advice before or after hearing whar the class was? Might make a difference on if he/she should be listened to.

Try before you buy. Try before you buy.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I will add my voice to Coach and the rest of the "wait" crowd. I won't go into how many women have arrived in my classes with either Bodyguard 380/LCP or a 2" revolver because it was small and easy to carry having never fired it. Trying to start a new shooter on either is usually a disaster. First mag or cylinder and they realize they have gotten equipment that they can't shoot accurately, if at all.. I've had more than one that didn't have the hand strength to cycle the trigger on their revolver, makes for a real wakeup call. Take the class first, hopefully they furnish 22s like we do at Parabellum, and then shoot several to find out what works well that you can shoot accurately.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Certified Glock & M&P armorer
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I will add my voice to Coach and the rest of the "wait" crowd. I won't go into how many women have arrived in my classes with either Bodyguard 380/LCP or a 2" revolver because it was small and easy to carry having never fired it. Trying to start a new shooter on either is usually a disaster. First mag or cylinder and they realize they have gotten equipment that they can't shoot accurately, if at all.. I've had more than one that didn't have the hand strength to cycle the trigger on their revolver, makes for a real wakeup call. Take the class first, hopefully they furnish 22s like we do at Parabellum, and then shoot several to find out what works well that you can shoot accurately.

[FONT=&]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&]-- [/FONT][FONT=&]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Certified Glock & M&P armorer
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&] /[/FONT][FONT=&] RSO[/FONT]

I have 2 GSG 1911's in .22 that we use to get kids/females and even 1st time males into handguns. It is a really good way to start. Get used to trigger disciplines and all that goes with acquiring targets etc. Safe gun handling and so on. Then step up in caliber/platform.

Top Bottom