• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    My 21 yo daughter was never interested in guns. I finally got her to go today to the range. I think she had a pretty good time. I started her out with my .22 Beretta auto. She shot a couple mags. Next I moved her up to the S&W 66 shooting light .38 loads. She ended up shooting a whole box through it. She passed on the Glock .40 though (I had to shoot one round through each before she would shoot it so she could get an idea of the recoil). She did try the SA 1911a1 .45. Unfortunately it bit her on the thumb so that one was done. She now seems interested in getting her a pistol to carry. She liked the looks of a pink Walther .22. Not sure she would carry it as it is pretty long. I figure after a couple more trips to the range we will see what she wants Daddy to buy for her. I certainly was glad she finally has seen the light and taken an interest.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Congrats! I am hoping my daughter (19) will accompany me to the range soon. Somehow got "liberalled" up her 1st year of college and went from fairly neutral to "bad guns!":dunno: I hope to undo it starting with some .22 plinking. Conversations lately have included lots of eye rolling.:rolleyes: Keep us posted on how she takes to it.:)

KevinH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My daughter went through college thinking guns are violent. Now she believes she should know how to shoot, just in case. Gave her a basic safety and operations class. Now she wants to hit the range. Doesn't want to own/carry. We'll see. I guess my paranoia is starting to wear through the liberalism. :runaway:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I'm 20, need any help training the young women? :laugh:

Good to see new people enter into the world of firearms though. College actually had the opposite effect on me, I came from MD and school here in IN has shown me the light :rockwoot:

:patriot:

dclaarjr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Fremont, Ohio
    Good job. Don't push her and let her make up her own mind.

My daughter is 24. She was always anti herself.

She recently bought a house and started getting the letters from the SO about sexual predators in the neighborhood. At this point she started asking a few questions, but would not go to the range.

She works afternoons, and one night after work she was walking her dog and a neighbors dog attacked them. No one was hurt but she was scared. She started asking more questions and started asking more about self defense. I didn't have much that would work with her small hands, so I took her to my favorite gun dealer and we looked at some guns. She liked the feel of the Bersa 380 Thunder so I bought it for her Birthday.

She now goes to the range with me as often as she can. During the summer she works 6 days a week so it's not very often right now. She also has her CCW class scheduled and will be getting her CHL soon.

All you can do is point out the realities of our world, reinforce that you carry because of these realities and let her make up her own mind. My wife has always hated me having guns. I have finally (after 24 years of marriage) got her to go to the range and shoot my MKI (I bought it after my daughter came around) and now she thinks it is hers. We are planning on going to the range Saturday and i borrowed my daughters Bersa. If she likes it I will be buying another one. I don't see a CHL for my wife yet, but give it time.

:rockwoot:

Substance-P

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    Congrats on what was the first of hopefully many more trips. I recently purchased a shotgun for my wife after she accompanied my Dad, Brother, and me to do some trap shooting. She had a lot of fun, so I bought her her own 20 gauge. Since then, we have made a couple trips to the range, both times at her request! One of the times I took along some of my handguns for her to try. She wasn't real fond of the Browning HP or the 1911, but she loved the Ruger MKIII. I have found that after you can get them there for the first time, many women enjoy shooting and are quickly a better shot than many men.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Way to go! I took my daughter(7 months) to the rang and got her some 22short action. Just joking, I hope to get her started ASAP on BB guns and 22lr but that will be years down the road. I think she'd like one of those pink 22 Chipmunck rifles.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I forgot to brag a little bit. We put the target out fairly close, about 25 feet. We had a big Obama... errr I mean Osama target hanging. Everyone of her shots were in the body trunk area. None missed. Sniff Sniff, I'm so proud. THe rules said no head shots if you were close up. She was a little disappointed as she wanted to shoot him in the head. Even though she has never had an interest in shooting, she has always been a right thinking American like her Dad.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    My daughter (9) is completely non-committal. She's just bored at the range and I haven't found a way to engage her interest.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I am just looking at getting a handgun for my 25 year old and getting her lessons to use.

That's awesome, Eric. Be sure to read through some of the other posts here; there's a lot of good suggestions! :) The most important part: let HER pick HER gun. :)

munky_3434

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Brazil, IN
    My daughter (9) is completely non-committal. She's just bored at the range and I haven't found a way to engage her interest.

try a paintball gun. when my daughter was 5 she tried that....the lack of noise, recoil, and being able to see kept her interest. and it was a easy way to show her the basics

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    My daughter has had her own 22 since she was 12 ( now 16) and she out shoots both her brothers 19, 22 ...and they hate it..lol..

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    We went to the range today to sight my 10/22. She grumbled about having to go, and then got mad when we got there because I didn't bring her Crickett.

Top Bottom