• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My current match rifle is nothing fancy, a model 6 Stag Varmint rifle 24in 8 twist barrel. I added a Jewell trigger, MO's front globe sight, RPA rear sight with a Gehmann eyepiece. Broke it in and shot 30 shots in the x ring of a standard SR1 reduced target and you can only see 12 or 13 ragged holes. This was in Prone position using a standard military web sling. Luckily, the wind was dead calm that day. 77 grain Sierra bullets crunching a case full of Varget. Not a bad iron sight group for an old guy who spent most of 2004 legally blind without a drivers license. I simply put the fuzzy black dot (target) perfectly centered in the fuzzy front ring (MO's Aperature sight) in the middle of the fuzzy hole of the peep sight. Good vision is over rated.

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    My current match rifle is nothing fancy, a model 6 Stag Varmint rifle 24in 8 twist barrel. I added a Jewell trigger, MO's front globe sight, RPA rear sight with a Gehmann eyepiece. Broke it in and shot 30 shots in the x ring of a standard SR1 reduced target and you can only see 12 or 13 ragged holes. This was in Prone position using a standard military web sling. Luckily, the wind was dead calm that day. 77 grain Sierra bullets crunching a case full of Varget. Not a bad iron sight group for an old guy who spent most of 2004 legally blind without a drivers license. I simply put the fuzzy black dot (target) perfectly centered in the fuzzy front ring (MO's Aperature sight) in the middle of the fuzzy hole of the peep sight. Good vision is over rated.

:rockwoot:Fancy is relative to what you are used to!! Those true peep sights can really work for old eyes as looking through the small diameter peep brings all into focus for most people. I'm assuming 100 yards for this 100yard target? X-ring of a SR-1 is 1.35 inches. Good shooting!

Les

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    I'll shoot circles around you guys' MOA groups! (Literally!) I KNOW my rifles are better than I am, and wish I could afford enough ammo and trigger time to NEED better gear, but my 4 lovely children will make sure that doesn't happen for the next 17 or so years!
    The Highpower guys are the cream of the crop, in my book! Doing with open sights, what I can't consistently do with 16X magnification! Amazing! Dean, If you can get me shooting 5MOA consistently from my .308 Garand, you'll be my hero! I was ecstatic a couple months ago when I put 7 of 8 on a 6" steel at 100, from prone, unsupported!

And would somebody teach me how to properly use my web sling!?:dunno:

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    It's on the short list, for sure!

...Alan? Will you come watch my kids, so I can go to an Appleseed!? Oh, and can I borrow 500 rounds of .308!?...Some gas money would be nice too! :):

Seriously though, I want to get My 13 year old, my wife, and myself out to an appleseed this spring. I have a Winchester model 72 that seems plenty accurate to be a good appleseed gun, since I can't afford to shoot my Garand all day!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I shoot 5 shot groups as that has been the "standard" with the folks I've rubbed elbows with. I'm pretty confident that my rifle is a sub MOA shooter. I did some ammo testing awhile back and these are the groups I fired that day. My rifle wasn't as keen on the Black Hills offerings (unfortunately) as it is the Federal it's used to digesting. I don't have access to the fancy software that measures groups so these were done the old fashioned way with a dial caliper, the potential for human error certainly exists with these numbers. They were all .308 if anyone wants to check my work.
    155grAMAX2_zps96dc45e4.jpg

180grAccu2_zps5ba485e3.jpg

180grAccu1_zps7055eaab.jpg

155grAMAX1_zps937cbe54.jpg

168grFGMM_zps0bc05b7e.jpg

165grTB_zps45101b8e.jpg

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    I shoot 5 shot groups as that has been the "standard" with the folks I've rubbed elbows with. I'm pretty confident that my rifle is a sub MOA shooter. I did some ammo testing awhile back and these are the groups I fired that day. My rifle wasn't as keen on the Black Hills offerings (unfortunately) as it is the Federal it's used to digesting. I don't have access to the fancy software that measures groups so these were done the old fashioned way with a dial caliper, the potential for human error certainly exists with these numbers. They were all .308 if anyone wants to check my work.
    155grAMAX2_zps96dc45e4.jpg

180grAccu2_zps5ba485e3.jpg

180grAccu1_zps7055eaab.jpg

155grAMAX1_zps937cbe54.jpg

168grFGMM_zps0bc05b7e.jpg

165grTB_zps45101b8e.jpg
    what rifle were you using? thats some impressive results.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    I suspect there are more than a few shooters on this site that are capable of exceptional performance. But, most of us probably don't have the discipline or patience to get to and maintain that level.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    I suspect there are more than a few shooters on this site that are capable of exceptional performance. But, most of us probably don't have the discipline or patience to get to and maintain that level.
    i don't think i have a rifle that can shoot like that let alone the practice to shoot that well.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    what rifle were you using? thats some impressive results.

Remington 700, slightly modified.

IMG_9120.jpg

Here's an older group from clean vs dirty, cold bore testing

2011-12-12_12-40-23_269.jpg

The rifle makes it pretty easy. I snuck two rounds through a dime several years ago, which isn't all that impressive. I also managed to have two separate holes through it and didn't break the edge which I probably couldn't do again in 100 years of trying.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Don't compete, just fool around with hand loads in various rifles. Once I get a load worked up, I just shoot 3 shots to maintain discipline in my old age. When the weather breaks this spring, they will all get shot again. Here is one group that I have on PB, will take pics of better ones shot later on that was shot out of my Cooper 21, with 55 gr. V-max @ 100 yds.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Nice rifle, it's obviously a shooter with the right pilot. I've always found semi auto rifles to be much less forgiving than bolt actions. I had a .308 that started out as a DPMS, once I finished part swapping it would shoot sub MOA but only if I was really dialed in. I had to hold the same grip pressure, rearward pressure, bipod load pressure, etc. and if anything wasn't as it should have been it would send out a flier. It went 5/5 on a 12" round steel at 1200 yards in Tennessee before I sold it, to the amazement of some naysayers.

One of these days I want to bag/bench my bolt gun and see just what it'll actually do. I've only shot it off of the bipod or tripod, I suspect it can do better.

Top Bottom