Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

I would not fire smokeless in it.

The following information is for black powder and black powder subs only.

First, if you're using a #11 cap setup, stick with 2Fg black. It ignites at 300 degrees while the other stuff ignites at around 600 degrees and the #11 cap may give you a "snap boom" effect which will lead you to flinch a bit. Even if you don't flinch, it will still be irritating.

All loads should be done by volume using 2Fg or equivalent (no 3Fg etc).

I'm assuming it's a .50. Folks who know like to start with caliber size (.50 cal = 50grn starting load). I would not go higher than 100gns, no matter what it says in the manual. Hogdon and other companies know their powders better than the gun companies. Max load usually is 1/2 the weight of a pure lead round ball in the gun's caliber, or about 90gns for the .50.

Best accuracy is usually found around the average of the two. My sidelock .50 really likes 70gns of real black powder.

You can push it, but expect an accuracy drop off, and don't use conicals for the math. A lot of the time, conicals go the opposite way in terms of accuracy: A standard Minie ball load for a .58 caliber Springfield Rifled Musket was the .58 caliber, 500gn Mini Ball driven by only 60gns of 2Fg black powder. It would still penetrate three people or so.

I'm quickly learning that inlines do not have much advantage in killing power or range over sidelocks firing balls.

Josh

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    no load is the same in more than one gun... therefore nobody else "good load" will do you any good. get out there and put the time in the trenches and figure out for yourself what YOUR good load is.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Hello,

I would not fire smokeless in it.

Josh

why not. the gun is designed for smokless use. i have been tinkering with one for awhile. i just looked in the book and saw they recomended 42 gr of n-110 and went with that. id be carfull going above that since there is no case to see pressure on.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Each individual rifle DOES seem to have its own preference as to load. That said, much over 100 grains of any blackpowder is just wasted. Put a tarp down directly in front of your shooting bench, or whatever station you use, load up 150 grains or so, and see how much residue and unburnt powder ends up on the tarp. It's surprising. Also, each rifle seems to have one or two projectiles that it prefers. My CVA hawken really likes a plain old patched roundball. My Frontier Wolf I'm still working with, but it does like the powerbelt bullets and hornady sabots. Shoots roundballs ok, but not the best.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Funny.....

I was looking at these and found out Savage has discontinued them. I like the idea of a smokepole without the smoke and hassle of the nasty blackpowder cleanup. I found them in Natchez Shooters Supply's flyer and they were marked down. I happened to be in Logansport last week and found a stainless/laminate thumbhole at a small shop... $799 plus tax. Seemed a little steep and it was being held for someone. Checked with Natchez and they are gone.:dunno:

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    why not. the gun is designed for smokless use. i have been tinkering with one for awhile. i just looked in the book and saw they recomended 42 gr of n-110 and went with that. id be carfull going above that since there is no case to see pressure on.

Hello,

It was approved for smokeless, yes, but it has also been discontinued because smokeless was causing erosion of the breech plug and subsequent firings damaged the gun and often, shooters.

Google "savage muzzleloader explosion".

Josh

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Hello,

It was approved for smokeless, yes, but it has also been discontinued because smokeless was causing erosion of the breech plug and subsequent firings damaged the gun and often, shooters.

Google "savage muzzleloader explosion".

Josh

i was told by a savage rep (who coould not know im not sure) that they were being discontinued because the price of production compared to there other rifles did not make sence

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    the gun can handle smokeless just fine..
    It might be discontinued because of sales.. $500 + for a Muzzle loader does not do well for general population..

Stick with the factory recomended loadsl I use 44 grains 5744 with a 250 barnes bullet, MMP HPH-12 sabot .. kills what i need it to..
    I would not recomend using sub bases with smokeless, The guy who blew his gun up was playing around with stuff like that..
    use the gun as designed and it will work great..
    the vent hole can be replaced & should be done so every hundered or so shots..
    I change mine once a year..
    If you are trying to push the limits with the rifle, you will probably want to replace it more often..

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    the gun can handle smokeless just fine..
    It might be discontinued because of sales.. $500 + for a Muzzle loader does not do well for general population..

this ^^^^

i have hunted with one that my friends father ownes for 6 years when i don't get a deer during firearms season, they handle smokeless fine when you stick to the recommended loads, problems occur when people try to measure the powder like black powder :noway: or try to load them hot,

stick to the recommended loads, pre measure them at home on a reloading scale,

ill ask him what he runs in his that has worked great for both of us

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    but it has also been discontinued because smokeless was causing erosion of the breech plug and subsequent firings damaged the gun and often, shooters.
    obviously your opinion not Savages.---there have been 3 blown rifles I am aware of. one of which was obviously a failure to seat the projectile fully into the bottom of the bore. no one was seriously hurt. the other two are less documented so I can't comment. they do erode the vent liner but 10ml shooters who know what they're doing replace them when necessary. Savage discontinued them due to shrinking sales--call them.

A 2008 Look at Savage 10ML-II Preferred Loads

44grains AA 5744---mmp orange sabot w/ either a Barnes original 300grain #457010 or Hornady 300grain #4500 will get right at 2000fps and good accuraccy

Steve

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    There were many cases settled out-of-court with the provision for a monetary fine if the settlement was talked about.

At least that's what I gather.

I'm not going to name names, but I am not the only one who thinks this way. I asked the question of "a man I know" many years ago, when I was exploring the possibility of maybe getting into muzzleloading.

I know that's vague, but that's really all I can be.

Regardless, I personally believe that, approved for the pressures or not, using smokeless in a muzzle stuffer of any sort is asking for trouble eventually.

Josh

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    There were many cases settled out-of-court with the provision for a monetary fine if the settlement was talked about.

At least that's what I gather.

I'm not going to name names, but I am not the only one who thinks this way. I asked the question of "a man I know" many years ago, when I was exploring the possibility of maybe getting into muzzleloading.

I know that's vague, but that's really all I can be.

Regardless, I personally believe that, approved for the pressures or not, using smokeless in a muzzle stuffer of any sort is asking for trouble eventually.

Josh

guess i forgot about this thread. i think the reason alot of folks think the savage is so dangerious is that people who dont reload dont know that there is a big diffrence between 45gr and 46. they think that eyeballing it is close enough, therefor making a dangerious situation.

that said im not a big savage 10ml fan. the reason im not a fan is i think accurate powder measure in field conditions is extreamly difficult and black powder is more forgiving than smokless. but if your carful i think its a very safe gun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    guess i forgot about this thread. i think the reason alot of folks think the savage is so dangerious is that people who dont reload dont know that there is a big diffrence between 45gr and 46. they think that eyeballing it is close enough, therefor making a dangerious situation.

that said im not a big savage 10ml fan. the reason im not a fan is i think accurate powder measure in field conditions is extreamly difficult and black powder is more forgiving than smokless. but if your carful i think its a very safe gun

you just pre measure the loads.. I take about 6 shots pre weighed and then have tripple 7 pellets as a back up...
    and that is for several days in the field..

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    you just pre measure the loads.. I take about 6 shots pre weighed and then have tripple 7 pellets as a back up...
    and that is for several days in the field..

i used those medical blood tubes to preload, but its hard to get all the powder out or not spill any. dont you have diffrent dope for the 777 than you do the smokeless

jghelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    May 12, 2010
    logansport IN
    i put my pre loads in spent 30-06 cases and went to the part store and bought some 5/16 vacuum plugs to cap the tops so they dont spill and stay nice and dry

Top Bottom