Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gun for Beginner

What is a good gun for someone just learning to shoot?

I Care...Really

Good question.
    Need more info.

Male/female..??

Any previous experience at all..??

Hand gun/rifle..??

Avg size person..??

.22 pistol or rifle. Ruger 10/22 rifle or Ruger American Rimfire bolt action are both great choices. A good pistol would be a Ruger SR22 or MK IV. There are actually quite a few other brands that can fill the bill. Walther, S&W, Browning, etc.

One thing I will suggest for someone that is just getting into firearms is to find some good training BEFORE buying a gun. NRA safety courses are a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by pudly View Post
    FYI- You can make that assumption, but not everyone intends to dicker.
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    Sponge Bob was the engineer who designed the Glock trigger. The feel of the trigger press was a self-portrait.

***Hey, you be friends with Kirk Freeman and see how it affects you.***
    INGOer # 23050

Go with tried and true: bolt action single shot .22 LR
    There are plenty of used and new examples, so selection is good.
    The price is right, with most any of them being right at or just a shade over the C-note mark.
    You get almost zero recoil, ammo is pretty cheap, and it's a great way to learn the basics.
    First time I drank was prom night....Zima... took me years to regain my man card. -Kutnupe

Have you read the sticky? http://ingunowners.com/forums/women-...your-life.html

Another factor: is this going to be their only gun to also be used for self-defense? It's better than nothing but a .22 isn't so great for self-defense.

I've always used my .22 pistol (Walther P22) with ammo just fast enough to cycle the action. At least for first-timer adults.

Easy to load the magazine, easy to operate the safety, easy to manipulate the slide, almost no recoil, and not all that loud. Lots of other .22 pistols that are similar.

For kids, I prefer a single-shot rifle. Much easier for me to control if needed. Grandpa's old Remington with .22 Short makes a great starter.
    Ryan "ElDirector"
    _(O|||||||O)_

Danville Conservation Club | JPFrog Offroaders
    Indiana Four Wheel Drive Assoc.
    I make my own luck.
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.

“The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality.”
    ― Dante Alighieri, Inferno

Plinker
    I don't know, I've never really bought into the "give them a 22" suggestion. Obviously handing them a .50 caliber Desert Eagle or a high caliber rifle probably won't go so well as a learning tool, but why not start them out with a plain old 9mm or an AR? Neither are anywhere near harsh in recoil, and they're going to have to expect the bang and muzzle rise eventually. Let them get that fear over with and show them it's not so bad after that very first shot. To me, giving them something with no recoil to learn on and then handing over something that makes a louder noise and actually moves their arm can reverse the process of good skills.

Now I'll tell you right now I don't have decades of shooting under my belt, so my opinion is simply that, opinion. But I learned with a snubnose .38 and a 12 gauge as those are the only firearms I had access to. I lived through it just fine and learned how to handle a gun even when it wasn't all that pleasant to pull that trigger. Now if we're talking major arthritis issues in the hands, then sure, maybe stick with a 3-4 inch barrel .38 or a break-open shotgun or rifle. If they want to stick to .22 for now, let them and encourage them. But don't just make it the default caliber because other calibers may scare them. Let them see what they can do.

Come to the INGO M&S's where you can try before you buy.
    “Son, when the Marine Corps wants you to have a wife, you will be issued one.” -Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by oldpink View Post
    Go with tried and true: bolt action single shot .22 LR
    There are plenty of used and new examples, so selection is good.
    The price is right, with most any of them being right at or just a shade over the C-note mark.
    You get almost zero recoil, ammo is pretty cheap, and it's a great way to learn the basics.
    Agreed. So what do you think is the best single-shot bolt action rifle available.

Cheaper Than Dirt favors the Cricket
    ***Phone Number Hidden*** (See Rules for more info)60.***Phone Number Hidden*** (See Rules for more info)07&sku_instock_b=true&caliber=22+LR&gun_action=Bolt&pp=30&sortby=priceAscend&cx=0" target="_blank">https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/cate...iceAscend&cx=0

Outdoor hub lists these http://www.outdoorhub.com/stories/20...-time-shooter/
    Non-Single Shot
    Savage Arms Mark II .22 LR and 93R .17 HMR
    Ruger American Rimfire
    Marlin Model XT-22 series
    marlin xt-22

Single-shot rifles
    Henry Mini Bolt Youth (henry mini bolt)
    Savage Arms Rascal Series Youth .22 LR
    Crickett,single shot

Any preference?
    “A man's got to do what a man's got to do.” John Wayne

I was thinking a 5 pound 50 BMG without a butt pad, or a 34" 12 ga. with a straight stock! Just kidding, advice above is the way to go.

The colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast