Instructing Shooters: Do's, Don't's and OMG's?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Every year or so, I help instruct female shooters at a range day event. Many are new, some are experienced. My Question: What are some Good and Bad experiences or suggestions you have for an Instructor? What feedback do you wish you could tell someone who once tried to help you along the shooting journey?

The event features a classroom session and then some live fire. I help with the live-fire. In general, if a shooter is competent, I leave them alone and let them have some fun while i focus on shooters who are either new or struggling. If I can, I'll offer a pointer or two to the experienced shooters. Obviously, trying to keep everyone safe can occupy the entire allotted time if someone is careless on the line. I get to see everything from people who can barely function as humans up to Army soldiers trying to make marksman. It's especially fun to see young shooters discovering incredible natural talent!

My answers to the question:
    STOP BUYING TINY GUNS!
    TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!
    I saw a small woman, maybe 40 years old, in great shape. She became extremely frustrated that she couldn't rack the slide of her 380. She had the wrong gun. She was a good shot and student, but that little gun (Partially)ruined her range experience.(i tried to help with technique... She seemed to leave with renewed resolve to conquer this stupid little gun!)
    Get a 22.
    Get ear muffs that noise cancel, play speech louder. I had a terrible pair years ago, but my latest set is great for hearing people speak.
    Keep the finger off the trigger!
    Keep it pointed down range!
    Once upon a time: Got rushed, trying to show a woman she was flinching, she may have thought I was screwing with her doing ball/dummy drill. I should have explain myself more clearly.
    'Nother student had a brand new snub-revolver. It was 9mm. It was ammo picky. It was a disaster: "it's not a bad gun, kinda, Must pick right ammo. then it'll work fine! Probably!..."

As an instructor, I will have gum and mints.
    As an instructor, Please don't point the gun at me.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Limited time with new students, keep it simple. They probably won't remember most of what you tell them so stress the basics, safe gun handling, sight alignment and trigger control. Try before you buy is always good advice and finger at register position anytime sights aren't on the target and prepared to fire. After working on a range as RSO for over a year there's not room here for the OMGs:):

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT]

“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”

[FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Quit starting out new shooters on centerfire guns.

Seriously, get her a .22 to shoot. Allow them to enjoy shooting, before stepping them up to bigger guns.

You literally can. not. go to a public range without seeing it. An obviously apprehensive new female shooter, shooting a centerfire gun their first or second range trip, and with all the body language screaming that she's afraid of it. They're not enjoying it at all, and can't wait for their turn to stand back and watch. And of course, the doofus guy who's teaching her, oblivious to all this.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Teach before you get to the range. It's hard to learn safety rules, how the gun works, ask questions, etc over all the noise, through ear pro, etc. A quick reminder before/while shooting should be all that's needed. They should be familiar with the gun before getting to the range, have dryfired, practiced loading/unloading, etc... all the range should introduce is ammo and recoil.

Start w/ .22 LR
    note: silencers make first range trips awesome. If you are the only one's shooting and you have a .22+silencer, you don't even have to wear ear pro to shout over! electronic ear pro is the next best thing.

when you step up to centerfire, mid to full-size guns only. Why on Earth people think a tiny gun is a good idea just because it's for a female is beyond me. They kick harder, harder to shoot well, are loud, harder to cycle, etc. And no "hand cannons!" 9mm is a good starting center-fire caliber, but I've started people on .45s w/o issue. Just don't jump to the .50 S&W unless you want that person to never shoot again.

I hate threads on this subforum where people are asking what gun to buy for a lady. I'd probably not be happy with your choice if you bought a gun for ME. Take her shooting a few times, rent/borrow some if you can, then take her to the store... she'll be more likely to enjoy shooting if it's something she picked out and that suits her!

I have some things I like to do to prepare people for recoil, that almost always avoids/eliminates flinch.

Start w/ the target reasonably close... there's nothing more frustrating that not putting holes on paper. 5 yds for pistol or 25-50 yds for rifle is plenty for the first shots. If you've done the above, and you actually understand and can communicate the fundamentals of shooting*, they will have first targets they are proud of. I have photos of both my kids beaming with their target showing the first round they ever fired in the x-ring!

*I'm afraid more actual instructors that we care to admit don't really understand or can't communicate shooting fundamentals, let alone the random guy at the range trying to teach a newb. Some times the best thing you can do to teach people you know is go with them to a class! :)

I get this is in the Women's section, but everything above is gender neutral. Only difference between teaching women and men is the women generally listen better and usually shoot better out of the gate than the men.

-rvb

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    ive taken both my wife and niece to an indoor range for their 1st time shooting.
    we started out with a conversation before we ever left the house about range safety.
    i started both of them with the 22LR pistol i use for RFPO for steel, with 1 round in the mag, and a target at about 15 feet.
    after adding more rounds in the mags they both got the "hang" of it, and ran through 200 or so rounds.
    neither one missed the target at all.
    we stepped up to my open USPSA 45, much more noise, some muzzle flash and a little more recoil, but only 1 round in the mag. followed the same formula, with the same results, nice round holes
    i had them stand by and watch while i fired my glock 27, neither one of them could rack the slide easily, and both were turned off my the noise, recoil, and muzzle flash. after 10 or 15 rounds (all over the target, they were both "done"
    we went back to the 22LR pistol and let them see that they really could hit what they were aiming at.

neither were comfortable with the complexity of a 1911.

:cheers:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Be able to explain why each and every technique is done. There is a tremendous amount of conflicting advice about shooting. Explaining why things are done a particular way helps the person make good decisions about who to believe and how to do things.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Start with a BB gun to work on safety (muzzle discipline) and technique. Move up to rim fires and small center fires. I did this with my kids...starting with rubber-band rifles, by the time they are holding something deadly they know the rules.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Great points already made, only one other thing I do.

Now I am not an instructor, but I have taught several people how to shoot over the years. One thing I always do if it is a brand new shooter is only load one round in the magazine for their first shot.

You never know how someone will react, and I would rather the gun be empty after their first shot.

Believe me, safety is my first priority, and I go over safe handling skills in depth before shooting, but I've seen some people do some weird things their first time. Most common being turning around with excitement and forgetting where the weapon is pointed.

Chelise

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    First gun class I ever took: I was already familiar with guns due to family culture, and had a bit of experience shooting. There were other people in class who had just bought a gun to take the class, and that was as much experience as they had. The instructor took the time to ask us about our backgrounds, and then, once the basics were out of the way, tailored our activities a bit/had us shoot at different ranges, etc... This was great because I didn't get bored and had a lot of fun, while others were not made to feel uncomfortable either.

Something else: emphasize that a gun is a machine and should be treated as such. I was having issues with my G19 and causing malfunctions that first class because I was worried about breaking it, and therefore wasn't putting the muscle I should have been into racking it. As soon as I found out that wouldn't be an issue at all, I felt empowered to snap it around and make it work for me, whereas before I was understandably trying to take care of something that had cost a lot of money!

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Quit starting out new shooters on centerfire guns.

Seriously, get her a .22 to shoot. Allow them to enjoy shooting, before stepping them up to bigger guns.

QFT. I took two friends with me to a ladies training, both novices. They had been asking and wanted to learn how to shoot, neither had firearms at home so I brought an M&P .22 and an M&P 9mm to get them some trigger time. My usually well put together friend melted into tears at the sound of the 9mm and was limp wristing her grip; it was educational. We put the .22 in her hands and a box of 500 count rim fire...and she was off to the races. It removed the 'scary bang' and gave her the ability to focus on technique and aim. I think the next time I decide to participate in educating one of my more 'sensitive' friends, I'll do it out on my own property where they are the only shooter and start with a bolt action .22 aimed at responsive paper targets, steel, or staged clays.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    QFT. I took two friends with me to a ladies training, both novices. They had been asking and wanted to learn how to shoot, neither had firearms at home so I brought an M&P .22 and an M&P 9mm to get them some trigger time. My usually well put together friend melted into tears at the sound of the 9mm and was limp wristing her grip; it was educational. We put the .22 in her hands and a box of 500 count rim fire...and she was off to the races. It removed the 'scary bang' and gave her the ability to focus on technique and aim. I think the next time I decide to participate in educating one of my more 'sensitive' friends, I'll do it out on my own property where they are the only shooter and start with a bolt action .22 aimed at responsive paper targets, steel, or staged clays.

We have 2 pistols in .22 just for this purpose. Both have simple red dots on them and are very reliable and accurate. Woman and children have trained/learned on both. Get them on steel in the 1st mag and it is off to happy-ville. Once the muscle memory is in place acquiring the target with out the red dot is easier. Stepping up in caliber is a natural progression.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    We have 2 pistols in .22 just for this purpose. Both have simple red dots on them and are very reliable and accurate. Woman and children have trained/learned on both. Get them on steel in the 1st mag and it is off to happy-ville. Once the muscle memory is in place acquiring the target with out the red dot is easier. Stepping up in caliber is a natural progression.

There are many gun enthusiasts acting as casually acquainted instructors. It is a good service to the noobs as it is better than nothing. However, the main reason I do not train beginners with optics is the bypassing of the most fundamental exercises of the four step process to an accurate shot. There is always much more work to do to bring the student along when they do-not at first learn the process correctly. Regardless, it is good to see someone stepping up to help as there can not be too much instruction.

devildog70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Be able to explain why each and every technique is done. There is a tremendous amount of conflicting advice about shooting. Explaining why things are done a particular way helps the person make good decisions about who to believe and how to do things.

I'd add to this - know, and be able to demo multiple techniques. Nothing is one-size fits all. Knowing why certain techniques are taught also helps if someone has been shown, or seen, a technique that is valid, but with very narrow applications. Being able to explain that has proven helpful in the past, but is impossible to do if you are unfamiliar with the technique or its applications (ie Temple Index, as one example, CAR as another).

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I'd add to this - know, and be able to demo multiple techniques. Nothing is one-size fits all. Knowing why certain techniques are taught also helps if someone has been shown, or seen, a technique that is valid, but with very narrow applications. Being able to explain that has proven helpful in the past, but is impossible to do if you are unfamiliar with the technique or its applications (ie Temple Index, as one example, CAR as another).

It amazes me how we will spend money on everything but strong fundamentals and practice. Sorry no cute accros for marketing success.

devildog70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    It amazes me how we will spend money on everything but strong fundamentals and practice. Sorry no cute accros for marketing success.

I'm not sure how one follows the other. Knowing more than one technique or method to achieve the same goal is in no way indicative of not knowing fundamentals, or not practicing.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I'm not sure how one follows the other. Knowing more than one technique or method to achieve the same goal is in no way indicative of not knowing fundamentals, or not practicing.

only when the shooter spends more time on what and when something may happen rather than Improving the skill set first before if it happens. He gets the benefit of marksmanship that he can use in the shooting sports and for fun. After that level he can worry about what may happen and train for anything. I see many graduates of all kind of schools that can’t make the second level in many of the games.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    source.gif

devildog70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    only when the shooter spends more time on what and when something may happen rather than Improving the skill set first before if it happens. He gets the benefit of marksmanship that he can use in the shooting sports and for fun. After that level he can worry about what may happen and train for anything. I see many graduates of all kind of schools that can’t make the second level in many of the games.

Assuming a valid instructor-level knowledge base, marksmanship is marksmanship. Being able to explain the differences between, for example, Isosceles and Weaver - and where each might shine, is not a barrier to being a competent marksman. Now, if we are talking about someone who is a novice shooter, who happened to become an NRA Basic Pistol Instructor the same week he first picked up a gun (entirely doable), yeah...getting a firm grasp on marksmanship fundamentals will serve them far better than anything else. It also comes down to exactly what level of shooter, or what discipline you are teaching.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Assuming a valid instructor-level knowledge base, marksmanship is marksmanship. Being able to explain the differences between, for example, Isosceles and Weaver - and where each might shine, is not a barrier to being a competent marksman. Now, if we are talking about someone who is a novice shooter, who happened to become an NRA Basic Pistol Instructor the same week he first picked up a gun (entirely doable), yeah...getting a firm grasp on marksmanship fundamentals will serve them far better than anything else. It also comes down to exactly what level of shooter, or what discipline you are teaching.

To a degree however. One can sit in on thousands of dollars of instruction and discuss Fundamentals, Tactics, CAR, shooting inside a phone booth upside down, etc. but until the students put into good practice with a commitment of much range time, testing himself and working on his skill set, putting many rounds thru his guns, and lots of trigger time on what he just paid for, no real learning takes place. And without learning, there can be no teaching. Just a t shirt.

of course exceptions considered.

devildog70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    To a degree however. One can sit in on thousands of dollars of instruction and discuss Fundamentals, Tactics, CAR, shooting inside a phone booth upside down, etc. but until the students put into good practice with a commitment of much range time, testing himself and working on his skill set, putting many rounds thru his guns, and lots of trigger time on what he just paid for, no real learning takes place. And without learning, there can be no teaching. Just a t shirt.

of course exceptions considered.

My point was talking about students that show up, using techniques they have no understanding of. For example, the guy who shows up thinking CAR is where it's at because he watched John Wick. Without having at least a cursory understanding when (and if) CAR is applicable, it's difficult to get that guy to buy into you saying that might not be the answer. Being able to explain the why not, along with the why.

Top Bottom