• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PEARCE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    I took my wife on the range for the first time. She never shot a gun and never been around a range. The first time I shot the gun it scared the crap out of her. She didn't know what to expect other then what she has seen in movies.

I showed her the basics and didn't scare her or give her a big gun knowing that it would knock her down (BIG TURN OFF). She was using a glock 9mm on a target 20 yards away. The first shot went a foot off center, and then her Anne Oakley side came out. My wife then shot 14 more rounds with a tight grouping around the bulls-eye. At this time I realized two things. One, I think we found a new couple sport. Secondly, DON'T EVER **** HER OFF.

My wife and I are fairly young (both 24). Although shooting together is pretty fun, we don't know too many couples our age that shoot in central Indy. Nonetheless, I'm glad I took my wife to the range and had her properly trained on how to shoot. She feels more comfortable with firearms and is looking to get her handgun permit in November.

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    My girl friend and i are your guys age...well ok she is, ill be 21 soon. but i need to get her out to the range, she has been around guns. her dad has a few including a SKS and both her brother are in the military, USMC and the Navy

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    excellent!!!

I too my wife to the range the other day, too. She had an OK time, and discovered that she likes my GP100 with mild .38 loads in it.

She didn't like my P99 9mm, but I don't have a Glock to see if she'd like it (lower bore axis = less flippy recoil)

-J-

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    What range did you visit??

I took my wife out last weekend for some couple's target practice. It was her first time shooting period - she had refused to come along multiple times until a mutual friend kinda guilted her into coming (other girl says "I'd go with you, Bubba.." so the wife decides to do so..)

Anyhow, wife isn't an anti, so to speak, but she's just never seen a point to having a firearm. She doesn't hunt, although her grandpa does, and she has a big faith in Law Enforcement so even having lived in less-than-glamorous areas hasn't swayed this feeling for her. Anyhow, she starts out with a .22, to kinda get a feeling of what it's actually like to shoot. She quickly sees how much fun a 9mm can be and runs through 50 rounds in the blink of an eye. She tries all kinds of things, standing, kneeling, short and long distances, the works.

When we get home she says she wants to go again, but still doesn't really "see" why I feel the need to have firearms around. Her dad calls later in the evening, and I pester her to tell him what she'd done that afternoon. She does, and then she kinda drops into a weird passiveness, almost like she's being lectured. Several "uh-huh"s later, she hands me the phone.

"Hey, thanks for finally teaching her how to shoot.." I hear from father-in-law. "She's never really understood that when you REALLY need a firearm, the people you *know* have them won't be there. You need to be able to rely on yourself.."

I thank him for the compliments and hand her back the phone. She gets a little more excited and starts talking about what it was like, what she shot, and at some point she mentions the 1911. I seldom bring it out of the safe, as it's not my training or carry gun unless it's REALLY hit the fan, but she saw it once and likened it to "the handgun Magnum, PI carries". Well, dad (who appreciates a good tool, gadget, etc) gets back on the phone asking TONS of questions. Seems he knows firearms from HIS dad, but learned everything back in the mid-1970s so he's really only familiar with the 1911 and the revolver. He's bringing a case of ammo next time he comes to visit, but I'm going to bust it ALL out. Maybe teach him some new stuff :)

It should be interesting!

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    cool trend developing

Wow! Must have been something in the water last week.:): My wife joined me at the range for the first time this week. We had been over safe handling (4 rules) but she suddenly decided she was ready to actually shoot. She didn't do too bad with a .22 at 15 yards but she didn't really get used to the bang. It startled her every time, even though she was expecting it. I took my turn with the .45 but she didn't want to shoot it. Said it was much too loud. She had on good hearing protection but she startles easily.

I do hope she can get past this or it won't be much fun for her. At a minimum, she is much more ready to use a handgun if need be than she was before.:yesway::yesway::yesway:

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Wow! Must have been something in the water last week.:): My wife joined me at the range for the first time this week. We had been over safe handling (4 rules) but she suddenly decided she was ready to actually shoot. She didn't do too bad with a .22 at 15 yards but she didn't really get used to the bang. It startled her every time, even though she was expecting it. I took my turn with the .45 but she didn't want to shoot it. Said it was much too loud. She had on good hearing protection but she startles easily.

I do hope she can get past this or it won't be much fun for her. At a minimum, she is much more ready to use a handgun if need be than she was before.:yesway::yesway::yesway:

fwiw, after six months, I still jump the first couple of times I hear a gunshot (even when I'm the one shooting). Then it becomes background noise. :) Unless she goes shooting with you regularly, it would surprise me if she stops jumping at the noise.

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    I think that most women would and do enjoy shooting all types of guns. My girlfriend was not an anti-gun person but when I bought my first gun about two years ago, she was not happy about it. Too dangerous to have at home, no need for it, etc. But, I bought it anyways, and then I got her to go shooting with me. At that time, I only owned my Smith & Wesson M&P .40. Bit of a big gun for her first time, but no other choice.

She was nervous as hell and I went through some basics with her, anyways, first shot - she jumped and then turned and looked at me and said, "Damn baby, that's hot!"

We go all the time now and she is a pretty good shot, I bought a Glock 17 and eventually a 12 ga. She loves all of them, and tomorrow at the Valpo Gun Show, she is going to buy her first handgun.

To be honest, I am very proud of her that she is mature enough to respect a firearm and enjoy it and not be judgmental of others who enjoy guns and shooting sports, etc.

She is a hot girly girl and if you saw her with her Louis Vuitton purse or Jimmy Chu shoes, you would never guess that she can put 75% of a 17 round clip into the center of a target at 25 yards.

PEARCE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    What range did you visit??

I went to Pop Guns in Indy. However, it's a 45 minute drive. I'm waiting for Wyatt's in Cicero to open their new gun range. It's only a 15 min drive from my home in Westfield and 3 mins from HCFG range.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    My girlfriend and I are about your age too (22) and in Indy. I have not brought her out to the range yet, I am waiting for Marion County Fish and Game to start taking new members for next year (Oct 7th). Once I join I will bring her there, $5 seems like a good deal for guests.

I think she will like it once she gives it a fair chance.

PEARCE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    She is a hot girly girl and if you saw her with her Louis Vuitton purse or Jimmy Chu shoes, you would never guess that she can put 75% of a 17 round clip into the center of a target at 25 yards.

The same with my wife. She used to be in fashion design. When I was showing her some guns for her to buy, she always tend to look for the pretty one. However, she fell in favor of the Glock, mainly because of the weight and recoil.

Last edited:

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    The same with my wife. She used to be in fashion design. When I was showing her some guns for her to buy, she always tend to look for the pretty one. However, she fell in favor of the Glock, mainly because of the weight and recoil.
    And it can always be duracoated pretty colors. ;)
    I vote for Goddess Purple. :D

dcr_95.jpg

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    My girlfriend and I are about your age too (22) and in Indy. I have not brought her out to the range yet, I am waiting for Marion County Fish and Game to start taking new members for next year (Oct 7th). Once I join I will bring her there, $5 seems like a good deal for guests.

I think she will like it once she gives it a fair chance.

I'll see you at the Oct. Meeting then. You'll have a chance there to meet a few good INGO members, too.

Top Bottom