• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jzim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2012
    Valpo
    my Wife wants to start carrying. She’s been going with me shooting and working to increase her comfort level before she starts. She’s shot a dozen or so of mine plus some borrowed ones. Pretty confident the Beretta 92 is the one for her.

being a full size gun I think shes eventually going to want to keep it in her purse. I’ve seen a bunch of the concealed carry purses browsing online. I really like the idea of her firearm being in a retention holster and not just separated by a cloth divider. Anybody ever experimented with having a leather OWB holster sewn into a purse? Or would be able to recommend a supplier who sells purses specifically fitted for a firearm?

Id also love to her opinions on the 92. Specifically decocker vs decocker/safety. The current one she shoots doesn’t have a safety.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    My only point of data here is carrying a full-size gun sucks (CC anyhow)... and I'm 6'4" and actually can support one on my hip. I can't imagine carrying one in a bag slung off of my shoulder all the time and then trying to dig a full size gun out of said bag if I ever needed it.

So, being that is my only point of data, if she really wants a 92, tell her to budget for TWO guns in reasonably short order as I suspect the 92 will become a fun shooter, but not the carry piece before long, IMHO. All of the women I know who carry, do it the conventional way: in a holster on their person (most seeming to prefer lower back).

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    The best advice is have her try a bunch of compact guns if possible. Though if she likes the full size then you need to research the different bag options available and then have her practice her draws on whatever she likes.

Jzim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2012
    Valpo
    Maybe I’ll check and see if My local range rents a 92 compact. She shot my G19 well enough but didn’t take a liking to it. I didn’t think about weight. Maybe I’ll throw some equivalent deadweight in her bag and see how she feels about it before she decides purse carry is the way to go.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    There are women only instructional classes and meets and she may get a better idea of what she might like to do by attending a few and talking with the other ladies. Might even get a chance to try out some other firearms and carry systems in real life.

Jzim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2012
    Valpo
    This morning we made our first visit to a new(ish) range. $40 a month unlimited range time plus free access to their entire rental fleet (40+ different guns). Think we are going to spend the next few Sundays up there trying and testing. I think they offered classes too so we’ll have to check that out.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    This morning we made our first visit to a new(ish) range. $40 a month unlimited range time plus free access to their entire rental fleet (40+ different guns). Think we are going to spend the next few Sundays up there trying and testing. I think they offered classes too so we’ll have to check that out.

Man... Playing with 40 different guns any time I want for $40/mo sounds like a gateway drug to me... Better call your loan officer for ammo money! ;)

Jzim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2012
    Valpo
    Shoot Point Blank. They seem to be a smaller chain. There are 2 in Indy and another in NW Indiana. Definitely Worth checking out if your ever near one.

Lt Scott 14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Porter County
    Welcome Jzim! Good luck and hope your test firing will allow your wife to help decide which firearm she likes! My wife and I have been Gun Owners for over 40 years. She and I also have LTCH(Indiana License to Carry Handguns), and have tried a few, traded up, and keep a full size for a home defense.(like the Ber 92).

Ours is a S&W M10 revolver, 4in barrel, 38 Spec.
    Some may say"old school gun", but she does shoot it well, and we have full confidence in it.

I like your choice of a Glock19, carrying one daily suits me fine. I bought a S&W Shield, 40 cal, due to almost a giveaway. price. Holds 7rds, and super easy to conceal. Wifey hasn't fired it, but i have and like it too!

The last point to also share is we have a S&W M442, Centennial 38 Spec. Snubnose hideaway and pocket carried. Wife can shoot it well at 7 yds.(21ft). She prefers to CCW the 442, I prefer the G19, similar to your choice. We clean and maintain all of the firearms directly after practice, and she can deal with revolvers easily. I field strip the G19, and Shield 40cal, and those are plenty. one handgun limits your choices.

I have owned and carried a Ber 92, as a LEO(Law Enforcement Officer) in the 90's, it is a fine, full size firearm. Concealing those are a test, good holsters make it easy. Good belt to carry holster, and spare mag is required.

Shoot Point Blank gets a little stir on these forums, it serves me well for indoor range use. Their email finds me, and they have specials on most everything sooner or later. Read on, wait a little, ammo and guns, and classes too. Enjoy your range time, grab a class or two, and keep reading and writing. I learn everyday of new things, some find my gun safe too!
    Good luck!

Jzim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2012
    Valpo
    The first gun I ever had her shoot was my 642. She didn’t much care for it. I thought she’d be all over it!

Id never heard of point blank till we wondered in there. They did seem to have decent pricing. Their used gun selection was a little salty but I don’t frequently buy from there anyway. I’ll have to read through the LGS reviews and see what they’re all about.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The purse carry seem like a really bad option, and I don't see the point of a retention holster if she's going to carry off body.

A retention holster gives you half a second to react if someone is trying to take your gun away from you as you're carrying it on your person.

Not really useful if you're 10 feet away from the purse.

A purse is probably the first thing an attacker would grab.Now you're in a situation where you have to hold on to the purse with both hands (especially if faced with a stronger attacker), hopping they don't take it or worst ... get access to the gun.

With on body carry you can let go of the purse and have both hands free to draw the gun.

AjKilgore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2019
    Northern Area
    Not to be rude or anything, but if it is going to be in her purse there really is no point in carrying at all. However, my wife loves to carry her 22 which i know isn't much in terms of stopping power but is one hell of a deterrent regardless. She has good grouping on the 22 compared to the 9mm and 380 that she owns.

Jzim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2012
    Valpo
    I know it’s not ideal. Is it better than being unarmed. Probably. At least in my opinion. I do think she’ll switch to on body carry eventually. One step at a time.

Looking at the CC purses the majority seem to basically just have a divided separate section for firearm storage. Neither of us is very keen on their ability to secure a gun. In my head I’m picturing an OWB thumbreak bolster sewn into the pocket. Just as a means of keeping it in the same position consistently.

Is her 22 a revolver? I thought about picking up a charter arms 22 mag revolver. The low price made me question the quality/dependability. I have no experience with any charter arms products so I guess I shouldn’t jump to that conclusion strictly based on price.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    It is Sunday morning and I just feel like stirring the pot.

1) off body carry is not as bad as people make it out to be. Purse, bag, Fanny pack all basically the same. It has distinct disadvantages but all offers a few in return. No different then ankle or pocket catty. Context!

2) full size guns off body are difficult to deal with just like they are on the belt. My wife tried the full size 1911 for a while and that ended quickly.

3) .22 LR is generally a no from me. But if you do go .22 make sure it is a quality revolver. Personally I do not give the thumbs up for Taurus and Charter Arms. I have seen great examples and not so great examples of each.

4) Always a trade off with shootability, power, weight and concealability. Always. I help part time at a gun shop, With that in mind let me list the current products that ladies seem to like. These are not the “best” choices for everyone but what we sell the most of and what they like. Incidentally they are popular with the menfolk as well. I personally do not like the term “ladies gun” but it is how we think as consumers. The List: Glock 42/43/43x/48, Sig P365, S&W Shield EZ.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Not to be rude or anything, but if it is going to be in her purse there really is no point in carrying at all. However, my wife loves to carry her 22 which i know isn't much in terms of stopping power but is one hell of a deterrent regardless. She has good grouping on the 22 compared to the 9mm and 380 that she owns.

Off body is much better than unarmed, but it is not ideal. Carrying 22 puts one in a glass house.

peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I’m no expert on the subject and have never purse carried myself but I would think the ability to have your hand on a gun because you were aware of a situation (SA) without brandishing or sending red flags (reaching under your shirt on your belt line) could in fact be a plus? I understand the issue of a purse grab but in that case I doubt the perp is coming back after he’s already robbed you? Not every situation necessitates a .80 drawstroke. Thoughts?

Big Flounder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2019
    Huntington
    My wife's carry gun is her S&W Bodyguard and she carries it in her purse. Not the ideal gun nor the ideal way to carry, but it was a hurdle just getting her to carry at all. We're going to take some training classes soon and I hope the instructor will persuade her into better options.

Top Bottom