Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    NW IN
    I was shocked to see an actual positive gun story among the 5 negative
    ones today. It's very smothering here in this sandwich between Ohio and
    Illinois. +1 for Michigan.

10 years later, opposition to concealed guns fades - wsbt.com

IONIA, Mich. (AP) — Ten years after Michigan expanded the right of law-abiding adults to carry firearms, some of those who opposed the change say the dangers they feared didn't come to pass.

State police figures say about 276,000 Michiganians now have concealed weapons permits. That's up from about 52,000 people 10 years ago.
    The first year alone, 53,000 permits were approved, Booth newspapers report.

State police records show that 2 percent of concealed weapons license holders have been sanctioned for misbehavior.

Ionia County Prosecutor Ronald Schafer is president of Michigan's prosecutors' association, which fought the change.

He tells the Detroit Free Press that looking back, the issue seems to have been a "big nothing."

Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard says problems with gun violence don't tend to come from licensed gun carriers

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm impressed that the Ionia county prosecutor can admit his past mistaken concerns. Must be retired or something.

Michigan still has a ways to go. They're very protective of the wild game (rightfully so).

But having to inform, not being able to carry loaded long guns in vehicles (I'm assuming that's anti poaching law), and the handgun registration is very much a stinker.

I've heard that they have changed the handgun purchasing requirements for the better, but don't know for sure.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Oakland county politics are relatively conservative despite having Pontiac smack dab in the middle of it. I was involved in a large IT related project for the county gov't in '00 & '01. I was suprised by their almost 180 degree view of things compared to the neighboring counties that house Detroit & Ann Arbor. At that time they were the second or third wealthiest county in the nation on a per capita basis.

Top Bottom