Friend's workplace is implementing "random bag checks" due to issues with theft.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Anyone here deal with such a thing at their workplace? How thorough would you say they are?

Think a purse with a dedicated firearm area would be OK? Might not be worth losing their job.

I loathe that the company is doing this to their employees... but it's still an excellent job for the person, and leaving the company isn't really an option.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I think that I would look very hard at management who seems to try to catch someone stealing by a blanket investigation. It means 1) they are too lazy to actually figure it out 2)know who, and don't want to do anything or 3)the person is a very good thief

Our handbook lays out when we can be searched, and drug tested. THey can't search us as we leave.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I've dealt with that for 25 years. Not including 6 years in the navy.
    Cars can be searched too.
    Part of the agreement to work where I am.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    If they are searching purses and firearms are off limits at this place of employment, that pocket is going to be part of the search. Anyone who picks up my purse, would question why it is so heavy. Maybe not all women carry a .45 with a full mag but a firearm adds a significant amount of weight that would not be explained by what is in the rest of my purse.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If they are searching purses and firearms are off limits at this place of employment, that pocket is going to be part of the search. Anyone who picks up my purse, would question why it is so heavy. Maybe not all women carry a .45 with a full mag but a firearm adds a significant amount of weight that would not be explained by what is in the rest of my purse.

"Why so heavy, Mom45?"
    "Its full of... um... 'feminine care products... that time you know. Want to see them?"
    "NEEEEEXT!!!"
    :laugh:

I'll never forget the bag checks when I am carrying my Maxpedition versipack. They typically have you open the flap for the main compartment and look inside. Lifting the flap hides the zipper for the gun compartment from the inspector. I had one guy try to be extra thorough. He didnt like what he saw when I lifted the flap. He expected to find goodies but no. He obviously had a suspicion I was up to something and proceeded to have me open the front pouch as well as the outside zipper as well. All the while in his quest to be cool he was missing the money shot because what he REALLY wanted to find was obscured from his view. He waved me on in, slightly annoyed. :facepalm:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I worked as a temp at a FedEx Ground facility for a few weeks during college. Everybody got searched and patted down at the end of their shift. No big deal. Just one of the conditions of working there.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Maybe I should put a super jumbo size bag of M&M's in there...that would be heavy.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Are they really just looking for guns...???

I wasn't sure if it was guns they were looking for but if guns are off limits, you wouldn't want one being found in your purse/bag so I don't think the separate pocket would be hidden enough to e missed. Mine has an obvious zippered pocket there.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Are they searching people too? Or just bags? It *may* be an option for him to carry in on his body and then place it in his bag; I'm assuming he already can't keep it on his person during the day due to the fact it's in a bag as of now. But it would solve the bag check problem.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    The place I worked use to "search" lunchbags and purses or bags. They would just have you open it to look in the main compartment. Cellphones were not allowed in the building I worked at, so they were mostly looking for them. A lot of people I know just carried them in a pocket. Never saw them look in any of the side pockets of a purse. I would guess that a consealed carry purse would be fine, unless they were searching every pocket.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    I've worked in several places where searches some as you entered and left daily were the norm. I worked in a building that was bought by a Jewish company that was being
    renovated and EVERY morning your bag or tool box was either searched or sent though an X-ray machine. They were installing bullet resistant glass everywhere and steel
    plate on the ceilings to increase the buildings ability to resist bombs.

Worked at a federal reserve facility and were searched every day, and if you picked up ANYTHING from anywhere the floor included you were quickly beset by cops
    questioned and searched, you had better produce what you picked up and it better have been yours and you can PROVR it, if you picked up so much as a paper clip you were fired instantly.
    A guy got fired for taking a can of air freshener off someone's desk, he later replaced to use after he gave birth to a liberal. Seams he had an intestinal problem that resulted in horrendous smelling BM's that would wipe out a decent sized room and was only trying to be courteous. They grabbed him as he walked away from returning
    the can.

Yep you pretty much have ZERO rites once you're on an employers dime or property. Unless you're Collin K, then the world kisses your looser a$$.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    why can you carry like a naa revolver in 22 mag and deep conceal on your person? Not illegal. I conceal carried every day at my old job and it was against the rules. I wouldnt risk my job over it if I liked my job and think of being unarmed as a occupational hazard.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom