• ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I have hesitated posting this here, but can't resist. This was written & happened two weeks ago:

For years I have been hoping my wife would come to the range with me someday. About a year back, she began making mention of coming "sometime" but I did not push and neither did she.

A bit of background: she comes from a family where dad had guns but kept them hidden. Mom does not really like guns. My wife never was exposed to them and was scared when I brought the first one home...

Fast forward years and we have a gunsafe full of evil black rifles, I carry daily, and today she decided that we needed to hire a babysitter and take her to the range.

Her only real concern was her hands which have tendon issues and was clear that light trigger pulls were a must.

So off to the range we went with a truckload of fun: (3x AK's, 1 AR, 1 S&W 66, 1 Kimber, 1 J-Frame). And then problem 1 arose:

My range was under 5+ feet of water!

No joke. 20 minute drive to find the range was unusable.

Time to re-tool. The babysitter was good for another 4 hours so we had to choose between an in door range 40 minutes further on (Pop's Guns), or an outside range 1 hour away (Riley Conservation Club). So we headed to the in door one even though we would not be able to get the rifles running.

We had a nice drive and get to Pop's Guns to find that half their bays are out of order and there is a line. So we wait. I figured at any moment my wife would call it off, but she stuck it out. As it turns out she got to meet some nice young people also waiting who were as far from her "bubba" fears as possible. It was the perfect day to run into a young couple wearing Ani DeFranco t-shirts!

1 hour we wait.

Then we get our turn. We get to our bay. I load up the 66 with light 38 loads and the guy with the glock next to us opens up. My wife jumps out of her skin and again I think we are ready to go early. Nope, she stays even though she jumps every time the glock fires. I point out she is jumping less each time and that the room is an echo chamber.

So I put one round in the 66 and find out she has problems with it's weight. We work on that and then she lets go the first round. BANG! It is far more than she expected. And far, far louder. She is more than ready to go, you can see it in her eyes, yet she refuses to leave.

She lets me let loose with the Kimber and when I turn back she is still there and no longer jumping when the glock guy fires. She wants to fire the 66 one last time but is sure she does not like it. And that is exactly what happened.

So, I suggest we rent a smaller gun and see how that goes. So 2 minutes later with a Walther P22 in hand she is banging away and doing well. In fact, she is liking it!

We ended up putting a good amount of .22lr down range and she felt really good about it. We only packed up to leave because 4 thuggish guys showed up to shoot and I was done. (Happily too as 3 minutes later I see one of them clearing a doublefeed with finger on the trigger and firearm pointing at his buddy).

And the coupe de gras - on the way home my wife asks how much .22lr costs. I tell her it is cheap to shoot and she corrects me - "Not the Ammo, the gun. Can we get one to keep?"

I told her I would get one tomorrow.

Then the UBER coupe de gras - "If I end up with a gun at some point, should I just get a carry permit this week? Is the lifetime permit expensive?"

I teared up.

Today SHOULD HAVE gone so very wrong. But with the right woman, even the worst series of events can go exactly right.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I have hesitated posting this here, but can't resist. This was written & happened two weeks ago:

For years I have been hoping my wife would come to the range with me someday. About a year back, she began making mention of coming "sometime" but I did not push and neither did she.

A bit of background: she comes from a family where dad had guns but kept them hidden. Mom does not really like guns. My wife never was exposed to them and was scared when I brought the first one home...

Fast forward years and we have a gunsafe full of evil black rifles, I carry daily, and today she decided that we needed to hire a babysitter and take her to the range.

Her only real concern was her hands which have tendon issues and was clear that light trigger pulls were a must.

So off to the range we went with a truckload of fun: (3x AK's, 1 AR, 1 S&W 66, 1 Kimber, 1 J-Frame). And then problem 1 arose:

My range was under 5+ feet of water!

No joke. 20 minute drive to find the range was unusable.

Time to re-tool. The babysitter was good for another 4 hours so we had to choose between an in door range 40 minutes further on (Pop's Guns), or an outside range 1 hour away (Riley Conservation Club). So we headed to the in door one even though we would not be able to get the rifles running.

We had a nice drive and get to Pop's Guns to find that half their bays are out of order and there is a line. So we wait. I figured at any moment my wife would call it off, but she stuck it out. As it turns out she got to meet some nice young people also waiting who were as far from her "bubba" fears as possible. It was the perfect day to run into a young couple wearing Ani DeFranco t-shirts!

1 hour we wait.

Then we get our turn. We get to our bay. I load up the 66 with light 38 loads and the guy with the glock next to us opens up. My wife jumps out of her skin and again I think we are ready to go early. Nope, she stays even though she jumps every time the glock fires. I point out she is jumping less each time and that the room is an echo chamber.

