Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wife interested in learning

Plinker

User Info Menu

Wife interested in learning

I bought a couple handguns and took Defensive Pistol class several years back, but my wife had no interest at the time. I haven't done any shooting for several years at this point, but now my wife has expressed interest, so I am looking to pick it back up.

I own 2 automatic pistols a Makarov with about 70 rounds on hand and a Steyer M9 with around 200 rounds. Looking for reasonable priced ammo (like everyone else at the moment).

Which gun would be best to start her with?

We will probably start at the Clark Sate Forest gun range. Any suggestion on refresher material for me and basic teaching material for her?

User Info Menu

Start her off with something in .22 lr. Low recoil, low noise, which eliminates two of the biggest intimidating factors for new shooters. Load one round at a time to allow for learning how to manipulate the gun, particularly if it's a semi auto.

Start close (3 to 5 yards). Hitting a bull's-eyes can be a powerful motivator to keep going. Don't be surprised when she turns out to be a better shooter than you.

Whatever you do, don't be the guy that starts her off with a .357 mag in a snub nose. Those guys are jerks and she'll never want to shoot again.
    Well, I ain't always right but I've never been wrong,
    seldom turns out the way it does in a song.
    Once in a while you get shown the light
    in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Good advice and I would definitely start with a .22lr if I owned one. ;-)

I think her father has a couple guns, possibly a .22, I'll have to check.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by linuxhack View Post
    Good advice and I would definitely start with a .22lr if I owned one. ;-)

I think her father has a couple guns, possibly a .22, I'll have to check.
    Plenty of ranges have them in the rental case. Don't dismiss it just because you don't personally own one. A little more money up front to rent one will go along way to ensure she has a positive experience.
    Well, I ain't always right but I've never been wrong,
    seldom turns out the way it does in a song.
    Once in a while you get shown the light
    in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCgrease08 View Post
    Start her off with something in .22 lr. Low recoil, low noise, which eliminates two of the biggest intimidating factors for new shooters. Load one round at a time to allow for learning how to manipulate the gun, particularly if it's a semi auto.<br>
    <br>
    Start close (3 to 5 yards). Hitting a bull's-eyes can be a powerful motivator to keep going. Don't be surprised when she turns out to be a better shooter than you.<br>
    <br>
    Whatever you do, don't be the guy that starts her off with a .357 mag in a snub nose. Those guys are jerks and she'll never want to shoot again.
    Totally agree! Start with a 22 pistol and once comfortable you can move to a 9mm. I would also stay away from anything compact as the recoil will be a bit sharper. I recently transitioned my 16 year old daughter from the 22's to full size handguns. She was having a little difficulty tightening her groups up with the Sig M17 and ended up moving to a 1911 in 45acp. The slight increase in recoil wasn't a big deal but the grip size made a huge difference. She was stacking them on the bullseye at 7yds in no time. Now she has taken over my Ruger SR1911.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

User Info Menu

I started with a 38. Now shoot 9 and 45 semi auto

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gagesmamaw View Post
    I started with a 38. Now shoot 9 and 45 semi auto
    Do you think it would have been too much to start with 9mm?

User Info Menu

Beg or borrow (or rent) a 22 and start her with that, you will be glad you did. If you were closer I would be happy to meet you at the range and get her started.
    "Any man can make a mistake but only an idiot persists in his error" Cicero

Plinker

User Info Menu

I found some .22lr in stock online, so I ordered that. Now to find a gun. I am thinking my father-in-law at least has a rifle if not a handgun... still need to check with him. Thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by linuxhack View Post
    Do you think it would have been too much to start with 9mm?
    9mm isn't much different than 38 special unless it is a compact 9mm. Stay full size and start with a lot of handling to get comfortable with the gun before firing.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast