• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gopher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    A post by gopher was just made and edited about this being on November 4th. Just to clarify this event is still being held on October 20th and the field rifle event is still being held on November 4th. Got a guy taking one of these spots for the pop up event tonight. I think we’ll both snag some spots for the November event as well.

Side note I just purchased my ticket today and saw the Labor Day sale just now! Is there anyway I can retro this deal?! Thanks in advance!

That was my screw-up that I realized after I submitted the post. I was hoping that no one saw it before I made the correction...

The AR-15 Pop-Up Target is October 20.

The Marty Brown Memorial Rifle Match is November 3-4.

I can't retroactively apply a discount for one person without doing it for everybody. Sorry...

Kpquinn9100

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2015
    Camby
    Ok just clarifying. For those that have done this before, would a scoped rifle hurt or help? I realize there isn’t much time to adjust but I’ve got a throw lever that adjusts pretty quickly if need be. Or should I just toss the idea out and bring something with no magnification? Was also concerned about field of view issues.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    For those that have done this before, would a scoped rifle hurt or help?
    It will hurt and help.

You've nailed the issues in your post. Yes, magnification will help you hit targets that are farther away buuuuutttt..... that decreased field of view when you look through your magnified optic starts to limit the time it'll take to line up your point of aim. These targets only stay up for a certain amount of time and if you can't find them quickly enough they'll disappear.

At field shoots like this, you don't want to use your optic to find the targets. You'll use your naked eye. If you need an optic to increase your chances of hitting the targets, I recommend using something in the 4x range so you still have a fairly wide field of view but can zoom in a bit when needed. And by "zooming in" I'm not saying use your throw lever to go from 3x while scanning to 9x while engaging the 300 yard target. I'm saying look over your rifle and use both eyes to scan the course and then when Ivan pops up, look through your 4x scope and shoot him. If you're trying to use 3x for the 100 yard targets and 6x for the 300 yard targets you'll quickly miss them all.

Set it and forget it.

As others have mentioned, irons are just fine for this event. A red dot is great. If you do use a scope, use a lower-powered option and don't try to change the power while running the course. When the military does this type of shooting they set their sites so they can aim center mass and shoot every distance without changing anything. That allows more time for things like steadying your shot and detecting the next target.

These events are awesome because you'll learn a lot about what works for you. Unfortunately... that's a lesson almost always taught by experiencing what doesn't work for you.

Kpquinn9100

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2015
    Camby
    Awesome answer slim. Scoped rifle will stay at home. The field of view and peripheral sight is what I was worried about. I’ll just be bringing an m4 carbine style rifle with a red dot then!

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Look up "battle sight zero". You'll thank me later. RR teaches a 25 yard zero but I prefer a 50 yd zero on a red dot gun.

One of the best explanations here (someone post up the Youtube version): http://gunwebsites.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Guns-AR15-Zero-Introduction.pdf

What Hop said was proved out in my data collecting process. I started with a 25 yard zero; but, found that the 50 yard zero gave me a bit flatter arc at the distances I cared about(100 to 300) and less hold under at 100 yards.

Top Bottom