So I put one round in the 66 and find out she has problems with it's weight. We work on that and then she lets go the first round. BANG! It is far more than she expected. And far, far louder. She is more than ready to go, you can see it in her eyes, yet she refuses to leave.

She lets me let loose with the Kimber and when I turn back she is still there and no longer jumping when the glock guy fires. She wants to fire the 66 one last time but is sure she does not like it. And that is exactly what happened.

So, I suggest we rent a smaller gun and see how that goes. So 2 minutes later with a Walther P22 in hand she is banging away and doing well. In fact, she is liking it!

We ended up putting a good amount of .22lr down range and she felt really good about it. We only packed up to leave because 4 thuggish guys showed up to shoot and I was done. (Happily too as 3 minutes later I see one of them clearing a doublefeed with finger on the trigger and firearm pointing at his buddy).

And the coupe de gras - on the way home my wife asks how much .22lr costs. I tell her it is cheap to shoot and she corrects me - "Not the Ammo, the gun. Can we get one to keep?"

I told her I would get one tomorrow.

Then the UBER coupe de gras - "If I end up with a gun at some point, should I just get a carry permit this week? Is the lifetime permit expensive?"

I teared up.

Today SHOULD HAVE gone so very wrong. But with the right woman, even the worst series of events can go exactly right.

Gotta love those little Walthers. My first purchased handgun. I've taught two women how to shoot with it (coincidentally, I did so at the range where RonPaulSupporter's avatar pic was taken!) :) Great story. :+1:, and congratulations on a great range day and a better lady. :)

Blessings,
    B

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    When SHE starts fronting the idea of going to the range, she's hooked. All ya gotta do is reel her in nice and slow... :)

My wife's turning point was when we first moved in together, and she started getting exposed to guns and gun stuff on a daily basis. Even though she was (and remains) politically liberal, she wasn't necessarily anti-gun – she just didn't have any firsthand experience on which to base rational opinions. One day she ups with "if there's going to be guns in the house, I should probably know how to handle them in case you leave one out and I have to put it away or something." Fish on! :D So right then, we had a show-and-tell session and I explained how to check, load and unload everything I had at the time, and the 4 rules of gun safety. No interest in live fire, and I didn't push the issue. Some time passes, and she comes to me with another revelation. "I should probably learn how to use one of your guns, in case someone breaks in while you're not home." Well, if you're going to hold the door, least I can do is oblige you by walking through...

And the rest (11 years, lots of range trips, three handguns, two defensive pistol classes and a GSSF High Female Shooter award), as they say, is history. :cool:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    When SHE starts fronting the idea of going to the range, she's hooked. All ya gotta do is reel her in nice and slow... :)

Sunday was another trip. She did really well and remarked that the P22 really was starting to feel like "her gun". We had a lot of fun but quit when it got hot. It is really starting to be our favorite date!

The only down side is that she is beginning to count up $'s totals for my stockpile and that was a um.. fun... conversation....

It's all good now. :)

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The only down side is that she is beginning to count up $'s totals for my stockpile and that was a um.. fun... conversation....

You need to bring her to NFA Day and let us tell her about the pricetags on those toys... she'll never bother you about yours again! ;)

My wife and I both work second jobs for "mad money" and maintain personal checking accounts in addition to our joint. That way, we aren't accountable to each other for what we spend on our "toys," because it's not in lieu of things like mortgage, groceries, or clothes for the kid. It may not be feasible for everyone, but it sure works for us.

She has some concept of what I've spent on guns, because she's seen how much they're insured for, but she has never once complained about it – partially because of the financial arrangement we have, and partially because she's got no room to (I expect she has spent as much or more on scrapbook supplies, shoes, and jewelry over the years)!

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    That's almost like one of those PentHouse Forum letters.

Dear INGO,

I never thought these stories were true until...

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    That's almost like one of those PentHouse Forum letters.

Dear INGO,

I never thought these stories were true until...

Is there something you would like to tell us Ri22o?

As for the wife & Shooting, GREAT!!!! Mine likes coming to the range now. 6 months ago just looking at my .22 made her cry.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Thats a great story, my wife started out with a P22 and now is comfortable with a 9mm. Still doesn't like my .45 but that's ok.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    My wife got a P22 at the last 1500, did the same you did, rented it at Pops first. Paid around $275 NIB I think, and if you want the dealer, will post it later tonight.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    As for the wife & Shooting, GREAT!!!! Mine likes coming to the range now. 6 months ago just looking at my .22 made her cry.

Not only does she like going to the range, she's a moderator on a GUN FORUM! *dies*

Spread the word... we could use more women here. ;)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ryandeleeuw340
    Top Bottom