• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have two daughters, 23 and 19. They have little interest in firearms or personal protection. I have proposed to them that I would pay for their lifetime LTCH license. Neither daughter has tossed it back to me, confirming they would pursue my "gift."

I did explain that the license is nothing more than making them legal. There would have to be training, well beyond my own safety instruction and range time with them, before they could actually carry.

My reasoning is;
    - Their safety. If a fairly immediate threat occurs, their minds could change quickly. The idea of already being legal to carry would be much preferred to to waiting weeks or months. (Yes, I understand that my role would be intensified also. Training, resources, and $ for it now.)
    - The paranoia that the lifetime license could go away. I say this as a holder of an IN Lifetime Comprehensive Hunting and Fishing License. Just try to get one of them now, you can't.

I would appreciate input on how to influence my daughters to take advantage of this. Or, tell me it's a bad idea and to let them be.

Thank you.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Not a bad idea. Getting them the LTCH is the start. Educating them is next. The decision to carry or not should be left up to them. Maybe one or the other won't want to right away.... but she will always have it and if something happens (where she would feel safer) she can be legal instantly.
    My daughter turns 17 in November and she wants her LTCH as soon as she becomes 18. I just hope they are still around by then.
    Do your daughters show any interest at all? Do you take them to the range?
    A good way to help them make up their minds to Carry would be to get them to read through the threads of this forum. Young adults don't always pay attention to what is going on in the world. At that age personal protection is easily overlooked.
    Best of luck to you.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Agreed, not a bad idea at all. BloodEclipse, your daughter sounds to be in a similar situation to mine. I got my 4 year in 2006 and was told when I applied that I would be able to change it to a Lifetime as soon as that became available. My 4 year arrived the last week of June, 2006, and we all know about that last little provision the antis threw in at the last minute. I can't file for my Lifetime till just before Christmas next year.

Back to the OP, yes, if you can do it financially and timewise, if you trust them with firearms, and all the other concerns, then certainly get it while you can.

Blessings,
    B

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I agree that you should continue to encourage them to take you up on the offer. It should be approached gently, which it sounds like you're doing. If nothing else, tell them it is for your peace of mind. BloodEclipse is right; the young adults I know don't really think about the world around them personally or the danger that it represents.

Heck, I'm 31 and still catch myself thinking, "Well that wouldn't happen to me." or "That wouldn't happen here." But what if that situation I had at work really did blow up to be as bad as my paranoia imagined it? What if someone had broken into our house? What if someone had attacked me as I walked to my car after work one night?

BE brought up another good point --do they already go to the range with you? Do they enjoy it at all? If they ever wanted to go by themselves they would need to have the license just to transport the firearm to the range.

The right to carry should be their decision. But I would continue to encourage them to take you up on your offer to get the lifetime license.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have a 9 year old daughter and I have a similar problem. I want her in some sort of martial art, even if it's just basic self-defense or situational awareness. I just cannot get her interested, however, and without interest there's no practice. Without practice, there's no skill. I realize that "she's only 9", but kids get kidnapped all the time. I would prefer that she not get kidnapped and that the guy that grabs her crawls away with a bloody crotch and a shattered kneecap.

The sad fact is that in today's world, she is at a much greater risk of personal attack simply because she's a girl. She needs to have to skills to defend herself.

From a practical standpoint, you can't force them to get an LTCH, of course, but you can put significant pressure on them to get one (a lifetime LTCH while they can still get it). It really won't do them any good if they don't have the interest, though. At least they'll be able to transport your guns legally, if nothing else.

It's also probable that they see getting a license as opening the door to you forcing them to take training that they aren't interested in. If they can stop you here, then they don't have to worry about being pressured to train. Perhaps if you make it clear where the pressure will end they would be more receptive.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    My family has always thought my love of guns was a bit odd for some reason. Neither my son or daughter have shown much interest. I did buy my daughter some pepper spray to carry with her. I figured I would just keep taking a run at them periodically.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    My girlfriend has mentioned wanting to get her Carry Permit. However, the lack of funds is keeping her from doing this. Plus, I also told her that I would highly recommend that she receives training prior to carrying, as I don't believe she has the proper mindset. (That went over well :rolleyesedit:)

Maybe you should approach the situation from a different angle? Leave the carrying and protection aspects out of it, and just tell them you would feel more comfortable with them having their LTCHs. Also make sure to tell them that they are in no way obligated to own, shoot, or even possess a firearm when they apply for and receive their LTCH.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm surprised no one has asked to see pictures of said daughters.
    I jokingly told the 19 year old I was gonna put her picture on line on the 4th of July. She and her 21 year old cousin went down town to see the fireworks by themselves. I told her of my concern for the safety of two young ladies by themselves and that I had friends from this board who would look out for her if they knew what she looked like. She didn't much care for that idea.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Maybe you should approach the situation from a different angle? Leave the carrying and protection aspects out of it, and just tell them you would feel more comfortable with them having their LTCHs. Also make sure to tell them that they are in no way obligated to own, shoot, or even possess a firearm when they apply for and receive their LTCH.

Thanks. I guess I didn't make it real clear, that is exactly what I've done. I'm not trying to push them into carrying, like that would even work with my strong willed daughters. I'm trying to push them into getting licensed without obligations, as you mentioned.

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    My 21-year-old sister first got her permit when she wasn't interested in carrying a gun. She got it because my Dad asked her to, to make sure she stayed on the legal side of things, as my Dad had guns around. He didn't want her to get into trouble if he had left a gun in the car and she took the car to the grocery store. Or if she ever dropped him off somewhere and he needed to disarm.

Now she carries her own Sig P250 everywhere she goes.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars

Can you blame her? ;)

But esrice makes a good point there also... that's how I got talked into my LTCH. Lars wanted to make sure I was covered if he left a gun in the trunk or something and I was driving without him in the car. Both extremely unlikely events, but still possible.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I have a similar issue, my 16 yo Dau cares nothing for guns. This OK by me; but, I did tell her that she will learn about guns and safe handling of guns. IMHO I see nothing wrong with your offer.

pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    My 21-year-old sister first got her permit when she wasn't interested in carrying a gun. She got it because my Dad asked her to, to make sure she stayed on the legal side of things, as my Dad had guns around. He didn't want her to get into trouble if he had left a gun in the car and she took the car to the grocery store. Or if she ever dropped him off somewhere and he needed to disarm.

My thoughts exactly. I told the wife I would like her to get her LTCH just for this reason. She never has to carry unless she wants to. I told her pretty much the same examples. What if for some reason I leave my gun in the car and she takes it to run some movies back? What if I pull into a fire lane in front of Kroger to run in a get a gallon of milk and leave her and my gun in the car? It's little things like this that you might want to bring up to them if you haven't already. They aren't out anything but maybe an hour of their time. They should be all over this. Silly girls. :do2:

BTW- She's all for getting it. It's just a matter of finding the time because she doesn't want to apply for it by herself.

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    Keep working on it. A lot of women don't trust themselves with guns for whatever reason. Just having the LTCH may help them make the next step. Women have always been at a disadvantage when it comes to protecting themselves simply because we don't have the same physical strength as most men. At some point something may happen that hits them and changes their mind about packing. If so they will be ready to go. Good luck. I wish more men started out their little girls with this sort of thing like they do sons.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Be careful what you wish for.

Just a little update. Youngest daughter moved from nonchalance to "lets do this" in an instant. Ex-boyfriend thing.

Now I'm coaxing her to get busy with the application process. Also, scraping together the bucks to help assist her with everything involved in getting her ready to carry, if she chooses to.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Just a little update. Youngest daughter moved from nonchalance to "lets do this" in an instant. Ex-boyfriend thing.

Now I'm coaxing her to get busy with the application process. Also, scraping together the bucks to help assist her with everything involved in getting her ready to carry, if she chooses to.

That is good news. Now hopefully you get to spend some quality time with her at the range and or training classes.

Top Bottom