• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • linuxhack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2020
    Clarksville
    I bought a couple handguns and took Defensive Pistol class several years back, but my wife had no interest at the time. I haven't done any shooting for several years at this point, but now my wife has expressed interest, so I am looking to pick it back up.

I own 2 automatic pistols a Makarov with about 70 rounds on hand and a Steyer M9 with around 200 rounds. Looking for reasonable priced ammo (like everyone else at the moment).

Which gun would be best to start her with?

We will probably start at the Clark Sate Forest gun range. Any suggestion on refresher material for me and basic teaching material for her?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Start her off with something in .22 lr. Low recoil, low noise, which eliminates two of the biggest intimidating factors for new shooters. Load one round at a time to allow for learning how to manipulate the gun, particularly if it's a semi auto.

Start close (3 to 5 yards). Hitting a bull's-eyes can be a powerful motivator to keep going. Don't be surprised when she turns out to be a better shooter than you.

Whatever you do, don't be the guy that starts her off with a .357 mag in a snub nose. Those guys are jerks and she'll never want to shoot again.

linuxhack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2020
    Clarksville
    Good advice and I would definitely start with a .22lr if I owned one. ;-)

I think her father has a couple guns, possibly a .22, I'll have to check.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Good advice and I would definitely start with a .22lr if I owned one. ;-)

I think her father has a couple guns, possibly a .22, I'll have to check.

Plenty of ranges have them in the rental case. Don't dismiss it just because you don't personally own one. A little more money up front to rent one will go along way to ensure she has a positive experience.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Start her off with something in .22 lr. Low recoil, low noise, which eliminates two of the biggest intimidating factors for new shooters. Load one round at a time to allow for learning how to manipulate the gun, particularly if it's a semi auto.<br>
    <br>
    Start close (3 to 5 yards). Hitting a bull's-eyes can be a powerful motivator to keep going. Don't be surprised when she turns out to be a better shooter than you.<br>
    <br>
    Whatever you do, don't be the guy that starts her off with a .357 mag in a snub nose. Those guys are jerks and she'll never want to shoot again.

Totally agree! Start with a 22 pistol and once comfortable you can move to a 9mm. I would also stay away from anything compact as the recoil will be a bit sharper. I recently transitioned my 16 year old daughter from the 22's to full size handguns. She was having a little difficulty tightening her groups up with the Sig M17 and ended up moving to a 1911 in 45acp. The slight increase in recoil wasn't a big deal but the grip size made a huge difference. She was stacking them on the bullseye at 7yds in no time. Now she has taken over my Ruger SR1911.

linuxhack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2020
    Clarksville
    I found some .22lr in stock online, so I ordered that. Now to find a gun. I am thinking my father-in-law at least has a rifle if not a handgun... still need to check with him. Thanks

vermilionbird

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    Oct 17, 2020
    South Bend
    I also think if you have the option between somewhere quiet/secluded and an indoor range, that you should pick the quiet location - which unfortunately rules out a number of rental ranges. I think being able to reduce the amount of stresses from your environment can really help a new shooter's nerves and that makes for a safer and more rewarding range day.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Don't forget comfortable eye pro and hearing protection. If there are other shooters around I would suggest plugs and muffs together. Big target, close range, do what you can to help her be immediately successful.

linuxhack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2020
    Clarksville
    Successful first range trip for the whole family (other than having to run back home for the forgotten 22 mags). Taught my wife and 3 kids (13, 20, and 21) to shoot handguns for the first time. Most started with the 22 and shot a little 9mm as well.

The biggest frustration was telling where the shots hit. I got a few color changing targets, but with multiple shooters and limited availability of going down range to patch the target is was a little hard to tell where shots were hitting.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Successful first range trip for the whole family (other than having to run back home for the forgotten 22 mags). Taught my wife and 3 kids (13, 20, and 21) to shoot handguns for the first time. Most started with the 22 and shot a little 9mm as well.

The biggest frustration was telling where the shots hit. I got a few color changing targets, but with multiple shooters and limited availability of going down range to patch the target is was a little hard to tell where shots were hitting.

Thanks for the post update, so glad it went well!! Totally agree with the other commenters about starting her on a .22 till she's comfortable with the mechanics.

Also, there may be other Ingo members who have private land and would allow you to bring the family out for a bit more privacy while learning. We took all four of our kids to the public range and had a tough time with the waiting to change out targets between shooters and the loud bangs or flying brass. There was a long time member who spoke with my husband and was very kind to host us. It made for a much easier learning experience (except for the inordinate amount of spent rounds at the end of the day). Their family quickly became like family to ours as well.

linuxhack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2020
    Clarksville
    My youngest got to dry fire the TX22 for quite some time while we waited to get the 22 mags I left at home. This helped him get comfortable, but also caused a couple of problems. He was so used to racking the slide to reset the trigger that he did it the first couple times after shooting, so he had to break that habit. ;-)

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE

This might sound a little strange and I have no idea where you were shooting or how they are set up, but might it be possible to post multiple targets?

A lot of new folks to the club where I RSO seem to overlook this possibility.

Once they see other people do it, then it becomes...:ugh:

If everyone starts with a 22 before moving on to larger calibers you can also get a lot more use out of a single target.

linuxhack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2020
    Clarksville
    Good suggestion, we did have 3 targets, but were limited by the fact there were no target holders and limited material to re-cover with, as well. Luckily other people had left some cardboard boxes so we made do. It had been years since I had been to this range and did not realize that before we came. I will know better next time. ;-)

Top Bottom