Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Plinker
    My first firearm was a ruger 10/22 and I think for children all the way up to adult it is a good beginner rifle that is packed with versatility and can be changed as your needs or wants arise.

22lr is a great choice for new shooters. The last thing you want to do is turn them off due to excessive recoil. I started my daughters out on a 22 bolt action rifle at age 5-6. My youngest now 13 has a 10/22 and has moved from a 22 pistol to a 9mm.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Plinker
    Ditto the "start with a .22" mentality.

I read the first few pages of the sticky link. It seems to me the ones that start with a 9mm or 38 snubby are seldom beginners, or they are more imbedded in the gun culture than many true beginners. Our club sees about 60 new members a year, often first-timers. It's painful to watch men with their beginner wife/girlfriend that insist she start with his glock 40. I experienced a young woman who insisted she liked a .45, right up until we put one in her hands and she couldn't hit a torso target at 10 yards. We get a several 60+ age couples that realize they are targets of crime and seek home protection. Invariably, the wife can't rack the slide, can't hold the gun in recoil, and ends up afraid of it.

My daughter, now in mid 30's, shot a 22 while growing up. Her husband bought her a SCCY 9mm last year, and after the first mag she hated it. Too snappy and the grips cut into her hand. I took her to the range, we fired a bunch of guns. She eventually went home with my Bersa 380, and I kept her 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye7br View Post
    Ditto the "start with a .22" mentality.

I read the first few pages of the sticky link. It seems to me the ones that start with a 9mm or 38 snubby are seldom beginners, or they are more imbedded in the gun culture than many true beginners. Our club sees about 60 new members a year, often first-timers. It's painful to watch men with their beginner wife/girlfriend that insist she start with his glock 40. I experienced a young woman who insisted she liked a .45, right up until we put one in her hands and she couldn't hit a torso target at 10 yards. We get a several 60+ age couples that realize they are targets of crime and seek home protection. Invariably, the wife can't rack the slide, can't hold the gun in recoil, and ends up afraid of it.

My daughter, now in mid 30's, shot a 22 while growing up. Her husband bought her a SCCY 9mm last year, and after the first mag she hated it. Too snappy and the grips cut into her hand. I took her to the range, we fired a bunch of guns. She eventually went home with my Bersa 380, and I kept her 9mm.
    +1
    I also believe that one can develope a lot of recoil induced habits that are harder to undo than to develope good ones with a low recoiling handgun for true first time shooters. My daughter hated the Ruger LC9 but loved my dad's XDm9.

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2