• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Yeah, I think the principle is that if you let anyone choose among options for anything about which they know next to nothing/have little experience, those choices aren't likely to be optimal.

So, assisting someone make a guided decision is likely the most helpful (avoids newb mistakes, etc.).

And btw, tt's certainly not my intent to make broad, sweeping generalizations about women and firearms or reinforce stereotypes (whether accurate or inaccurate).

Posted in this subforum mainly due to the title of the article. Really this applies to anyone new to firearms regardless of gender.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Took fiance to gun store and let her pick.
    She didn't like what she picked after she shot it.
    She shot mine and fell in love with it.
    Got her mine.

Got mother a S&W BG38+P
    Took her to the range and ended up buying me one.

Before Mom got hers, I let her try my Shield. She wasn't comfortable with it.

Xterminator

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 11, 2018
    Terre Haute
    I believe now..after I messed up, that women should shop & feel the gun so they feel comfortable. I bought Glock 42 for wife & regret it because I don't believe it fits her hand. And she ain't gonna bring it back cuz it was a b-day present.lol live and learn.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    warsaw
    I felt several guns before i bought one, i had a slight opinion but i really had to carry it, shoot with it, and live with it before i was comfortable. I now have more dominant preferences, but the comfort comes with familiarity, and the extra confidence that comes with that goes a long way rather then choosing the "right" one.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Choosing a gun for someone else is impossible. If you wouldn't do it for a guy friend then you won't be able to for a woman. Go to a range and rent a few different types that fit her hands and is comfortable for her to grip in several calibers. From there she should be able to make a fairly informed decision on her first gun. As we all know that will only be the beginning of her collection. Just be sure to let her decide and only give opinions when needed. It is very easy to steer someone into a purchase that they may not be 100% on because of your input.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I think men are more simplistic about firearms....we tend to like certain ones, but are not too picky, if it goes bang. Women? Not even close. My wife does not shoot a lot, but when she does, she is very picky about what she will shoot. My daughter is the same way. When I bought her her first pistol, it took us two hours and countless "handling" before she decided on the Ruger LC9s. I was like "damn".

I'm not that way at all....I'll make anything work. :rolleyes:

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    My wife 'chose' my Glock 23 gen 2. She shoots every one I have but that's her preferred carry. She's a good shot with it. I bought her new mags and night sights.

cb46184

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    May 10, 2016
    New Whiteland
    If a woman wants a gun, she is perfectly capable of choosing her own. I tried to get my wife to carry a gun. I chose a Colt .380acp Mustang and a holster for her. I led her through the process of obtaining her carry permit. I even convinced her to go to the range with me...once. I gave her what guidance I could and she fired about 14 rounds and, actually, did pretty well. The pistol has been a safe queen and she hasn't carried it since. The only good point is that I bought a Colt and I'll probably be able to sell it for more than I paid for it so many years ago.

Last edited:

LazyAce

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2016
    Indianapolis
    When I first started dating my wife, she had some hesitations with shooting which came from a sheltered upbringing. Eventually she warmed up to it, after what seemed like 20+ gun rentals and hours of range time we landed on the Walther CCP for her training pistol. I was hesitant with it because I dislike guns that require proprietary tools for disassembly, that and it's not the easiest to take down. But it was one of the few she had no problems loading/racking and no matter how hard I tried to move her away from it, it's what she wanted.

Lived it, learned it, will never push her away from what she's comfortable with. She's not an EDC, but she has no hesitations loading it up and putting it in her purse when she wants too.

JoeG1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2016
    Greenwood
    Gruss Firearms Instruction 317-492-1508 offers pistol classes for women only. They also offer a great discount for the husband if he wants to attend a regular class with here.

HEADKNOCKER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2017
    Clarksville
    But I want the pink Taurus .380.. That is a 9mm right? 9x17.. HaHa!! Maybe the Orange one..

My wife tried every handgun I ever owned & prefered a K frame six shot S&W revolver 15-2 4" over all the others??
    I mean Glock 26, 19,17, 17L, Hk P7M8, USP357C, USP 45 Tactical, S&W 36, 3913, 940, SIG P220ST, P225, P228, P229, Ruger P89, SP101 9mm plus just about any other pistol/revolver out there.. She liked the smith DA/SA revolver over all the others.. Who knew??

JFYI I've been married for 36 years..

bonkers1919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Columbus
    Overheard at the last 1500......"This is a very pretty gun to carry" I turn, look, she is holding a pink handgun. Yeah, pink can be scary.

Tonybnw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2019
    Franklin
    My girl is 2 months OLDER THAN ME, she stands 4'9" but she swears she's 4'11 and 3/4 ... shes a whopping 73 pounds... I drive a semi and am typically only home 4 days a month... she has asked me to find her a gun but idk what would have any real stopping power and fit her tiny hands... her 1 year old daughter has bigger hands than my girl... any suggestions?

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    My girl is 2 months OLDER THAN ME, she stands 4'9" but she swears she's 4'11 and 3/4 ... shes a whopping 73 pounds... I drive a semi and am typically only home 4 days a month... she has asked me to find her a gun but idk what would have any real stopping power and fit her tiny hands... her 1 year old daughter has bigger hands than my girl... any suggestions?

Let her pick out her own gun. Bring her to LGS or wherever and let her try a few. It's her hand that will use it, let her hand pick it out.
    (probably should rent them so she can actually feel the differences).

bwilbs00

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2019
    RIchmond
    First gun for my wife was a ruger LCP cut it was not good , jamming after every round. Traded in for a Glock 42 (since i have had so much luck with them). Nothing like a good gun that you know will always fire and hit whatever your aiming at.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Take them shopping. They need to feel the grips, ascertain what's comfortable, see what points for them.
    Once that is figured out remember that the front corner of the shoulder bag may be the first thing that the bullet must penetrate and that as agents learned in WWII semiautos jam in your pocket.

Crimson Trace may be the ticket for grip comfort for hand sizes. And the cat will like the laser.

Top Bottom