• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I bought a set of tires yesterday. When they were installing them on my truck, they said that the lugnuts wouldn't fit on the new rims. They couldn't/wouldn't tell me WHY they wouldn't work,just that they wouldn't work. So they reinstalled my old tires and rims. When I got home, I installed the new tires and rims without any problems.......save one. The moron crossthreaded one of the lugnuts. I broke the stud and a ratchet wrench (I know, you don't use a ratchet for this as a rule) trying to remove the lugnut. It seems to me that they were yanking my chain about lugnuts not fitting. Maybe it was their way of protesting me OCing. If I am wrong I will retract my review of their service. I don't think I'm wrong.So now I will be replacing the broken stud tomarrow.:xmad: As always my opinion is worth every bit that you paid for it.:D

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    I'm by no means an expert, but there are different kinds of lug nuts and you have to have a certain shape for certain wheels. The lugs may have went on fine for you, but they may not be holding the wheel correctly. Just keep that in mind. Hopefully someone with more(any) experience chimes in.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I believe there's a "no guns" sign on the Goodyear / Gemini... Store-wide policy.

I never had any issues there when I was a customer, but I never bought tires. I only did oil changes & very minor stuff.

You want to know incompetence? Be glad you didn't go to Sears Automotive just across the parking lot from Gemini.

-J-

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I would've shot EVERYONE in the building when they said they couldn't install the new rims. They should have had the correct lug nuts so they could install the new rims...and yes, there is a big difference between lug nuts. If you had factory rims and were trying to have aftermarket rims installed, they most likely weren't holding the rims properly.

What is wrong with using a ratchet for removing wheels? My breaker bar came up missing so I've used ratchets a time or two to break the lugs loose (usually use a tire iron to break them when I have one handy).

Oh yeah, if you take a vehicle to someone and they use an air impact wrench without a torque stick...you shouldn't even hold someone responsible if they break a stud.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    If it was indeed crossthreaded, call them up and they should repair it or have it repaired on their dime for you. I know for a fact, when I worked at WalMart if someone cross threaded a lugnut and it broke later, whether at home for the owner or next time it came in for service, we paid for it.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Wheels are installed and the lugs are holding just fine. The lugs are nothing special. If GY has a no guns policy, it isn't posted and nothing was said to me about OCing. I still think I was having my chain yanked. Or maybe when they were born, the doctor used tongs on them and squeezed a little too much. I replaced the stud this morning and went ahead and replaced all of them on that wheel. Might as well since I was already doing it and dirty. It was worth it to me to do it myself instead of risking them screwing something else up.

I relinquish the soapbox to someone else. thank you for letting me vent. All is well again....for now......

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The sign at the Goodyear / Gemini might not be on there now, but it used to be. I saw it with my beady little eyes!

-J-

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    I'm more concerned with the lugnuts right now? Just because they go on and stay for a day does not make them right. So, a couple questions.
    1. OE wheels were steel or aluminum?
    2. OE wheels prob have a tapered seat for the lugnut, do the new wheels have the same style of tapered seat? Or is the opening larger for a shank to drop down inside the wheel?
    3. How did u install the new studs and "seat" them?

And if u know this stuff, I mean no disrespect.

Top Bottom